I caught a small octopus in my prawn trap and dumped them
all in a cooler and forgot about the octopus it inked all over
the prawns. I rinsed them off as well as I could but there
Is some staining on the prawns now, are these still safe
to eat? I'm pretty sure octopus ink isn't poisonous or toxic
but thought I should ask.
Thanks
Jason

No it's not toxic as long as it's fresh and hasn't got contaminated. The Greeks and quite a few other cultures cook their octopus in the ink-some even can octopus in it.

Think of it as a cure or dye for bait, if you don't eat it, use a chunk for Steelhead fishing, assuming bait is allowed on your local stream. [emoji13]

camaronesypulpoalvinotinto.jpg

Delicious stuff actully

Is that ink on the bottom of the plate Db? Just curious.

I have never eaten the ink. Usually keep them in a separate bucket and let them "ink out" so to speak. Kill, de beak, clean, rinse, then cook them in their own juices and Greek seasoning in a slow oven for a few hours to break it down. You can cut it with a fork it's so tender.

Ya....I have had squid ink in some dishes; I am sure octopus would be fine as well.

Its common in Spain to use it in Paella, although squid ink is preferred. Perfectly fine.

Its common in Greece.Wont harm you..Traditional they hang it in sun to dry it out, beat the crap out to tenderize...The process to tenderize takes hours..

octopus-hanging_wide-5395be2e9ece462594ebf19080eb9485be0cb64e-s40-c85.jpg

Sicilians have spaghetti they make regionally I believe in Palermo region that use ink... Very old world dish...

Last edited by a moderator:
Its common in Greece.Wont harm you..Traditional they hang it in sun to dry it out, beat the crap out to tenderize...The process to tenderize takes hours..

I was sailing in Turkey a year and a half ago and we had dropped hook in this remote cove. I couldn't figure out what this old fella was doing on shore where his boat was pulled up and he was beating the living crap out of something against a rock; it looked like he was beating the water out of his laundry. ;) After watching him for 15+ minutes and not even thinking to use the binoculars I dove in and swam across the cove and realized when I got closer he was in fact 'tenderizing' a large octopus. I wanted to strike up a conversation.....but my Turkish was worse than his English. :eek:

Back