Pink in the Campbell

I fished for a few hours this morning. A good number of fish in the river, but very few being caught. I hooked and lost 3 in 4 hours of fishing. The guy next to me landed 2 of the 3 he hooked. Saw a few others caught, but not many for the amount of anglers that were fishing. Earlier in the morning a small bear worked his way along the far bank towards some fisherman. I Yelled them a warning and they moved off before he got to where they were fishing. About an hour later a sow and cub appeared in the same spot, so be bear aware.

may have to make a run out and see whats up

Talked to a buddy who just got back the other day.

Fish are really just starting to move in, water level is way down.. VERY few fish actually biting... lot of snaggers and whiny purists. In two days with two guys they only caught 10 "keepers", though good news was that the average size was a bit bigger which is typical on a smaller run.

ill be up there next Sunday - Tuesday. hopefully its better then.

Have not heard too much about nile creek but, maybe ill stop in there first on my way up island and see whats happening.

Gramps took a look today. He watched the action for a while and saw a fish or two landed. So he went buck up to the car and got his gear. Unfortunately, as soon as he got bac to the water, it started to rain, and he was only in a T-shirt. He's an old guy now, so he gets realy col; he calle dit off. But the good news is, he did see some fish getting hooked. Hopefullythis means they are on their way in.

im waiting for more then one person to say that there are a large number of fish in the system...there has been no rain to push them in the river yet

I was in CR yesterday (Monday).
River is quite low but more fish in than last week. The rain yesterday could have helped a little.

Still not many fish in but seeing more each time I go out.
Got six in about five hours.

River is low but still they come. Had a great morning with many c&r bonked 1 for a friend who was looking for one for bbq hope to get up again soon

Was out last night and the fishing is incredible. Pinks everywhere. At one point a school moved past me......must have been over 1000 pinks. Great to see. Easy limits of 4 for most on the river around me. Lots seem to get fouled hooked so treat the resource with respect. If you plan on releasing fish don't drag them through the sand. Otherwise good times.

I have not fished in the rivers here. Can I fish anywhere along the Quinsom River, casting for Pinks, or is the Quinsom restricted at all. It looks too busy along the Campbell River to take the kids. Too many hooks flying around.
I read the reg's and it looks like anywhere along the Quinsom River is open for fishing.
Thx in advance for any guidance.

Last edited by a moderator:
FooW, the quinsam is closed above the hatchery from dec. 1 to june 30. The section below the hatchery is open, however you cannot fish within 300m of the hatchery weir.

Pinks moved into the Puntledge this weekend. Thousands all over the place one of the biggest pink runs ive seen in a while. Theres no fishery for them so please leave them alone.

Was out on the weekend - was expecting what it was last year and before.. but it was tougher. Fished from the sandy pool down.. was not the usual spectacle. We had to work to catch them. a lot of people i talked too fished all day and caught nothing ... while the more experienced usually caught around there limit - but not without working for it. between the four of us we caught 12 pinks in the day... usually we get 20+ each. That being said... the fish were as chrome as you could get!

Been tons of Pinks moving through the Tyee Pool for several days now.

Must be lots up by now with more to come it would seem.

That Quinsam project that opened up much more of the river to Pinks seems to be paying off big-time.

Enjoy.

Take care.

Tons and tons of Pinks in the system now, lots for every to have a bucket of fun with. Very neat to see kids and old folks alike learning to fish down there. Both gear and fly doing well if you know what to do.

Cheers

I'm heading off for a week-long fishing adventure tomorrow. So to get a last bit of quality time with the fam, we hit the Quinnie (river!) for a couple of hours today. That will be my only assault on the CR pinks this season.

We headed up because my 2.5 year old boy is completely obsessed with fishing. And, pleased pop that I am, we got him into a few, which he was able to reel in himself (I helped support the rod, but he managed all the winding, and a fair bit of secondary rod control). Totally fun. And many many many fish cruising past.

I was up at CR this past weekend for the first time with my son and got into a few.. But man it's a zoo, we had ppl walk up a foot beside us at few times. But noticed quite a few snaggers using telephone poles to fish with. So we took off and headed down to some c & r rivers. Man, am I glad they restrict retention on majority of the rivers. Far less pressure and a much better family friendly fishing experience. I find it was way too tough trying to teach my kid about conservation when you're stuck in the middle of a slaughtering.

Back