OFFICIAL 2015 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgwas image.jpgtough fishing conditions but loaded up the fish box in no time at all. Terrific sizes for this time of year out there! Was a great Father's Day

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried Quarry bay Saturday night, missed a good bite, and that was about it... Sunday Morning/early afternoon as well, got pummeled in some big slop at Texada with a few other boats (hardly a mark on the sounder there), went back to quarry bay and nothing to show for it again, was dead - would go by a huge bait ball on the sounder, and there would be no fish marks at all! Tough fishing solo in that wind and chop but keeps you on your toes in a good way!!! Maintenance really put a damper on the fishing this weekend! :)

Very clear water though, saw a humpback whale, somewhat unusual but apparently there is one kicking around!

Had a couple of hours to kill so I tried in front of the coal terminal while my traps soaked. Managed to land a teen. Lots of bait balls
068b2a68afb869f1259fbeb283fc8dba.jpg

Coal Terminal in area 29-6 and 29-9 beside Tsawwassen Ferry ?

The tsawassen terminal, but a few miles out in 29-4

29-4 starts out at least half way across Georgia Strait between Tsawwassen and about Canoe Pass. Straight out off Coal Port and Ferry Terminal it is much farther out to go -for the first mile is a portion of 29-6 then US waters for several miles out into strait then becomes area 18 (then finally 29-4 at Active pass) . A yankee fish maybe !??? lol

I always recommend to fishers to avoid south of the whistle bouy or Sandheads this time of year because of that very fact - you have to be half way to Gulf islands in those southern areas, the farther you go south. To easily avoid closed approaches to the Fraser mouth if you fish at Sandheads or north the area 29-4 border ( and 29-3 ) does actually come in close to shore -- just my recommendation to stay within regs more easily.

29-4 starts out at least half way across Georgia Strait between Tsawwassen and about Canoe Pass. Straight out off Coal Port and Ferry Terminal it is much arther out -for the first mile is a portion of 29-6 then US waters for several miles out into strait then becomes area 18 (then finally 29-4 at Active pass) . A yankee fish maybe !??? lol

I always recommend to fishers to avoid south of the whistle bouy or Sandheads this time of year because of that very fact - you have to be half way to Gulf islands in those southern areas, the farther you go south. To easily avoid closed approaches to the Fraser mouth if you fish at Sandheads or north the area 29-4 border ( and 29-3 ) does actually come in close to shore -- just my recommendation to stay within regs more easily.
The straight line distance is under 5nm from the terminal. As long as you navigate on your chart plotter it's easy to know where you are

My intention was to let people know that I saw bait in an unusual place

I keep my boat in Canoe Pass so I am often leaving my crab traps in this area then go looking for bait while I wait.

I agree that if you don't know the basics of navigation you should stick to areas you're familiar with but the boundaries and regulations seem pretty clearly written and easy to follow to me

The straight line distance is under 5nm from the terminal. As long as you navigate on your chart plotter it's easy to know where you are

My intention was to let people know that I saw bait in an unusual place

I keep my boat in Canoe Pass so I am often leaving my crab traps in this area then go looking for bait while I wait.

I agree that if you don't know the basics of navigation you should stick to areas you're familiar with but the boundaries and regulations seem pretty clearly written and easy to follow to me

All good and thanks for the report. As long as people do plot the closure waypoint boundaries and there's no human error, go at it....true, easy. Good on you for doing that.
I suppose the wording of your original report (coming from a quite large closed area ) makes sense it would raise some eyebrows unless you had posted originally that you were way out in the middle of GS and off canoe Pass, out of the known closed area as compared to reporting; off the Coal Terminal.

Cheers and thanks again for reporting
Greg

Must be my perception I suppose. The straight is only 8nm wide at that spot. I've always referred to everything that the gantry cranes loom over as the coal terminal. It's hard to think of a 10 min drive as "way out in the middle" but if you don't spend a lot of time down there I can see the confusion.
Anyway, this dead horse is thoroughly beaten. Tight lines and sharp hooks

HT - if you want entertainment, join one of the numerous Island threads.... many can be better than a movie..

Buddy went out and smacked a couple of coho in van harbor. If my tank was fixed I be hitting the west van shorelines, van harbor, then head upto HITW for a bit.

Any reports around quarry bay? Does Irish cream, Gut Bomb, Kitchen Sink, Leprechaun, Cookies n Cream lures work there or should i be using plugs and anchovies?

Back