Offshore fishing techniques

Travo

Never fished offshore before thinking might make it offshore this week comjng up ucluelet , going to buy new 15lb balls ...

How far behind the clip do you clip on when off shore is it shorter because there less spooky.? Or farther

I tend to go a little bit shorter but more for the tangle factor when fishing much deeper than I do when fishing the beach. When the lines are that deep the currents can really swirl around and can make things interesting at times. I fish Swiftsure mostly and most people will do a long tach or troll then pull the gear run back to a starting point and troll again. Sometimes it doesn't matter and you can go whatever way you want but for the most part it saves a lot of tangle ups.....lol And just as a side note since this will be your first time fishing out there. Make sure your release clips are in good shape.....good holding power and possibly replace the pads depending on their wear. Nothing more frustrating than dropping you gear down 180' and having it pop of all the time. Lots of drag on the gear fishing at those depths......good luck

Last edited:
Plugs should be 30ft or more behind the release. Everything else I run at 20ft.

If I was running a false flashes I might go 10ft.

I would say work to cover area.... Troll a little faster and troll with the tide if you're not catching and be where you want to be around slack tide so you can troll both ways....and put a larger spread on your gear if stacking and if going deep go down to one rod per rigger.

Also find out what the locals are using and what has been working best. Do not attempt to reinvent or cheap out on tackle.

Offshore August and September Plugs are a staple.... As are big spoons.

Time is getting short and you may wish to work on fishing inshore as most local migrating Chinooks are now on the beaches....where ever you are. These fish are moving and not lunching on bait balls for long.

A guide buddy I know is fishing Anchovies on the beach and doing very well.

Back