O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

I was out from 1130 until 230 or so, kinda rough water and and very little to no action. Only one little shaker but prawning and crabbing were quite good. Ran rods 120,110,90 and 80 with glo head chovy, sparkle back hootchy, ace high and cookies and cream spoon.

NOW is your chance to have your say and possibly get Vanier Park boat launch reworked.

Call 3-1-1 now or 604 873 7000 now!!!

I just spoke to a Parks board official and his advice was for as many people as possible to call in and express their displeasure.

The issues with the launch are well known to us enthusiasts who know about the facility but the people who work in the glass offices and cut the cheques don't!!! But the city needs to hear about it from as many people as possible!!!

Here's a quick recap.

1. The engineering of the launches make launching a boat larger than 14 feet on anything less than a 7 foot tide a risky or costly proposition. It requires backing your vehicle into sand and/or water depending on the size of your boat to launch and/or haul out. Ridiculous! The gradient of the west ramp needs to be reengineered and the ramp improved so that boaters can launch/and or retrieve on a zero foot tide. Totally unacceptable! Who is going to pay $18 for a facility which is unusable 8-9 hours a day?

2. The west ramp docks were damaged behind reasonable cost repair by large deadhead. As a result the docks have been hauled out and there is not enough dock space on weekends on suitable tides. The West side ramp is partially blocked by the eyesore old docks and foul stench of decaying zebra mussels.

3. The east side docks are overloaded when the False Creek Racing Canoe Clubs and Vancouver College Private School Rich kids get into their stupid racing canoes. Sometimes there are 50-60 Kids on the east dock!!! What a joke...they are a commercial enterprise and they're damaging taxpayer funded facilities for commercial purposes...while recreational I nature, they are commercial...it's part of the students phys ed programs!!!

3. The docks do not extend far enough and need at least another 40 foot extension so you can dock your boat after launching or returning at low tide! Hilarious...there is no boat launch at low tide!!!

4. Washdown. If you want to wash down your boat after hauling out there are only 2 water taps. Both are buried in the ground in a small pit. You have to get on your hands and knees to put a hose on the tap!!

5. There is one garbage can at the Launch area. 5000 Starbucks cups fill it up and there is no garbage can in the wash down area.

6. Vanier Park is a summer use facility. There are no tables or picnic tables anywhere.

7. From time to time the facility is used by various commercial enterprises. It is a public recreational enterprise!!! Over the last few weeks I have seen Granville Island Boat Rentals using the parking lot as a boat yard using a large full size cherry picker (hoist) to hang new outboards on their fleet of 16 to 17 foot rental boats over several days. While they were doing this, they had 2 of their rental boats rafted and tied up to the dock. WTF??!?!? W.T.F.??!.,.,.,.,.,.,

There's another firm. He has this double decker trailer which is like 50 feet long and he has these massive canoes...I think he's called Canadian Outback Adventures or something like that. The canoes are probably 40 feet long and seat 20 people or something like that. He launches and holds his team building events at the ramp. He cut off a couple of boaters, tied up the one dock on occasion for a half hour or more then lipped off a few of us. Next time he does that, his trailer and vehicle may not be in the same condition when he returns.

Honestly, the facility has not changed in 30 years and is majorly outdated...people don't fish out of cartoppers in Vancouver anymore.

Call the hotline and make your voice heard before it's too late!!!!

Vancouver needs a working boat launch!!!! If there are millions for bike lanes, they surely there is money for a damn launch!!!

Gee - great idea..
but what a surprise, the 'Customer Service Hotline' number 604 873 7000 is not in service - pfffht on COV

Just got off the water released one barely legal and kept one 10-12 lbs. both fish were on 4.0 kitchen sink spoon at 120ft. Nothing on bait today.

Gee - great idea..
but what a surprise, the 'Customer Service Hotline' number 604 873 7000 is not in service - pfffht on COV

Try again. It was down for a while.

fished the hump today 10am-2pm. nothing bigger then 10lbs most action on copcar and no bananas. 80-120'. little rough leaving the North arm but the hump was calm.

A fine young man and an experienced fisherman lost his life tragically this past weekend near texada isl. Although we don't know the exact cause for this tragedy it is safe to say that misreading the weather played a large role. It's a stark reminder to all of us who so love our time out there that you can never be to prepared. Check and recheck your safety gear. Make certain your PFD's are all up to date and wear them. Know what the weather and tides are supposed to do and recognize when they start to change for the worse. Let someone know where your going and when you'll return. Know your own limits as well as your vessels. Hopefully this tragic accident will be enough to remind everyone not to let it happen again. Condolences to the family and friends of Jordon Beaudoin. Stay safe everyone.

Sorry to hear such tragic news. I have been thinking safety on board lately myself. Need to get a nema cable and hook my radio to the raymarine. Maybe update the fire extinguisher, I ve heard of lots that are in the green and not work when activated.

On a more positive note, we picked up a beauty 17 lbs spring off the hump at 130 with a ace high and kinetic flasher.

Sorry to hear such tragic news. I have been thinking safety on board lately myself. Need to get a nema cable and hook my radio to the raymarine. Maybe update the fire extinguisher, I ve heard of lots that are in the green and not work when activated.

On a more positive note, we picked up a beauty 17 lbs spring off the hump at 130 with a ace high and kinetic flasher.

Pretty slow for us today, picked up a 9 lbs red at 105 on the rigger with a glo chovy head. Two friends of mine each on their on boats each caught a fish also. We all had to out time in to get them.

Fished around the hump from 12 - 5 yesterday, one 10lb ish on chartruese chovyhead. Bathtub calm all afternoon. Seems slower than last week.

What is the ideal tide/current/weather location to get readings for fishing the Hump?

New to the area and have been using: Vancouver, Bowen, Gibson's etc. as the weather stations.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Haha.....I have Finished Business to thank for it. ;)

Of those two mentioned Halibut Bank is likely your best bet.

SE 20 knots is awesome... Not...SE 25 knots is better...lol...SE 3O knots....supreme...lol

Back