Podding a SeaSport 22

DuroBoat

Well, the SeaSport is getting podded. This is a thread for all the guys out there that DO NOT have the skills, time or space to take on a podding project - pretty much everything will be done by local shops and we will learn what this actually costs if you’re not able to do the work yourself. I’ll do the little things like cleaning and pulling old wires etc but removing the Volvo Penta, all fibreglass work and installation of a new outboard by others. Budget = $55,000. We are going with a new Yamaha 300 because there is only high hour used crap out there. Boat was dropped off in Sooke yesterday to have the old gear removed and start the pod. Timeline is 2 months to complete all fibreglass and pod.F6A2518E-7FD3-4F40-86E1-0C6DA977DA17.jpeg

Attachments

• 82696C7C-5D52-49ED-804E-6C1DBD81E08F.jpeg
    82696C7C-5D52-49ED-804E-6C1DBD81E08F.jpeg
    329.2 KB · Views: 202
  • 6EF6E354-9382-44A7-8354-5141002695C4.jpeg
    6EF6E354-9382-44A7-8354-5141002695C4.jpeg
    229.3 KB · Views: 187
  • 45544279-901F-4ED8-8521-ACE5EF360BEE.jpeg
    45544279-901F-4ED8-8521-ACE5EF360BEE.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 196
Looking forward to seeing your project being done,That's a boat I would love to have with an outboard.Will your pod be a full hull extension?A 250 Yam would be more than enough power for that boat but I don't know how much weight the 300 will add.Jenkins doing the conversion?

Hey Rayvon, yes full hull extension despite what the manufacturer recommends (this was a big debate). 300 yammy weighs the same as a 250. Jenkins in Sooke for the pod and fibreglass.

Well, the SeaSport is getting podded. This is a thread for all the guys out there that DO NOT have the skills, time or space to take on a podding project - pretty much everything will be done by local shops and we will learn what this actually costs if you’re not able to do the work yourself. I’ll do the little things like cleaning and pulling old wires etc but removing the Volvo Penta, all fibreglass work and installation of a new outboard by others. Budget = $55,000. We are going with a new Yamaha 300 because there is only high hour used crap out there. Boat was dropped off in Sooke yesterday to have the old gear removed and start the pod. Timeline is 2 months to complete all fibreglass and pod.View attachment 71142

I will be calling them Monday as well.... Are they doing the glass work for hole?

What was your rough cost?

Hey Rayvon, yes full hull extension despite what the manufacturer recommends (this was a big debate). 300 yammy weighs the same as a 250. Jenkins in Sooke for the pod and fibreglass.
Good choices all round I think,should ride like a 24 without the added weight.

I will be calling them Monday as well.... Are they doing the glass work for hole?

What was your rough cost?
Yes they are doing the glass work and a bunch of small fibreglass repairs. They are still very busy with pod projects, no sign of it slowing down in the marine industry! My rough coat is $11k for all fibreglass work and pod - it’s by the hour so it is what it is end the end.

Yes they are doing the glass work and a bunch of small fibreglass repairs. They are still very busy with pod projects, no sign of it slowing down in the marine industry! My rough coat is $11k for all fibreglass work and pod - it’s by the hour so it is what it is end the end.
Interesting. I received an estimate for more than double that for just the pod

Is the pod going to be made out of aluminum or fiberglass?

I am not trying to disagree with the full hull extension but have you reached out to Dwayne at PDR marine? He makes all the brackets fit Seasport and has done a huge amounts of conversions. He may have done good input on the full hull extension vs the typical bracket you see on the Sea Sports. Just a thought.

I am not trying to disagree with the full hull extension but have you reached out to Dwayne at PDR marine? He makes all the brackets fit Seasport and has done a huge amounts of conversions. He may have done good input on the full hull extension vs the typical bracket you see on the Sea Sports. Just a thought.
I had a long chat with Dwayne - good guy and lots of advice but I still think I’m gonna go with a full depth pod.. there are benefits to both.

I had a long chat with Dwayne - good guy and lots of advice but I still think I’m gonna go with a full depth pod.. there are benefits to both.
Sounds like you have done your research. Look forward to seeing the progress.

Just make sure they dont make it too wide as then its a floatation pod FYI ive seen may a pod done where the boat sits way forward as the butt end is way too high THEN you have to put lead in it.
mine is only 25 inchs wide FYI . Rayvon knows what im talking about

Were you having issues with the i/o or you just wanted to get rid of the doghouse etc. and gain the floor space?

Were you having issues with the i/o or you just wanted to get rid of the doghouse etc. and gain the floor space?
I recently installed a completely rebuilt 5.7Gxi that purrs. After we chased a few break-in gremlins, there were no issues but this was my first inboard so I didn’t know what to expect.. at the end of the summer, I REALLY did not like the doghouse, didn’t like that my fish wells were getting warmed up when running the io, didn’t like running the blower every time I start the io, didn’t like constantly checking for leaks through the leg, didn’t like the paint flaking on the leg, didn’t like that I couldn’t lift the leg out of the water, didn’t like maintaining a closed cooling system, didn’t like the noise of a io… I gave it an honest try tho. I loved the it for the fuel economy, manoeuvrability and center of gravity.

The pod and glass work shouldn’t cost 11k. You can get a very nice aluminum painted pod built for around 3k. Unless you are getting a crazy amount of extra glasswork done I think you could do it significantly cheaper. Just the pod and filling the hole could be done for half that.

I’d be cautious of any shop building a full hull extension swim grid pod for 3k. Can tell you material alone is over 1k not to mention consumables etc.. and it’s quite labor intensive to do this properly there’s lots of things to consider 5 is a more realistic cost and still could be a bit light depending on the hull. With install, glass work coating etc 11 sounds about right to me.

When I podded my 22 back in 1992 it sat perfect with the boot line about 2 inches above the waterline the from front to stern, level. That with a 200 Yami 2 stroke. The boat sits maybe an inch off level now ...down in the stern. Heavier kicker, more gear and maybe some moisture content in the transom. I know that if I wanted to go 4 stroke I would have to change my pod to something larger/wider to increase stern buoyancy or my scuppers would be underwater when people are in the cockpit. . Another reason why I'm keeping the 2 stroke.

Back