OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was off the Cap from 11am thru 130am for the tail end of the flood ... not a sniff and didn't see anyone with a net out.

If the wind dies down and it gets sunny on Mon and Tues as it's forecast at the moment, I may go try for some Chums. Probably wishful thinking, but what the heck.

Quiet on the river yesterday compared to Thursday. I went for a walk through the hatchery yesterday and it was loaded with coho but almost no springs, makes me wonder if there's still a good wave of fish in the salt especially the high teens/20's fish. Most springs I saw on Thursday were the 5-15lb range.

Fished the Cap on Thursday and ended up with 3 keepers and 1 undersize chinook released. Two nice hatchery coho (one weighed in at 12lbs) and a 14lb chinook. There were about 15 boats and we saw several hook into fish throughout the morning. Headed back yesterday in the rains. The Cap was clearly flooding after the rains from Thursday night onward with a good amount of silt coloured water very apparent near the Cap light turnaround area. Counted 20 boats out there but it was very slow. We released one undersize chinook that looked like it was next years fish - chrome silver with no signs of turning at all. We saw one boat with a decent fish on but it didn't look like he landed it. That was it - most boats left well before the top of the flood - we fished through the flood and well into the ebb. Interestingly, we were marking a lot of fish on the sounder - not just bait but many distinct arches. Maybe some were still around but solely focussed on getting into the river? Who knows. Boat is now getting winterized - inconsistent season with lots of hours for fewer fish - but I'm still disappointed it's over and can't wait to do it all again next year! Good luck to those who continue in the winter fishery - I may need to try that one year to bridge the gap.

Fished the Cap on Thursday and ended up with 3 keepers and 1 undersize chinook released. Two nice hatchery coho (one weighed in at 12lbs) and a 14lb chinook. There were about 15 boats and we saw several hook into fish throughout the morning. Headed back yesterday in the rains. The Cap was clearly flooding after the rains from Thursday night onward with a good amount of silt coloured water very apparent near the Cap light turnaround area. Counted 20 boats out there but it was very slow. We released one undersize chinook that looked like it was next years fish - chrome silver with no signs of turning at all. We saw one boat with a decent fish on but it didn't look like he landed it. That was it - most boats left well before the top of the flood - we fished through the flood and well into the ebb. Interestingly, we were marking a lot of fish on the sounder - not just bait but many distinct arches. Maybe some were still around but solely focussed on getting into the river? Who knows. Boat is now getting winterized - inconsistent season with lots of hours for fewer fish - but I'm still disappointed it's over and can't wait to do it all again next year! Good luck to those who continue in the winter fishery - I may need to try that one year to bridge the gap.

Seems like a few winters are already showing up, even saw a local guide on Instagram have one of his guests pose with a clearly dead, and undersized Chinook he called a hatchery coho! After a few people including a respected guide called him out the picture was taken down very quickly. Have no clue how a so called pro can make that mistake.

The lights may be going out on the summer/fall season but I am really looking forward to the winter spring season ... have had some fabulous fishing the last few winters in and around the harbour and the fish tastes so good.

Seems like a few winters are already showing up, even saw a local guide on Instagram have one of his guests pose with a clearly dead, and undersized Chinook he called a hatchery coho! After a few people including a respected guide called him out the picture was taken down very quickly. Have no clue how a so called pro can make that mistake.
Everyone makes mistakes even the best of the best but I will say that was a hard mistake to make saw it myself pretty obvious

The lights may be going out on the summer/fall season but I am really looking forward to the winter spring season ... have had some fabulous fishing the last few winters in and around the harbour and the fish tastes so good.
yes, my favorite time of year

Yesterday 8-1:30 at SH's. Dead slow all morning till around noon, and it seemed like a small bite came on. We managed a 10 lb spring and undersized spring. We had a few other strikes but no stick. Had to leave to get back for turkey. Beauty day on water. The keeper spring looked like a feeder, scales fell right off, silver bright, and immature row sacs. Usual anchovy bait show, 30-55 ft

Gf suggested one more day out. Heading to cap now. Any updates?

At sandheads 2 chum, 2 hatch hoes And 1 wild hoe so far... Chum at 50' and Hoes between 20 and 30'... All on chovies... Green and bloody nose or purple speckle back teasers.

I'm guessing you got the chum on the purple haze teaser heads. They seem to go for the bait with a purple teaser. Good job getting 2 Chum. They are awesome smokers. Smoked one a couple days ago, and the GF loved it.

anyone find a scotsman floating with a bauer octogon crab trap hanging off the end of it somewhere between pink palace and Dundarave?
I know there were a few trolling that area and may have hooked it up on the riggers by accident, pricey loss and would like to get it back

Hit Sandheads from 9 am - 2:30 pm today. Seemed to be a decent bite starting around 10 am for about an hour and a half. First fish in the boat was feisty 17 lb spring, then lost a pin popper right after. Shaker and a undersize feeder spring as well. Fairly quite until about 1 pm, then released two wild coho, lost another fish right after the strike and finished off the day with a 12 lb chum which put up a good fight.

Green / chartreuse blade flashers and glow teaser heads (green spatter and bloody nose) were the ticket today between 45' and 55'. All fish hooked a ways north of the green can - up past the scotchman that is always there (saw someone got tangled with it today).

anyone find a scotsman floating with a bauer octogon crab trap hanging off the end of it somewhere between pink palace and Dundarave?
I know there were a few trolling that area and may have hooked it up on the riggers by accident, pricey loss and would like to get it back

Your probably talking about today .....if not i did see a scotchman around fisheries on saturday in about 140' of water . I'll keep a look out for it tomorrow when i'm out .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back