Nootka Sound / Esperanza Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Any recent reports...got some guys heading up on 26th? They are dying to know if the hogs have arrived. Any inside reports?? How is the highway?

DUDE, im ALL OVER that if you guys would have me, that would absolutely make my entire summer man, you have no idea how much i appreciate that offer, holy smokes that is really really generous.....holmes*

Aw crap......IFL.....I guess after Milner took all the heat for puking last year we likely do need a new beeotch. :p

Dave....we are just trying to figure out dates....I am good but those with "families" are selling the dates to the "significant others".

of course my cooking background must be your alterior motive,lol, just kidding.....holmes*

Haha......holmes.....I am MORE than happy to cook....it's what I like to do in my free time! ;) You can sit back....relax.....and keep Dave away from the Crown Royal. (fyi he is doing karate or judo now:eek:....so it could be one hell of a job, as for a short guy he's built "fairly" solid.);)

probably heading to Tahsis next week to fish esperenza if the weather forecast stays favourable. looking at staying at the Tahsis motel. hopefully find some good fishing. it's either going to be Hardy or Tahsis, will post a report when I get back.

Just got back yesterday from 4 days at Nootka. This was about my 12th trip to Nootka over the years. The fishing was by far the best of any previous trip. Fish were smaller than average (biggest 27) with average about 18. We only fished Bajo and the action was non-stop all day between coho (we got our limits of hatchery) and chinook. Ratio was about 5-6 coho to each chinook. We released about 15-20 chinook per day with white hootchie being the biggest killer. Anchovies were working but a lot of work with the amount of coho around.

TR, how was the weather off shore? Any calm days/fog? What time of day were you hitting Bajo?

Pescador - we were lucky, Bajo was fishable all day. We would be out there from about 7:00 am to 4:00 pm - it was flatter out there than at the Lighthouse. One day was foggy but not too thick and it cleared by noon.

The fishing is currently incredible in Nootka! The last 6 days at Ferrer pt have been good all day and then last night at the lighthouse we hit 10 springs and boated 6. In 20 years of guiding I have personally only had 1 triple header in 20 plus pound chinook and last night we had 2 triple headers the biggest was 32!

The fishing is currently incredible in Nootka! The last 6 days at Ferrer pt have been good all day and then last night at the lighthouse we hit 10 springs and boated 6. In 20 years of guiding I have personally only had 1 triple header in 20 plus pound chinook and last night we had 2 triple headers the biggest was 32!

Nicely done, big congrats on those triples. Quite the accomplishment, way to go!!!!

Easy guys, I am heading up to Critter next Thursday and would like to get some sleep this week...

help???

Just got back yesterday from 4 days at Nootka. This was about my 12th trip to Nootka over the years. The fishing was by far the best of any previous trip. Fish were smaller than average (biggest 27) with average about 18. We only fished Bajo and the action was non-stop all day between coho (we got our limits of hatchery) and chinook. Ratio was about 5-6 coho to each chinook. We released about 15-20 chinook per day with white hootchie being the biggest killer. Anchovies were working but a lot of work with the amount of coho around.

I'm a relative neewbie to nootka and am leaving next week for 4 days. Will you share the colors of flasher/hootchie and the leader length that was so productive? THank you!

I'm a relative neewbie to nootka and am leaving next week for 4 days. Will you share the colors of flasher/hootchie and the leader length that was so productive? THank you!

Large sized anchovies with chrome and clear green wired teasers. Green glow flasher one side and red glow the other. 33 and 44 feet are my superstitous numbers for the lighthouse. If you go with out a bite for a pass do 48 and 55 feet as close as you can get to the rocks. When you are tired of the coho/run out of bait, big pilchard colored spoons worked good for us. Honestly though, everyone is doing well and there is lots of fish around. Good time to experiment as you are closing in on your limit. Cheers.

Barkerfam - At Bajo, white hootchie with purple flasher at 66 feet was the top producer. Slower troll than normal for springs. Good luck.

Quote from barkerfam "I'm a relative neewbie to nootka and am leaving next week for 4 days. Will you share the colors of flasher/hootchie and the leader length that was so productive? THank you!"

When we were up there from June 21 until July 4 all we used was a white & green hoochie, 26" behind a silver flasher with green trim. We tried anchovies, spoons, plugs and a few others, but the hoochie was the best, one of the guides from Moutcha Bay tried cut plug herring and at the end of our trip he was doing good at the lighthouse using that. The hoochie was called "Vanilla Ice"

Everybody has their own special thoughts on what to use, some fish with a blue flasher, some with a silver/chrome flasher, purple flasher, etc but when we were up there it didn't seem to matter what color it was.

I'm from the old school, I have been a die heart dodger user for years and have caught fish but in the last couple of years used flashers.

We fished Nootka for about 3 or 4 years back in the mid 1990's using cut plug herring & hoochies (army truck) and did good. Then we went on a few trips up the coast with St. John's Fishing, got a little expensive so we bought another boat and headed back to Nootka. Since 2008 we have had 6 trips to Nootka (each lasting from 10 days to 2 weeks) and have noticed that the cut plug hasn't done as good as the anchovie as it had in years past. This year (at the time we were up there) the hoochie was the answer, mind you this tear is not the normal (In my opinion) Last year we did great in June and when we came back in July/Aug with the anchovies we did good also. Tried the same hoochie last year and decided to go back to the anchovie as it did better.

People on this list must think we are a little crazy, we go up there for two weeks, sure we come back with our limit, but you could get that in 2 or 3 days but we enjoy ourselves, it's our holiday, we set our crab traps, set our prawn traps, (didn't get any crab and only a few prawns) but we enjoy it.

When we were up there it didn't seem to matter what you had on your line, coho we caught on the surface to the bottom, the springs were from 47 to the bottom, but we found 57' was the magic number for them, for us but mind you others had good luck at different depths. Remember, it's called fishing, not catching

Heading back there on July 26 for another 2 weeks

Good luck to you.

Dennis

thanks Dennis. I love to try everything but it sure is nice to know what's been working for others. Try to get the skunk off the boat that first day!

Fresh report. THe last two days have been awesome for salmon and halis. Halis are averaging 60 lbs and salmon are everywhere. Have fun!

Back