OPINION: Can you Listen to Music while Trolling for Salmon?

Years ago,probably in the early 80's me and a good buddy were cut plugging off Owen Point in Port Renfrew with 20 or more other boats.There was the odd fish being caught here and there with no real so called "bite" happening when this fancy 20 something footer pulls up into the pack.It had a beautiful chrome radar arch on it totally decked out with rod holders , 4 large speakers, and proudly flying an oversize USA flag.They quickly dropped their gear which was the standard cut plugs that everyone else ran in those days(trolling anchovie had not yet become near as popular as now) and put on the tunes.They must of had a killer stereo system as the tunes were loud and crystal clear.Then they proceeded to school the rest of us as they hooked spring
salmon after spring salmon,and some beauts to that were obviously tyee class.The rest of us just continued to pick the odd one off here and there, and we ended up with 2 nice ones for an afternoon flood tide effort.The only thing that was different that we could tell was the loud basey tunes they were playing at full volume and I've speculated that the vibration either through the hull or travelling down the lines on their rods in the water were somehow attracting and triggering those fish to bite.I've tried many
times to recreate this bizzare ocurrance with limited success but I can tell you that on more than several occasions I've been trolling along with no action whatsoever for long periods of time and decided to throw on a good basey tune that really thumps the boat (like "Hey Man Nice Shot"from Filter for instance) and have a strike within minutes.It's happened enough times to me that I doubt it could just be a coincidence and disprove the notion that noise at that level will scare fish away.Take from this what you will but if you come on my boat expect the tunes to be "thumpin" at some point during the day.I'd probably do it far more often but the 400 watt digital amplifier I run would kill my house battery in short order with the small charging output on my
Honda kicker and render the electric downriggers useless.Learned that lesson quick when I first installed the stereo lol.
Time for more batteries.

Not saying this in regards to any post in particular.

As much as I love music I have it going most of the time even at work a lot, I am curtious with my sound. I enjoy it loud when I'm alone in my vehicle even working in my shop. But I find it extremely rude and offensive when people think everyone wants to hear their music. I truly wonder what goes through some people's heads ( little obviously) when they think its alright to blare their music and interrupt everyone else's enjoyment. It just shows a total lack of respect and regard for other people but as we all know this is pretty standard this day and age. No different than the idiots standing in line at Canadian Tire dropping F bombs so everyone can hear. Just a society of me, me and only I count.

Not saying this in regards to any post in particular.

As much as I love music I have it going most of the time even at work a lot, I am curtious with my sound. I enjoy it loud when I'm alone in my vehicle even working in my shop. But I find it extremely rude and offensive when people think everyone wants to hear their music. I truly wonder what goes through some people's heads ( little obviously) when they think its alright to blare their music and interrupt everyone else's enjoyment. It just shows a total lack of respect and regard for other people but as we all know this is pretty standard this day and age. No different than the idiots standing in line at Canadian Tire dropping F bombs so everyone can hear. Just a society of me, me and only I count.
This isn't something I would do on a busy Saturday morning off Otter Point in a crowd of 50+ boats.In that case I would keep the volume down to respectable levels,also realizing how sound travels well over water,but I at the same time wont shut it completely off to appease some dude who wants his peace and quiet.Give and take,man.

This isn't something I would do on a busy Saturday morning off Otter Point in a crowd of 50+ boats.In that case I would keep the volume down to respectable levels,also realizing how sound travels well over water,but I at the same time wont shut it completely off to appease some dude who wants his peace and quiet.Give and take,man.

No, for sure not fshnatic, I'm with you on that. Like I say I enjoy music as well and have it on while I'm fishing 95% of the time and like you at a respectful level. No one minds hearing some noise but you know the people I am talking about, just no regard for anyone else, we've all experienced them out there at times.

I love music and listen often. Not out fishing though. Tried a few times but it steels the peace I get wen on the water.

I've never had or wanted tunes on my boat while fishing but I know lots that enjoy it . Definitely each to their own if it's not crazy loud. I am installing a stereo on the new boat but I plan on enjoying it quietly back at the dock while putting stuff away or cleaning up. I do think I will enjoy it on the long pound out to the bank when I go. Like a lot of people when I'm in the house...garage or truck the tunes are a must for me. Just not so much when I'm fishing.

Time for more batteries.
I run a 16.5 ft.DE with 2 group 27 Interstates in the stern.With a 365 lb 120 hp main and 90 lb kicker in a boat that is already notoriously stern heavy ,I'm maxed out for weight back there.I am thinking about putting another group 27 up in the bow though,but it will mean sacrificing some precious storage space.Just for the safety aspect I should really consider it,so I'll probably end up doing it eventually.

Music is fine by me either way. What I cant stand is being able to hear city noise like sirens and being able to see any structure that looks like the city. I like to be on the water and away from all that ****. Also I rarely notice if anyone around me has music cranked either. Probably getting deaf from all the steel panther on the way to the marina...

Back