Pilchards

I think those jointed plugs will be very speed critical.

These LIVE Target lures track better than them JUGHEADS & match um to a flasher on a long lead. You'll get a great swimming tracking bait with a large following radius of a standard flasher

Best of both worlds IMO

Plus ya don't get that distinctive bait fisherman SMELL

Kh

Last edited by a moderator:
These LIVE Target lures track better than them JUGHEADS & match um to a flasher on a long lead. You'll get a great swimming tracking bait with a large following radius of a standard flasher

Best of both worlds IMO

Plus ya don't get that distinctive bait fisherman SMELL

Kh

lol.......

those photos were so good i am going to make up some pilchard flies. i fish all of my trolling flies exactly like i would any hootchie, short leader to get the flasher to impart some action. quick and easy way to 'match the hatch', inexpensive as well.

those photos were so good i am going to make up some pilchard flies. i fish all of my trolling flies exactly like i would any hootchie, short leader to get the flasher to impart some action. quick and easy way to 'match the hatch', inexpensive as well.

I tied some long (10") mylars and imitation hairs to a plastic tube and stuffed it in UV hootchie. Worked well, but so did everything big and pilchardy that week (Aug/'10). use a toothpick in a bead to set your hooks back.

search out 'fish hair' as a material for these trolling flies. comes in 50 or 60 great colors and works really well.

Like the look of the ones on the right, especially so the upper right:

s7_320043_999_01

LOTS of sources out there. One of the better (cheaper) ones is eBay. For instance these work quite fine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80-8mm-Silv...752?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab1c5c368

And I kinda like these off-center pupil jobs:

405981.jpg

From: http://www.barlowstackle.com/Look-Around-3-D-Holographic-Eyes-P2206C38.aspx

Wish those last ones came in a slightly larger size. But methinks if the eyes on the plug are looking BACK at the fish when it approaches, that might add that little something extra to induce the strike.

It's all experimentation. Don't be afraid to try anything you think might work! Then, simply let the fish decide, they WILL let you know what they like! :D

Cheers,
Nog

I found and ordered some of these Molded 3 color 3D Eyes off Ebay - size 13mm

3DEyes.jpg

Back