Podding a SeaSport 22

The pod and glass work shouldn’t cost 11k. You can get a very nice aluminum painted pod built for around 3k. Unless you are getting a crazy amount of extra glasswork done I think you could do it significantly cheaper. Just the pod and filling the hole could be done for half that.
keep in mind there are a bunch of extras included in that $11k estimate including removal of the existing engine and outdrive, repair all screw holes in hull and a couple other small fibreglass repairs. and new powder coated pod with kicker bracket installed with all hatches and hardware. Plus removal of existing kicker and bracket... I thinks it's fair estimate. I know many of you could do this much cheeper but this what it costs to have a reputable shop do all the work.

I’d be cautious of any shop building a full hull extension swim grid pod for 3k. Can tell you material alone is over 1k not to mention consumables etc.. and it’s quite labor intensive to do this properly there’s lots of things to consider 5 is a more realistic cost and still could be a bit light depending on the hull. With install, glass work coating etc 11 sounds about right to me.
This one cost 3580 tax included. I filled the hole myself it is built to hold twin 115’s or a single 250. This was 2 months ago.

Attachments

• 162E0788-D594-4479-AABA-442FBA5AE28D.jpeg
    162E0788-D594-4479-AABA-442FBA5AE28D.jpeg
    262.1 KB · Views: 251
  • 0FAFAF12-6D6E-47AA-8872-E7EF32A87048.jpeg
    0FAFAF12-6D6E-47AA-8872-E7EF32A87048.jpeg
    312.4 KB · Views: 246
  • 26C42383-C9D9-423F-A8E9-F80F98729027.jpeg
    26C42383-C9D9-423F-A8E9-F80F98729027.jpeg
    293.3 KB · Views: 251
This one cost 3580 tax included. I filled the hole myself it is built to hold twin 115’s or a single 250. This was 2 months ago.
Material at my cost for the one I just built was $1400-1500 and in the neighborhood of 50-60hrs time + consumables etc so I’d say you got a good deal and wouldn’t use it as a benchmark for what this work should cost but that’s just my opinion.

Material at my cost for the one I just built was $1400-1500 and in the neighborhood of 50-60hrs time + consumables etc so I’d say you got a good deal and wouldn’t use it as a benchmark for what this work should cost but that’s just my opinion.
My estimate also includes removal of the old doghouse and repairing the deck. It’s a lot of work as my deck has a 1” lid for the doghouse that has to be removed somehow

My estimate also includes removal of the old doghouse and repairing the deck. It’s a lot of work as my deck has a 1” lid for the doghouse that has to be removed somehow
I always say 10k for one trade, if you are doing a kitchen, plumber, electrical, millwork 30k minimum. Considering the work involved 11k seems fair unless you have an amazing backyard guy, and if he gets sick or has too many project you have to be fine with missing part of your season. Jenkins will have you in the water within a couple months of when they promise. Looking forward to seeing you fly past me when it’s all done

EXACTLLY I assisted in the build of mine and it defiantly wasn't 60 hours thats way out to lunch a GOOD fabricator can build it quick we had maybe 25 hours total its not hard if you know what your doing and material is maybe 2 sheets at 400 a sheet. I did the rest of the work myself filling holes that took another few hours.

The engine and leg I had out in a few hours as taking engines out take no time now trying to put that said engine back in for some reason takes double dont ask me why but always does I know hauled a few out in my time LOL.

im sorry but at 11 grand thats ALOT for that job but hey its not my money.
And the shop I used is VERY well know as he builds boats and made ALOT of pods for alot of people, he is a wizard and everyone who is in the know have said OH he built it , you got the best guy possible.

The deck job was so easy used a grinder to take the lip off where dog house was and belt sander took me about a hour including clean up.

FYI

50-60hrs is not out to lunch you just said you assisted I don’t do the work alone its too difficult 2 people 25-30hrs should I just not pay the other guy? 2x 1/4 sheets and 1x3/16 plus pipe and extrusion for internal bracing. Your sheet cost is accurate now add delivery and taxes…

Last edited:
YES assited as in i stood around and watched and when he needed me I helped , he did most of it by himself. these are not hard to build if you know what your are doing .its not rocket science really its a pod!!!
Apparently you must work there and thats fine your trying to justify it I get it but I was there and saw how long it took.

Repairing fiberglass to a professional level takes time and time is money,no way around it.Hopefully when Jenkins is done it will look like it came that way from the factory,no sign of old doghouse.As Wolf says getting rid of the old stuff goes quick but having it look good when done takes time.There's a ton of electrical work to do too.

YES assited as in i stood around and watched and when he needed me I helped , he did most of it by himself. these are not hard to build if you know what your are doing .its not rocket science really its a pod!!!
Apparently you must work there and thats fine your trying to justify it I get it but I was there and saw how long it took.
Hi wolf, I don’t work at Jenkins but have had them do some work for me in the past and was very pleased.

Jenkins podded my old DE and did some glass work on my old Big Foot camper. Both turned out excellent.

I’d be cautious of any shop building a full hull extension swim grid pod for 3k. Can tell you material alone is over 1k not to mention consumables etc.. and it’s quite labor intensive to do this properly there’s lots of things to consider 5 is a more realistic cost and still could be a bit light depending on the hull. With install, glass work coating etc 11 sounds about right to me.
Lots of hours to do this project, with labour rates in the marine industry i'm not surprised the budget is 11k. Maybe possible to do something for a 5k but would be hard to get a nice quality product for that price. I'm sure powder coating or painting isn't cheap these days.

You should be happy to even get into the shop! Everyone is so damn busy - don't even try to ask for a deal or you will be back at the end of the queue.

Isn’t there another thread where a guy took three days to remove his leg? This is like arguing paying 1,100 for a charter is too expensive when I can go fishing for $100 worth of gas. That’s ******** my cost per fish is insane and the cost of me doing my own pod would run into the tens of thousands in opportunity costs, I could work on my business or hire Jenkins at 11k or one of the Sidney shops at 22k. Either way you are not paying for the hours you are paying for the expertise and to get the job done right. There was also an outboard orca or Seasport that sunk down in WA this summer, possibly due to a poorly installed pod…. Do it once do it right.

It’s going to be a great boat, a guy was showing me his pics of slaying up at Hardy off his 22 with an outboard this summer.

I think he did already in his other thread $4800usd = 6,000cad I’m assuming plus shipping/logistics to get it here.

He has the nicest pods for this application. He's actually making the pods that are being used on the new builds from seaport.

Few years back I podded 2 24 seasports. The fiberglass work is fairly extensive. To retain the self bailing floor etc. I would estimate 6 grand minimum for the glass work. All of that material is really expensive right now.

I think he did already in his other thread $4800usd = 6,000cad I’m assuming plus shipping/logistics to get it here.
I did have a long chat with Duane at PDR. Yes it would be about $6k delivered but that’s just a small part of the overall cost. I’m very happy paying the professionals and have all the little things done right the first time.

Last edited:
I did have a long chat with Duane at PDR. Yes it would be about $6k delivered but that’s just a small part of the overall cost. I’m very happy paying the professionals and have all the little done right the first time.

There's a lot of value to being able to deal with a local provider, with experience and an e&o policy in place. You're paying for an agreed upon outcome and will have the ability to go and check on progress, and be part of the process even if you're not turning the screws. Enjoy the journey and keeps us updated.

By the way did you know pdr in Bellingham...oh never mind haha

Last edited:
Back