17’ Marinex outboard size??

The current transom supports a 20” leg. I’ll probably seek out a short shaft if I’m going through the effort of modifying the transom.
Are you on the island or mainland ? Not sure if I missed that part of the thread

I had a look at Silver Streak 17 hardtop specs - https://www.silverstreakboats.com/boats/17-carmanah-hard-top/ - which looks similar to your Marinex. Recommended horsepower is 90-115 for a hull weight of 1900 lbs. Lifetimer's 18' boats have a recommended max of 115.

Marinex themselves may have a recommendation for you -- seems like it would be worth a call or an email.

Call Seasport ( Marinex ) in Rupert and talk to Gary, he should be able to tell you what the boat was originally built to have on it or the ratings for it.

My original plan was to modify the transom to eliminate the splashwell which will ad 12-16” of deck space or storage and add a pod with a 90-115hp

I am currently running a 17’ fibrepro cc podded with a 60 merc. Even though I know better I was hoping the consensus from everyone was to run something small so I could just swap the rigging and power for little to no cost. Lol
I ran a 19 with a 60hp 4 stroke with uneven compression.. It did 22 knots flat out with 2 guys and gear... but the hull by itself was only 900lbs. Moving up to a healthy 75 and it did 27.. On a smaller hull speeds usually dictated by conditions / how hard you want to get pounded/ how cheap you are. On mine I typically run 18 knots @ 3.5 gph. Pushing to 26-27 puts the consumption up around 7-8 GPH and I'm to cheap to run it that hard.. With that said, I'd drop a new 90 on if the price was right.

There is one slightly newer in the Courtney Cumberland area, I believe. It’s from a guy who buys a lot of items off of BC Ferries, things that have little use on them.

The 90 Merc is a good choice because it has the lower gear ratio, very close to what the command thrust ratio is, except it spins the normal sized prop.
This year of merc should be named miss piggy. They weigh 400lbs. The newer models weigh 360.

Back