Nootka sound reports?

oguard

Anyone been up there latley?going up last week of July hoping the fishing was better than last year.

Westview Marine now has an on-line stats board, combine that w the Critter Cove data and you should have a pretty good pic of the fishing

Good luck

JD

The scary thing is neither of those boards has been updated in the last two weeks. What does that say? No fish?

I have two mixed reports. The latest sound like the fish are still out. Fishing inside is slow. Even the guides are having problems People heading out 5-6 miles are catching a few. Those wiling to go out further (25 miles) are limiting on Chinooks and Haili’s.

I'll be at Critter Cove the 22 throught the 28th. I hear they have internet connection in the cafe now. I'll send a update if I get a chance.

The Dom

Dom: I also noticed that, I fish the hi-way IF I have to. Good luck and pls do post :)

JD

Hey guys I notice that crittercove is pretty slow on updating there site.so I don't think you can judge the fishing by criiter cove site.I will be leaving the 24 of this month and be back by the 29 or so.I will post a report then.Tips up and tight lines:D:D

Mike

Good luck guys, I cant wait to hear the reports. I will be there from Aug 9th-15th, Cant wait!

I'm getting a little nervous. I'm heading up to Tahsis next Thursday through Sunday. Hope they show soon....

Kramer please let me knwo how you do i will be heading up a week or two after you .

Fished out of Tahsis last Wednesday July 5, Thursday, and Friday. Wend and Thurs, spring limits to 26 lbs, but fished 6-8 miles off Ferrier as not much in the rockpiles around Ferrier, Pin Rock or Rosa. Also go some Halibut and other bottom dwellers jigging. Heard that some fish were at Rosa on Friday. All fish were caught at 70-75 ft in about 220-230 ft of water. Anchovies were the ticket. Buddy of mine fished Maquinna and got 2 springs and lost 2 for his efforts last Sat and Sun.

Just got back from Couger Creek. Fished July 9-11 with only one 26 pound spring to show for it. Talked to a lot of other fishers and fishing is awful!! Tried out at Birdwood and Friendly Cove as well and there doesn't seem to be any fish out there either. The Glory Hole, which had 50-75 boats catching fish in it last year at the same time, was empty of boats and fish!
Where are all the fish?

hope there there by the 6th aug, and in big numbers , seems this year the fish just aren`t anywhere. tight lines scotty

We are heading up to Hoiss point aug25 to 29 . Talked to Lodge today and they say things are gradually improving. Would be very interested in hearing how anyone fishing the area makes out over the next month.

I notice some of you talk about the 'hi-way'.... is that considered the big drop off (50fat. line?? .... or does have coordinates or bearing and distance??? Thanks heading in a week! Hali coors would be good too :D

Yup, 50 fathom line....if you can get out. Go early, come back early.

:D Great fishing at nootka sound, fish all the way up to Couger Creek. We only fished 1 day but got two out at the lighthouse in the morning(lost both[B)] !) then in the evening bite 4 fish landed in 1.5 hours( 3 of which in 30 minutes:D:D) all 22 to 29 pounds fishing anchovies/flashers. 2.7-3 mph.

tight lines

Was at Cougar Creek July 9th to 24th. 9th to 18th was very frustrating, torrential rain and very few fish both inside and out to Beano and Burdwood as well.

Burdwood produced 2 small wild coho and we fished it hard 3 days....first 7 days Dr Hook's boat and one other of our group had the only springs, 26 and 29lbs, Hook's near Strange Island entrance to Tahsis Inlet and the 29 just before dark straight across from C Creek. Needless to say next morning probably 30 boats there and most did well...but by afternoon fish had moved on.

Inside, tons of mackeral and dogfish. Coyote spoons, 4" green/white, watermellon and the one that looks like a rainbow trout produced most fish for our group.

I went 11 days without a big spring, that's never happened before.

First one was a hot one though...36.9lbs and she took me into the backing before I started to chase...that's close to 375 yards of mono out. Small army truck hootchie was what she liked, the bay just south of Princess Royal Point. From that Point to across from CC produced 15 springs for us, but sporadically.

One buddy managed to land a double header, 24 and 25lbs while out by himself. Right at PR Point.

In the last 30 years fish have ALWAYS been plentiful on the inside by July 25th. Some years there inside early in the month, sometimes later.

First light mornings of I believe the 21st and 22nd the CC side of the Slide produced 16 hookups and 12 landed that I know of. Morris the plug collector from CR and his partner Barry on the Inlet Grizzly did very well there both days.

Our 6 boats stayed from 3 to 18 days depending on frustration tolerance..total springs 31 and of those only 5 from outside on the 24th and 25th. Just spoke with the guy that landed the double header, he was outside Friendly to Calcium Creek on the 25th, lost two, one to a bad O ring on Coyote, one one just long enough to get him excited...landed a 16 right off McQuinna. He says very few boats were outside that morning, but has no idea how they did inside.

Well great to hear Salmon Killer!!! My husband and boy's have been at Cougar creek since the 23rd and suppose to be home tonight or tommorow. I hope they have good luck too! I have heard that it has been pretty slow, as Bish said. Hopefully things picked up for the week they were there. You were there fishing the same day as him. Do you stay at the campsite Salmonkiller? I am sure he will let you all know how it went when he returns!! Till then tips up!![8D]

Just for interest sake, my history at Nootka.

2003 - Arrived July 20th, left the 26th, 8 springs brought home for total 208lbs, 4 released, 4 lost - 2 small wild Coho. Wife and I never went to the outside, never got up early, hookups from 8:15am earliest to 9:40pm latest. 15 years of salmon fishing had no over 30's for me, Nootka gave me 4 in 6 days...31,33,34,37. 5 of 8 springs on 4" green/white Coyote with two 2 oz weights, 30 pulls, downrigger fish from 22-32'.

2004 - Arrived July 16th, left the 24th. 8 Chinook kept, total 145.5lbs, 2 released, 2 lost, none over 30. - Coho, 27 landed, one eaten in camp, 2 brought home, rest released or lost, no idea how many hookups, they were a pain in the butt at Friendly far as I was concerned. Fish shallower, 18-24', zippo spings on Coyote, all on anchovie.

2005 - Arrived July 9th, left on the 16th, we seem to be pushing the season each year...had 4 licenses, brought home 15 springs, total weight 255.1 lbs, 4 lost. 6 released, one little guy eaten in camp, only one over 30 at 35.5, Burdwood especially was hot from day one. Coho, 13 landed, 11 were wild and released even if legal, one hatchery eaten in camp and one 10lb brought home for lox. First few days fish at 60+ feet then shallower to 24'. Everything on anchovy.

2006 - Arrived the 9th, in the drizzle, left the 24th well roasted from sun. One nice day, first week then 5 days of torrential rain and no fish, followed by a week of oppressive heat 30-40C. 4pm to 8pm most smaller boats fishing the shade, fish there or not. From the 9th to the 18th springs were few and far between for Cougar Creek fishing inside or out, excluding the offshore banks which always produce. Fisheries were inches from shutting the whole area down. Mu Alberta partner left in disgust after 9 days, at least he took home cooler full of ling and black bass but no salmon. Fished mainly by myself the next week...brought back 6 springs, total 130lbs, largest a 36.9 hen that was supercharged. Everything broke on this trip, tent, Jeep, sounder, GPS chart plotter, prop, engine, trailer on the way out and to top it off, a tooth.

While Alberta buddy was with me on about the 5th day we fished 5 rods at Burdwood in the pouring rain...4 on downriggers, one flyrod with fly in the propwash and I was so frustrated by then I picked up a spinning rod and was casting Crocs for a 6th rod while trolling.

2007 we'll hit Cougar Creek on the 19th. Note to self....never again fish 4 rods while alone.

I'm the 17' center console Eaglecraft, Mental Floss...and no, I'm not a dentist, just a semi old parrothead.

Back