Pod mounted engines interfer with downrigger cable??

Papacorn

Pod mounted engines interfere with downrigger cable??

Looking at a new boat, 20 foot with 2 foot pod. I have no experience with this set-up and am a little concerned that the engines mounted so far back will be a problem with the downrigger cables in current. I would put a ring on the kicker. All input appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a podded 22 Seasport (20 years) and have never had a downrigger cable in the main's prop. I do however take the precaution of always leaving the main in gear when it is not running so the prop doesn't spin. If the prop isn't turning anything that does get in there won't be wrapped only hanging over a prop blade. My kicker is mounted on a separate fixed bracket. It will grab a cable if I turn to sharp to starboard when fishing really deep, especially in strong current or wind. I put secondary (winter) downrigger mounts for winter fishing as far aft as I could and this eliminates the problem. I don't like prop guards as I've seen wood get wedged in between the prop and guard. This usually stalls the motor and can snap off a piece of the cav plate on the kicker.

Yup! Like Rollie says... I've had an 18.5 podded double eagle with three riggers and now have a 23ft searay with 3... I place my middle rigger on a scotty 6 inch pedestal mount with a swivel base and clear my big motor with no problems at all... Unlike a lot of the guides down here, my riggers are as far back as they can go on my rig... And like it's already been said, I only fish two rods in the winter time down deep... Really no need for a third at that time of the year anyways... Just make sure that you get the 60 inch riggers and extend them fully with 15 lb balls on the sides and a lighter one on the rear and you should have minimal problems... I mean lets face it, even the best get tangles too!

Just watch your steering. Yes it happens. I have never had a tangle on the main but have had two quite interesting ones with the kicker. Not fun but was my driving that did it both times. Good point about wood getting in the prop guard. My riggers are not the 60" arm models either.

Tofino guy has a pod on his boat and his riggers are mounted very far forward. He says he doesn't have any problems.

IMG_1569.jpg

Back