Note to Charlie-Shearwater

E

excalibur

I didn't want to hi-jack the ferry pricing thread....
To get to Shearwater you can launch out of Port Hardy and run North (a very long boat-ride) or launch out of Bella Coola. I always use the Bella Coola route. People talk of "The Hill" down into the Bella Coola valley but semis and Greyhound busses go up and down that hill every day. Just take it easy and its fine. The road is now all paved except for about 60 kms. of good gravel from west of Anaheim to the bottom of the hill. Paved again for the last 80 kms. into Bella Coola. Very pretty drive.
Boat launch in Bella Coola is quite good but if there is a negative tide and you have too big a boat you might have to wait. I can launch my 24' Searay when the tide is at 3 ft.
2 1/2 hr. boat ride at 25 kts. from Bella Coola to Shearwater. Shearwater now has all services. Fuel, groceries, booze, restaurant, bar, laundry, boat repairs, parts, radio shop, etc. The lodge or hotel is o.k. but as Shearwater also has a big sport fishing operation going on sometimes they are full of "full service" guests. The package deal that includes the flight, the room(s), the fishing boat, etc. You would need to call.
There are a lot of B+B's around there. My favorite is www.whiskeycovebedandbreakfast.com Carol and Vern have been on Denny Island for many years. They have rooms or cabins for rent. They have always treated me and my family and friends very well.
If you get out there IMHO you are now in the some of the best Salmon fishing areas in the world. I'm not kiddin':D

quote:Originally posted by Charlie

Thanks, I been looking at Whiskey Cove! :)

I was at Shearwater for a month in 1996. Make sure you have spare parts incase you need them. This is not a place to be held at the mercy of Shearwater if you have a breakdown.

There are insurance companies who will haul boats back to Vancouver rather than let them work on them there.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Back