PEETZ REELS

I had a late 60s or early 70s 5" reel completely redone by Peetz as well. The new drag is great, they refurbished the wood and brass like new or better and I had them convert it to lefthand cranking too. Kept the wooden knobs. It's so beautiful that I barely use it but have it as a piece of art on my mantel. Wasn't that expensive and for me well worth it.

Perhaps tonight I am feeling a bit curmudgeonly, so don't be offended, but I strongly believe that a lot of the appeal of a wooden Peetz is the wingnut without one way drag.
IMO the change to one way drag is not an upgrade, it is a travesty. Learn to palm!!!
Sure hope no one gets upset at this ;-)
You really are "Olde School"

I'm doing a restore on my 6" reel this week. How did you restore the brass (800 grit sandpaper?) Did you spray polyurethane on the brass too?
I used 1000 and left it bare. I realize that it will oxidize however it can easily be touched up with brasso. Lots of coats of poly on the reel though. Make sure you post pics?

Last edited:
I keep 4 rods on the boat with 6" Peetz for hali's love them all bottom fishing! MR2 for salmon, I wish the MR2's had the loud drag like the Peetz they are to quiet. As a kid all we had were Peetz for salmon, trolling herring strip with lead slip weight. They were great knock the drag to 0 and palm the sound of the fish running was awesome!

Very little maintenance just a disassembly and wash little grease & oil pretty bullet proof..

Here's a Peetz my wife carved for me for my birthday, plan is to put some line on it catch one nice Chinook then back to the mantle!

Attachments

• Peetz.PNG
    Peetz.PNG
    545.6 KB · Views: 48
Buddy did the drag upgrade and some custom imbedded old Abalony lures.
caught a 45lb Hali with it first time he used it that day off Albert Head.

I keep 4 rods on the boat with 6" Peetz for hali's love them all bottom fishing! MR2 for salmon, I wish the MR2's had the loud drag like the Peetz they are to quiet. As a kid all we had were Peetz for salmon, trolling herring strip with lead slip weight. They were great knock the drag to 0 and palm the sound of the fish running was awesome!

Very little maintenance just a disassembly and wash little grease & oil pretty bullet proof..
I fish only Peetz reels now. 6 inchers for halibut and 5 inchers for salmon. I got them all refurbished at Peetz, along with new one way drags and changed them all to left hand wind. They offer the best experience for me.

I fish only Peetz reels now. 6 inchers for halibut and 5 inchers for salmon. I got them all refurbished at Peetz, along with new one way drags and changed them all to left hand wind. They offer the best experience for me.
mono or braid on the Peetz?

80 pound braid on the halibut reels. 30 pound mono with braid or dacron backing on the salmon reels.
Gotta use the dracon backing. I spooled one with only mono and split it due to the tension of the line. The guy at Peetz recommended dacron or braid with a top shot of mono

Back