O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

Hahaha.....a bit of wind keeps you honest and not napping.

Lol...yep. Hearing of quite a few "just under" legal and quite a few smaller fish around out there today. Seems to depend on what school you get on. Thrasher was producing well yesterday and this morning. Again, fish size is aall over the map.

I'm going to try and give it a go tomorrow. Sunday also, so long as it's not too windy. See you out there!

Fished the SE corner of the hump noon until 5 or so and hit some action around 4 or so. Was hearing about all the big herring in the bellies of some if the fish being caught, so decided to try out a big tomic spoon with herring pattern. Hadone small chinook and small coho hit it pretty quick but tegu were tiny greedy fish. Landed a 14 lbs spring in around 100 feet deep in a glo with black horrizontal striped hootchy. Had two more good solid hits, one which didn't get a good hook set and one that hit ran and played before spitting the hook. Irish cream got the action on the two that got away. I was actually just off the hump in like 750 feet of water, and the tide was moving like thrasher. Be back out Sunday for the derby.

I am ground bound as my Dad is in town for a day and a half but just heard from a buddy who I was to be with....and they've got into a few at the hump this morning.

Pic he sent looks much nicer than what the forecast was calling for. :rolleyes: Good ole Environment Canada and their marine forecasts. :rolleyes:

Fished yesterday, no salmon for us put did good on the prawns. More main engine issues FAWK! I hate inboards

Planning on being out there tomorrow. we will miss all the tides, but this is more about a few trials on new equipment.

Had a couple of things to do on the boat this morning so i monitored the radio while I puttered installing my new cleaning station. Sounded like there was a couple taken on the morning tide. I didn't get out to the hump until 10 and by 11 it was getting pretty lumpy. I pulled lines at noon, tried a pass at the bell and pulled my trap. Not a sniff for me but didn't work that hard at it.

Recently moved to Vancouver from Victoria and am still trying to figure everything out.

Is the Bell Buoy up and running yet?

We did okay at the hump last weekend, but as you say, it gets a little lumpy.

Don't think I'd say it's up and running yet or there would be a lot more boats there. Was sure a lot nicer to fish solo though. My back doesn't handle that hump lump real well. What's tomorrow got in store for us? Not sure whether to sleep in or give her a go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Recently moved to Vancouver from Victoria and am still trying to figure everything out.

Is the Bell Buoy up and running yet?

We did okay at the hump last weekend, but as you say, it gets a little lumpy.

There are fish at the Bell 365 days a year...If it's lumpy and you just want to wash lures, waste bait, time and gas for maybe a happenstance decent chinook, knock yourself out. However, you probably won't see any local guide boats making that the charter location of choice for another 90 days. Hint hint hint.

Most charters will fish West Van starting June 15 for a lucky Coho....pray there is no rain for this to happen.

You will find the more reputable and experienced local guides running to the Gulf Islands and fishing offshore for Chinooks based on consistency and results. However, If you're looking for an early big slug, May has been known to produce a one off 30-40 plus from the Bell some years.

I know of a couple of 9 pound anemic skinny mini Chinooks dredged out of the Bell recently by a guide boat looking to alleviate the puking stomachs of well paying guests in the last 2 days.

If the wind cooperates we will be out at the Hump for the early high tide. :)

The wind is supposed to drop down significantly tomorrow, but don' t forget the rain gear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, thanks for your many tips- appreciated.

Hump was pretty rough yesterday, 2 small ones, and one keeper, and gave up because it was too rough for my old bones and my co-pilot ran over our lines. And some ugly tough slime kept covering my lines.
But I followed a friend’s tip and loaded up on crab really well!
The tip: Carlyle cat food
Trouble is, it is hard to find - but as it turns out I do some consulting for the manufacturer: Shafer-Haggart Ltd. And they gave me handy tip I thought I would share on a site visit on Friday May 2nd:
It is also branded as "London Drugs- Tuna for Cats" exactly the same product - AND looks like this: http://www.londondrugs.com/London-Drugs-Tuna-Cat-Food---170g/L4744884,default,pd.html

Had trouble finding the cat food Chris my buddy suggested, so did some sleuthing that paid off.

Speaking to the manufacturer (in person) - the Thai manufacturing process adds something that attracts Dungeness Crabs like nothing else ( they suspect the Vitamin E infusion - but don't really know) . They also told me a West Coast fishing lodge ordered a whole skid of it!
And as it turns out - it really worked - go figure! Trap was so full I thought it was a gaint sun/starfish coming up - but to my pleasant surprise it was a solid mass of keeper-sized crabs (20+) - but I had to settle on the 2 person limit of just the biggest ones :-( following the rules and all.

Tight lines all.

We got out today. A little bumpy for sure but just NE of the hump my bud hooked into a screamer...26 lb white. It was caught on chovies. Short day for us as our rain gear soaked through.

uzu3uzav.jpg

Back