OPINION: Can you Listen to Music while Trolling for Salmon?

I always have Sirius ch 25 Classic rock or 26 classic vinyl on at all times.

I personally like the quiet while fishing,my new boat didn't come with a stereo and I don't think I'll add one ,but it would help pass the time when the bite is slow.I remember many years ago there was a young guy that fished Bamfield in an old Double Eagle with a C license by himself with tunes cranked to the max.He was pulling fish after fish all day so I don't think the music hurt his catch rate.Of course there were a lot more fish back then,the "Good Old Days". You will know your getting old if you also remember an old fisherman with one good arm that fished commercially out of a 14 or 16ft. mirrocraft aluminum in Bamfield at the same time by himself. We used to watch him catch multiple fish with his Peetz rod held inside his elbow,it didn't seem to slow him down much.

audiobooks are a great way to pass time between tide changes

I personally like the quiet while fishing,my new boat didn't come with a stereo and I don't think I'll add one ,but it would help pass the time when the bite is slow.I remember many years ago there was a young guy that fished Bamfield in an old Double Eagle with a C license by himself with tunes cranked to the max.He was pulling fish after fish all day so I don't think the music hurt his catch rate.Of course there were a lot more fish back then,the "Good Old Days". You will know your getting old if you also remember an old fisherman with one good arm that fished commercially out of a 14 or 16ft. mirrocraft aluminum in Bamfield at the same time by himself. We used to watch him catch multiple fish with his Peetz rod held inside his elbow,it didn't seem to slow him down much.
Ray, that was crazy Larry in the double eagle. That boat should have been on the DE website to show longevity, espically after he chopped the top of and bolted an aluminum house on it. Remember seeing him with his gill net cruising around and he dropped it off Whitlestone just to flash everyone up. The old guy was Dave Edwards who set up shop in the old sea beam campsite for the season with his trailer . I was told he Lost his hand in an accident on James island. Saw his tinny out behind Edward king one day and it look like no one onboard. We went over and he was having a sleep waiting for the next tide. He had a wealth of information and passed on to anyone on the dock who asked him. He was the top of the "putter fleet"

Ray, that was crazy Larry in the double eagle. That boat should have been on the DE website to show longevity, espically after he chopped the top of and bolted an aluminum house on it. Remember seeing him with his gill net cruising around and he dropped it off Whitlestone just to flash everyone up. The old guy was Dave Edwards who set up shop in the old sea beam campsite for the season with his trailer . I was told he Lost his hand in an accident on James island. Saw his tinny out behind Edward king one day and it look like no one onboard. We went over and he was having a sleep waiting for the next tide. He had a wealth of information and passed on to anyone on the dock who asked him. He was the top of the "putter fleet"
Sounds like a fun time

I love music, have it on at home all the time, and in my car, but very rarely when I’m fishing. I just think you need to be stealthy, so I don’t like having music playing on the boat if there are fish to catch

XM Radio or Blue Tooth connectivity to my ITunes through my Fusion stereo system at all times. If I turn it off will I catch more fish? Maybe larger fish? I doubt it makes any difference and it makes me happy.

I like music if it's slow fishing and I'm not trying to teach someone how to set gear, or net, or drive...so pretty much never. Just like my job sites. No radios when the boss shows up and has to talk. People have too short of attention spans as it is these days... GD stoners.

As weird as this sounds between the kicker noise and music and fast currents, I find the combination of all 3 gives me a bit of anxiety.

I’ve always loved the combo of music and fishing... that being said, I suppose I should try not listening and see if I have more success. I’ll report back!

Rayvon, I remember both those guys at Bamfeild. I think the young used white hoochies.. You hear him coming
from a long way off. Tunes just turned way up.. The old days

I've buck tailed for coho with the stereo cranked and got good. flys 10 feet behind the boat. I dont think they care.

The older I get the more I appreciate the silence of being on the water. Interesting that so many people like music while they are fishing. I never hear any over the sound of my kicker so they can't be playing it that loud.

Years ago,probably in the early 80's me and a good buddy were cut plugging off Owen Point in Port Renfrew with 20 or more other boats.There was the odd fish being caught here and there with no real so called "bite" happening when this fancy 20 something footer pulls up into the pack.It had a beautiful chrome radar arch on it totally decked out with rod holders , 4 large speakers, and proudly flying an oversize USA flag.They quickly dropped their gear which was the standard cut plugs that everyone else ran in those days(trolling anchovie had not yet become near as popular as now) and put on the tunes.They must of had a killer stereo system as the tunes were loud and crystal clear.Then they proceeded to school the rest of us as they hooked spring
salmon after spring salmon,and some beauts to that were obviously tyee class.The rest of us just continued to pick the odd one off here and there, and we ended up with 2 nice ones for an afternoon flood tide effort.The only thing that was different that we could tell was the loud basey tunes they were playing at full volume and I've speculated that the vibration either through the hull or travelling down the lines on their rods in the water were somehow attracting and triggering those fish to bite.I've tried many
times to recreate this bizzare ocurrance with limited success but I can tell you that on more than several occasions I've been trolling along with no action whatsoever for long periods of time and decided to throw on a good basey tune that really thumps the boat (like "Hey Man Nice Shot"from Filter for instance) and have a strike within minutes.It's happened enough times to me that I doubt it could just be a coincidence and disprove the notion that noise at that level will scare fish away.Take from this what you will but if you come on my boat expect the tunes to be "thumpin" at some point during the day.I'd probably do it far more often but the 400 watt digital amplifier I run would kill my house battery in short order with the small charging output on my
Honda kicker and render the electric downriggers useless.Learned that lesson quick when I first installed the stereo lol.

Back