Pink in the Campbell

Having a chat with another member about his gear...... Had to ask him if he was Reapers kid :) LOL........ He is heading up the the Campbell today to hit pinks with braided line. I think it's just gross. I said sportsmen don't use braided line in the river to catch pinks. What's your thoughts on that? He say there's no reason not to........

What difference does the type of line make?

Take care.

Dave-- I am sure you must know all about the the effects of discarded braid ? - the damage it can do. Mono is bad enough, but braid lasts for years and is a hazard to all critters, human or otherwise. Just because a person can load a whole bunch of 30-40 lb braid to fish for 3-7 lb pinks doesnt mean it should be used. Several years ago, a swimmer got caught up in braid draped across the Puntledge River bottom. He ended up with some pretty deep cuts that would not have been nearly as severe if it had been mono.

wow man you don't waste any time with the cheap shots do ya
yea I may use braid but I don't leave 100 feet of mono in the river like others do at best I leave the length of the leader and no more
but ill get raked over the coals and you know what I don't give a **** what you think so just go on and have a nice day

Why don't we just stick to how the river is fishing and not bash each other. I don't use braid but it is legal so people are free to choose. I am more distressed by the snaggers using barbed hooks or worse yet barbed trebles.

wow man you don't waste any time with the cheap shots do ya
yea I may use braid but I don't leave 100 feet of mono in the river like others do at best I leave the length of the leader and no more
but ill get raked over the coals and you know what I don't give a **** what you think so just go on and have a nice day
Did you see the smiley face and LOL? Just a wee bit defensive are you. :)

Nobody should be leaving anything. So please pick up even them lead lengths of line. The river is not your trash can.

Having a chat with another member about his gear...... Had to ask him if he was Reapers kid :) LOL........ He is heading up the the Campbell today to hit pinks with braided line. I think it's just gross. I said sportsmen don't use braided line in the river to catch pinks. What's your thoughts on that? He say there's no reason not to........

Braid, used responsibly, is probably better than mono for the environment. As he noted, he's running a leader. A fluoro leader tied to braid with something like an albright knot leaves absolutely no braid in the river. You are probably sacrificing some fish due to break-offs at the expense of less environmental impact imo.

You create a stress point much weaker than the braid, so at most you are leaving a small leader in the water. As it floats, it works similar to fly line running a chironomid in stillwater. It's much better than biting off 25lb mono at your rod tip because you can't stress your knot.

Similar to bottom bouncing, you can't just assume everyone is using a rig unethically without learning about how it's intended. I've only lived on the Island for a few years, but I find all these 'unwritten rules' really silly. People should focus their rage on the lack of CO officers looking for people who abuse these totally legitimate practices.

First of all-- my response was directed to Dave H. who I know is well aware of the negative affects of braid-- You cant have run around rivers for over 50 years like we have to not know. It was meant to be informative and the response from Reaper was way over the top. Similarly maybe I should have just shut up and not mentioned that Vibrio is one of the consequences of eating raw oysters in the summer????? Just sit back and say nothing??? Well-- I have learned a lot from discussions on this and other forums... but I also have a lot to contribute, and if Reaper will lower his testosterone level to normal , He will realize that sometimes its better to look at what a person posts before shooting himself in the foot.

Enjoy you fishing for pinks-- but matching your gear to the quarry changes the effort from a meat gathering expedition to a sporting adventure.

I wouldn't worry about your post, Reaper was not responding to you IMO.

By the way, it is the anglers intent that dictates whether they are being ethical sportsmen, not the gear or line they are using. You can snag/floss fish with most set ups.

Both are acceptable if rules are followed.

Frankly, what makes the Campbell so great is the fact that they make so much of it fly only catch and release. Limits the freak show of gear chucking snaggers to only a part of the river. The Sooke River is also fly only catch and release for most of its length during the fall chum run (in which there are some cohos as well). Great concept.

Last edited by a moderator:
My neighbor, his friend, came to my home. He comes from Campbell River, He caught 15 pinks. He said that " Towards Sayward" the Eve River.

At the Campbell now. There are pinks in the river. Not a massive run, but average. More coming in on every high tide.

Report from the river. Seems to be a very decent number of fish in the river, but most of them have lockjaw. Few are being caught.

so where are all the fish anything happening ?

Back