OFFICIAL 2015 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

not a dogfish for sure . seal or maybe a big ling

I don't think a Ling. From the vids I've seen on Youtube of Lings attacking or trying to eat other fish they grab the fish but don't seem to be able to sheer the fish with their teeth or jaw power. I think they more grab the fish then swallow them whole if possible. I haven't caught a lot of large Lings but the ones I have that have fish in their stomachs have all been whole fish, not in pieces. Check out these Ling vids:

[RaHZYOKmgmU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaHZYOKmgmU

Another vid where the Ling just holds the prey but doesn't bite it off.
[icND-gu1fj0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icND-gu1fj0

We have pulled up some monster dog fish when hali fishing in Victoria.. Could swallow that salmon whole and probably sheer that tail off.

Divers spotted six gill sharks in Howe sound recently, maybe there are some healthy numbers around

It's an average size dogfish. I've had them chewing on springs right up to the boat and their bite patterns are pretty obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree Kelly, pretty obviously a mud shark been there done that more than a few times too. :(

I've had dog fish bite the shaker in half, then get hooked. Tipical dog fish bite.

Fishing must be slow again

So what's this about June doldrums? I have a chance to get out fishing Fri/Sat/Sun. Thinking of trying around Hole in the Wall. Any other suggestions? The run to Epsom Point off of North Thormanby Island might be a bit too far for me.

So what's this about June doldrums? I have a chance to get out fishing Fri/Sat/Sun. Thinking of trying around Hole in the Wall. Any other suggestions? The run to Epsom Point off of North Thormanby Island might be a bit too far for me.

I wouldn't completely count out Thrasher/Grande as of yet. You just never know when some waves of fish may move in.....it is a bit of scratch fishing right now but there are some around still. Saw a shot of a screen from a boat yesterday over there that was finding some crazy huge bait balls.

If you're out of Bowen....heck if HITW is dead I'd even try around the QA; you just never know! Had a day in May last year where we trolled out there on the way home not expecting ANYTHING and wound up with a couple low 20's fish; was a nice surprise!!!

Being out there is certainly better than not! ;)

Anyone's guess. We did well last weekend with a tip closer to home than you would bet. Get out and shake em down.

We hit the hump yesterday for 3-4 knockoffs but nothing stuck. Did a quick 20 mins at Bell boy on the way back to ...one shaker to the boat. Small pockets of bait but still a bit early. Been to thrasher, the hump, Gower a few times over the last 10 days or so...a bit slow...but I'm optimistic things will pick up soon. Cheers.

Hard to cross the Salish Sea tonight in surprisingly calm waters and not drop the lines in Porlier on the way to Salt Spring but our friend was happy to fly by and say hello when we landed. Winds permitting, will drop the lines on the way back at either Porlier or Gabriola on Sunday.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 599
Back