Podding a SeaSport 22

Latest update: all old gear removed, transom patched and waiting for paint and the new deck has been roughed in. Pod starts next week (we had to wait for the aluminum). All is going as expected with no unwanted surprises yet. Glad I put a deposit on a new engine as they are getting very hard to find and the ones left have COVID tax from what I’m hearing

Attachments

• 6713A4E3-08B0-468D-9B7A-326D60396D36.jpeg
    6713A4E3-08B0-468D-9B7A-326D60396D36.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 318
  • EF57A2EE-FA6A-4ED1-8451-F94F94F2C8AC.jpeg
    EF57A2EE-FA6A-4ED1-8451-F94F94F2C8AC.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 312
  • 92E0605E-BF20-4FA4-B836-BE672DBB12CD.jpeg
    92E0605E-BF20-4FA4-B836-BE672DBB12CD.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 317
are you staying with the cable steering or going hydraulic?
Hydraulic. I didn’t know cable was still an option with the new engines. I know I can convert my new Yamaha to digital steering if I choose to spend a few more $k down the road but going to stick with hydraulic for now

Hydraulic. I didn’t know cable was still an option with the new engines. I know I can convert my new Yamaha to digital steering if I choose to spend a few more $k down the road but going to stick with hydraulic for now
I completed this project on the same boat in 2017. Feel free to message me with any question you may have. After doing 50% of the work myself to "save money" I should have just dropped the boat off with PDR and had them take care of it. I was very happy with the end result and just sold the boat for a premium because of the outboard but it took 2 years of screwing around for completion. You are making the correct decision in my opinion going with the new 300. You'll never regret having enough horsepower, I went with a low hour used F225 and regretted it.

Very nice to see fiberglass used to fill the engine compartment instead of aluminum checkerplate that so many use.It should look like it was done originally from factory.
Yes I’m glad I’m getting the job done right. It won’t look exactly factory but damn close.. so far the shop said all areas they have worked on and holes they’ve patched revealed solid wood core (it’s not plywood but balsa core?) so no rot issues on a 20 year old boat that was neglected (by previous owner) and was moored for years without any proper care or maintenance!

I completed this project on the same boat in 2017. Feel free to message me with any question you may have. After doing 50% of the work myself to "save money" I should have just dropped the boat off with PDR and had them take care of it. I was very happy with the end result and just sold the boat for a premium because of the outboard but it took 2 years of screwing around for completion. You are making the correct decision in my opinion going with the new 300. You'll never regret having enough horsepower, I went with a low hour used F225 and regretted it.
It’s odd.. every time I YouTube boats in Florida or southern states, they have huge outboards. 300 to 350 is typical for a 22’ centre console down there. It seems that everyone up here used engines that are just enough power… eg 250 on a heavy SeaSport. Why is that? I know it costs a little more for a larger engine and mpg may not be quite as good but 300 seems right. We have a small family and often overnight on the boat - that’s a lot of weight!

It’s odd.. every time I YouTube boats in Florida or southern states, they have huge outboards. 300 to 350 is typical for a 22’ centre console down there. It seems that everyone up here used engines that are just enough power… eg 250 on a heavy SeaSport. Why is that? I know it costs a little more for a larger engine and mpg may not be quite as good but 300 seems right. We have a small family and often overnight on the boat - that’s a lot of weight!
Screenshot_20211029-161314.png

Nice to hear. I’m looking to pod my 24 Skagit this winter and am leaning to twin 200 Mercs.
Another awesome option for a 24’ would be the Suzuki dp 350. Probably cheaper to purchase, maintain and operate than twins. Also more room left on your pod

I snuck out of work yesterday and drove to Sooke in the pouring rain to check out the boat progress. Pod is underway but not a lot to see yet and some additional finishing and refining of the new fiberglass deck has been completed. Pod goes for powercoat next week and more finishing and gelcoat on deck. I’m looking forward to getting my boat back in my driveway so I can clean her all up and put her back together. With the new engine comes a new control panel / dash. I want to put a 9” lowrance in the dash (currently it’s on top of the dash and very inconvenient). If my unit is in my dash, I can no longer see it when I’m fishing at the rear helm… so somehow I need to rig a second head unit outside or just inside the rear cabin window. Smells like another $2,500 for two lowrance 9” Hds units :(

Attachments

• 1DBA4A7D-D9A0-433C-8EBF-3E3F581224CC.jpeg
    1DBA4A7D-D9A0-433C-8EBF-3E3F581224CC.jpeg
    225.7 KB · Views: 279
  • C6409BB6-B9F6-4994-98EC-24894D2BD84A.jpeg
    C6409BB6-B9F6-4994-98EC-24894D2BD84A.jpeg
    366.4 KB · Views: 269
  • 361B01C1-D3B1-416E-B2FC-5729A0FE064A.jpeg
    361B01C1-D3B1-416E-B2FC-5729A0FE064A.jpeg
    374.3 KB · Views: 254
  • 884F751D-ED09-40E3-956B-751E68D15A8E.jpeg
    884F751D-ED09-40E3-956B-751E68D15A8E.jpeg
    216 KB · Views: 262
  • 6197DBB3-CB6E-4A32-9396-EB96F17F4B17.jpeg
    6197DBB3-CB6E-4A32-9396-EB96F17F4B17.jpeg
    327.1 KB · Views: 291
First of all, really nice boat, Duro—- also, looks like really good workmanship going on!

So this is just one guy’s opinion regarding marine electronics so take it FWIW.... I also have a Seasport. Electronics is a flush-mounted Garmin in the console—-I can’t see it from the rear deck. But here’s the thing—-when you’re fishing, you’re fishing, you’re not navigating so no particular need to go full meal deal on your MFD....all you really want is a good stand alone sonar.

I bought my SEasport pre-owned —-the boat came with a second Garmin, mounted so it’s hung off the trailing edge of the wheelhouse. I never use it. When I fish, I’m typically oriented towards the stern....all my focus is on the downrigger and the rod, occasionally looking forward to make sure I’m not going to hit another boat.

So I mounted a stand-alone fish finder on ther starboard gunnel, back towards the transom—- I use that fish-finder 99% of the time I’m at the rear helm station in fishing mode. I have it on a quick-release bracket so I can remove it and keep it out of the weather

B44B942C-3A39-4C41-927F-9DFD0E7D201C.jpeg

You mentioned Sooke so I’m guessing what’s on tap for your new SEasport is salmon and hali.... put a P66 50/200 transducer on there and most of the stand alone fish finders will be just fine for that type of fishing. I’d recommend a Furuno just because they last forever, have really good signal processing so you get nice crisp target returns, and you could get one for very reasonable money.

The FCV 627 and FCV 587 series both have the new REz-Boost technology— you’d swear you were looking at the target returns you’d get from a long dollar CHIRP unit

They’re fairly easy to find pre-owned and since Furuno is so well made and supported by warranties and excellent customer service, I’ve never regretted buying their used stuff. Here’s a pre-owned Furuno FCV 627 on eBay-—connected to a P-66 Airmar, you’d be into it for under $ 600 and it would give you really good fish finding technology......just a thought. Good luck

Last edited:
Really nice looking work on your deck,the way it should be done.I wonder if they will be able to match your non-skid diamond pattern for your hatch? It can be done by laying up fiberglass over your existing pattern which gives you a reverse pattern ,otherwise they use the pulled off piece as a mold and you end up with the exact copy of existing pattern.After all this work(expensive),you should still be able to afford a fancy rod holder like (Sharphooks) has. :cool:

Last edited:
Are you doing any additional reinforcement down the stringers and under the deck connection by the scrupper holes? I would highly recommend that you do, I didn't when I build mine and regretted it, I had to pull everything back out and added three layers of biaxial epoxy at all connections to the transom. Don't let them tell you its not necessary, it is and you will develop cracks if you don't. The factory only used 1 layer of fiberglass on those connections because the transom didn't have any weight on it!

Are you doing any additional reinforcement down the stringers and under the deck connection by the scrupper holes? I would highly recommend that you do, I didn't when I build mine and regretted it, I had to pull everything back out and added three layers of biaxial epoxy at all connections to the transom. Don't let them tell you its not necessary, it is and you will develop cracks if you don't. The factory only used 1 layer of fiberglass on those connections because the transom didn't have any weight on it!
Hey captain, do you have a SeaSport?

Yes I do! Here is the build thread form two years ago

Add the reinforcement you will be back in there after your first couple trips fixing it if you don’t

Back