Nootka Sound / Esperanza Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Most people fish outer bajo-I have fished both but it is extremly tricky to not hang up between the 2 reefs and especially in rough water. If you have never been there do yourself a favour and stick to the outer reef first. It tends to be more productive, easier to navigate around, with much less chance of running afoul of the RCA which is just NW of the red buoy.

Tide Up, there is no need to fish the inside reef. You will lose your cannon balls as it can get ugly in a hurry. The odd time you can get into salmon but for the most part you get smaller ling, black cod, and rocks.

Fish the south end/face of the reef up to the Whistle buoy then you can troll north for a mile or so. There are some parts of the reef that can come up in a hurry if you’re not watching your screen when you get close to the kelp as well. If you’re fishing in 50 to 70 feet of water you will be ok. There are times the fish are off the reef so you end up trolling around the buoy.

Codfather, have you been fishing Nootka yet this year? If so, how's it compare to last year? Are runs earlier than normal (which I hear some people saying)?

hey ,thanx Codfather you probably have saved me a cannon ball or two and at the price of lead these days thats a good point to know.appreciate the post

Heres some Bajo mayhem, three days ago.

P7110039.jpg

Well done Dave! I'm counting the hours until next friday. Maybe this year i'll get up the guts to head out to the reef

The cherry is busted... Spent enough time being a creeper and just reading the forums. Figured I should not be a stranger.... Heading up to Nootka (Cougar Creek) again on August 4th... Sounds like things are heating up now which is great... Bringing up a buddy who has never fished Nootka before and looking forward to blowing his mind... Keep the good reports coming boys.

That's right Anyfishlldo! I can't wait.
Looking forward to Monday out in Sooke as well!...practice makes perfect.

Holmes! I am a Bruins fan and congratulate you on Last year’s victory...I know I am enjoying a cup this year.
But I noticed the custom Tomic....very sweet. I order from Tomic regularly...I may have to do a little sweet talking...lol

Tailspin
Hope you have a blast up there this week.....nothing but Big girls.
I'm still hoping Anyfishlldo and I make it out Hali fishing with ya sometime.

Jayhu

I will be heading up July 30 (cougar creek). How is the fishing on the inside?

Mike

leaving sunday morning staying in tahsis, fishing ferrer, bajo and the highway anyone else going to be out there what channels you guys monitoring?

leaving sunday morning staying in tahsis, fishing ferrer, bajo and the highway anyone else going to be out there what channels you guys monitoring?

I believe most guy are on 68.. I will be out off Bajo Weds ...course weather permitting :)

i didn't realize those regs kicked in that's a bummer, the morning forecasts look good should be some good fishing offshore,

Back