Penn Squall Level Wind Trolling Reels

Capilano

I am looking at purchasing a couple of the Penn Squall 20 reels and wondering if the cost vs quality is worth it for these reels. If not, any other suggestions in the $100.00 to $150.00 range? Main use is Salmon and Ling Cod fishing.

TIA.

I haven't used one but reports around the net are positive and not just that model Penn seems to be back in the game.

The obvious alternative is the Shimano Charter Special tr1000 no need for the larger 2000 model.

I have 6 I think, use 20's on my salmon and jigging rods, and 30's on my hali rods. So far 3 years of abuse and all is good. I am not sure if they will last like the old 309's did but they take the abuse, awesome when each crank equals 3 ft of retrieved line. Just did an around the world trip, (posted some on here) fished many county's and lots of species, awesome for me when boarding the charter and there is gold everywhere. Buy a couple, well spent couple hundred bucks.

HM

Check out the Shimano TLD 20. Been around for years, reliable, tough. Once you use a thumb lever drag you may not want to go back to a star drag.

I have 6 I think, use 20's on my salmon and jigging rods, and 30's on my hali rods. So far 3 years of abuse and all is good. I am not sure if they will last like the old 309's did but they take the abuse, awesome when each crank equals 3 ft of retrieved line. Just did an around the world trip, (posted some on here) fished many county's and lots of species, awesome for me when boarding the charter and there is gold everywhere. Buy a couple, well spent couple hundred bucks.
HM

Thanks, I have ordered one reel and will give it a try once I receive it.

Most fishers on the west coast use single action mooching reels for trolling. East coast lake fishers use level wind reels. No disrespect.
Thanks, I already have mooching reels and wanted to try something different as I do see many boats with level winds out on the water also.

I am looking at purchasing a couple of the Penn Squall 20 reels and wondering if the cost vs quality is worth it for these reels. If not, any other suggestions in the $100.00 to $150.00 range? Main use is Salmon and Ling Cod fishing.

TIA.
They're excellent value. I got a 20 two years ago, and liked it so much that I got a 30 this season. If you're using the same reel for salmon and ling cod, I'd recommend the 30. Some posters here have disparaged star drag, but this one is very smooth, with a click setting that makes in-fight changes very precise.

I fish with a guy who endures a Shimano lever-drag non-level-wind monstrosity that cost twice as much, and he plans to switch to a Squall for many reasons after playing a few springs on mine.

Takes lots of getting used to using a non level reel after so many years of not worrying about getting the line back level across the spool. Instantly realize the mistake when you cannot continue reeling in as the line has packed up in the center. Funny how our body's and minds get used to something, change is hard. Lost a couple sails by setting the hook, ooh no circle hooks....

HM

Back