O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

WOW! Looks like I should have gone out yesterday as it was fish all around but I was worried about the wind warning in my little inflatable :(
The winds were accurate with a 2-3' chop at times depending on area, I buried my pulpit a couple times, it didn't lay down till later in the day.
Your best to check some of the live buoy and station reports as well

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 13384
View attachment 13386
Fished west van today. 3 limits of hoes. Two nice fat ones 7.5lbs each, two mid size and two that didn't make it past our bellies tonight.

Can you share what tackle and depths you were fishing? I grabbed 2 on July 18th but since then have struck out on 5 separate occasions.
Any tips you can share would be great...

The winds were accurate with a 2-3' chop at times depending on area, I buried my pulpit a couple times, it didn't lay down till later in the day.
Your best to check some of the live buoy and station reports as well

Sounds like I made the right call... I've been cautious to fish over by UBC (Bel Buoy, QA etc) and now that I am ready to do it the winds don't seem to be cooperating.

new Gibbs Delta Guide Series "T-10" Flasher with a pink Micheal Bait hootchie. Bon Chovy just got a huge supply of these at their Granville island store. I picked some up.

10360388_817707508273629_7007571812807084267_n.jpg

Was out off Iona (North arm to T10) today and landed two of three sockeye hits. One spring also that was just undersized. Should've landed another sox but my HMX snapped in two when I grabbed it out of the rod holder. Almost got it to the boat but no dice with half a rod. I'm done with those HMX rods. Nice to play fish on but too fragile for me.

Fished t10 5-8. Saw a bunch of schools as well as a groups boiling on the surface. Still only managed one bite which got away. Buddy's first hooked salmon lost 10 ft from the boat. Back out tomorrow!

What tides are safe to be out launching and fishing at the Sandheads?

Dennis if using the south arm try and avoid situations with a big ebb tide at the same time as a NW wind. At those times of you have to go in a "smaller" craft conside using the north arm to get out there. Tomorrow afternoon shows a great time to get out there. I will be out doing our best to help manage this fishery!

Dennis if using the south arm try and avoid situations with a big ebb tide at the same time as a NW wind. At those times of you have to go in a "smaller" craft conside using the north arm to get out there. Tomorrow afternoon shows a great time to get out there. I will be out doing our best to help manage this fishery!
Thanx. If using the North Arm ,are you avoiding the same situation, big ebb tide and high winds?

Thanx. If using the North Arm ,are you avoiding the same situation, big ebb tide and high winds?

Dennis, both arms can be very rough and dangerous during the conditions as described, the North is a little more protected and doesnt have quite the same volume of water coming down.
The big tide changes can make for some very rough water...

Had to make a tough call this morn between the hos or the socks. Went with the socks, 7 in the boat and literally lost over 12....but think I have the solution to that....will know better tomorrow. Out the north arm.

Fished north arm to t10 from 4 to 8. One for two sox, one red spring and a bunch of dogfish all on sock gear. Back out again tomorrow same time! BTW sorry if we cut u off, buddy left the helm to grab the 2nd rod on a double header but forgot to kill power.....

Anyone out there in a Duckworth??

Also....were any of the members who talk about their undersized boats out off the North Arm around 8:45?? 'Twas a perfect night for the small boats out there. We were remarking at the very small inflatable out there and saying..."perfect night to do that!". :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
gonna head out from the north arm this aft/eve. High slack around 5pm and not much of a drop to low slack at 9:30pm so hoping the wind stays down and it could be another flat calm evening out there! Hit a few sox at pender bluffs last week but this will be my first 'real' sockeye outing the year so I'm hoping to get into a bunch! I'm sure I'll see a bunch of you out there and I'll put in a report either way.

Back