17’ Marinex outboard size??

Earl

A couple of years ago I purchased a 17’ Marinex hull on a government auction website. The boat was located on Denny Island (near Bella Bella) and was owned by the coastguard as a runabout boat.

Curious as to what size of outboard you guys would run on a boat this size. My eventual plans were to modify the transom and add a pod but I’m considering running the boat as-is for some time to determine whether the boat is boat is a worth spending money on that extent of modifications.

Attachments

• IMG_2075.jpeg
    IMG_2075.jpeg
    865.3 KB · Views: 63
  • FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    330.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2001.jpeg
    IMG_2001.jpeg
    407.5 KB · Views: 63
A couple of years ago I purchased a 17’ Marinex hull on a government auction website. The boat was located on Denny Island (near Bella Bella) and was owned by the coastguard as a runabout boat.

Curious as to what size of outboard you guys would run on a boat this size. My eventual plans were to modify the transom and add a pod but I’m considering running the boat as-is for some time to determine whether the boat is boat is a worth spending money on that extent of modifications.
I’m running a 90hp Honda on a 20’ aluminum hull. It’s adequate power wise and great on fuel. Top speed at WOT is 32 mph loaded with me, my wife and all our gear. 115 would be better but if I had $$$ to burn I’d go for 150hp. That said, A 150hp may be too heavy for your 17’. I had a glass 17.5 with a 140 2 stroke and it was stern heavy.IMG_6981.jpeg

Last edited:
Assuming you mean which four stroke, considering the weight, a 90 horse would be minimum, 115 would be good, 150 would be better.

You can't put a 150 on that little boat. Not only is that a dumb idea but you have a 20inch transom to deal with.

extend the transom, weld on a pod, run a 150 and have more dance floor. With that said, if you keep it lightly loaded a 75 will likely push two people along just fine.

extend the transom, weld on a pod, run a 150 and have more dance floor. With that said, if you keep it lightly loaded a 75 will likely push two people alon
My original plan was to modify the transom to eliminate the splashwell which will ad 12-16” of deck space or storage and add a pod with a 90-115hp

I am currently running a 17’ fibrepro cc podded with a 60 merc. Even though I know better I was hoping the consensus from everyone was to run something small so I could just swap the rigging and power for little to no cost. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_3500.jpeg
    IMG_3500.jpeg
    371 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
My original plan was to modify the transom to eliminate the splashwell which will ad 12-16” of deck space or storage and add a pod with a 90-115hp

I am currently running a 17’ fibrepro cc podded with a 60 merc. Even though I know better I was hoping the consensus from everyone was to run something small so I could just swap the rigging and power for little to no cost. Lol
There were a few suggestions for 90.

I had a look at Silver Streak 17 hardtop specs - https://www.silverstreakboats.com/boats/17-carmanah-hard-top/ - which looks similar to your Marinex. Recommended horsepower is 90-115 for a hull weight of 1900 lbs. Lifetimer's 18' boats have a recommended max of 115.

Marinex themselves may have a recommendation for you -- seems like it would be worth a call or an email.
Great advice. I think I may go for a lease return 90-115 from bridgeview

What are your plans with the fibrepro cc?
Asking for a friend in case my wife is looking at this.

Back