Nootka Sound 2014 Fishing Reports

That brown algae bloom really slowed the fishing when it was down in Sooke around mid June. It lasted about 10 days then cleared up and the fishing improved again.

same thing happened in bamfield earlier this year - once it cleared up or we moved into clear water areas the bite came back on

Mike (AKA SF)
Great report! This low pressure system that moved in yesterday slowed the catching down in Nootka & Esperanza a bit. But both the early morning and evening bite have been AWESOME. Mid-day Naps help!!!
Keep the bait working for results. Stick & Stay works.
High Pressure move in tomorrow that's a good thing for Catching for the next week

Just finished up a Nootka trip.. Spring Fevers report is pretty much the same as ours. We hit one good tide change at Beano where needlefish anything were getting smashed but otherwise had to work hard for springs. Tried fishing Hoiss Point today (we prefer fishing the outside) and I can report there are some mackerel, only a few but they are definitely in Nootka.

Very small springs as well! Only caught two that would have had a chance of breaking 20#

I'm sure it will pick up.

A couple shots from the weekend...

Catch from Sat morning at Burdwood, returned the next day to the brown water SF spoke of...and a beautiful night with no bites at Hoiss.

Similar experience to Hambone on the size. Of our 9 springs we had two 19's and 18 as our biggest. Fought hard though.

Attachments

• IMG_1107.JPG
    IMG_1107.JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 525
  • IMG_1100.JPG
    IMG_1100.JPG
    10.8 KB · Views: 524
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reports, good or not any info is appreciated. Headed up tomorrow. Any reports from out further around the 50 fathom line?

Thanks

I have never heard of a seal taking a fish until this year in Nootka. Why not? That's what they eat and maybe more seals this year!! Makes sense that the Hiway should hold fish if the bloom is making things tough on the reef. Day I was out I had pushed as hard as I cared to into a rising Soueaster.

Headed out in a few hours. This same weekend last year was kind of the beginning for me on the inside. Fished all of the Saturday without a bite then it turned on for good on Sunday! Hopefully this rings true this year. Will report back on Monday.

Cheers

For all the hype of record returns and 5 & 6 year old fish, why are most fish recorded at Critter Cove below 20 pounds this year, and the numbers posted are not that significant? I appreciate that Nootka is an August fishery, but there are fish on the outside, which I would expect would be bigger this year???

Are most of the teeners being caught males, with the Females to follow? Last year was great, but again, most under 25 with lots under 20. I suspect that this is the major thrust of the Canuma Hatchery, as it means less attrition at sea, but I sure have fond memories of big fish from the past, which I hope to rekindle.

Drewski

The past weekend was very good Chinook fishing in both Esperanza & Nootka but the rain sure changed that. Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday the catching was VERY slow, Thursday it picked back up especially for the boat that fished outside. The "T", Pinnacles on the Highway are THE HOT SPOTS - loaded with Chinook, Halibut & final Coho. Bonus the water is flat out there now & it is supposed to stay that way through this wkend. Fishing seems best with lines down 150+/-

For all the hype of record returns and 5 & 6 year old fish, why are most fish recorded at Critter Cove below 20 pounds this year, and the numbers posted are not that significant? I appreciate that Nootka is an August fishery, but there are fish on the outside, which I would expect would be bigger this year???

Are most of the teeners being caught males, with the Females to follow? Last year was great, but again, most under 25 with lots under 20. I suspect that this is the major thrust of the Canuma Hatchery, as it means less attrition at sea, but I sure have fond memories of big fish from the past, which I hope to rekindle.

Drewski

After returning from our 3rd trip to Esperanza with limits of 15-25 pounders for 4 of us, we are also wondering where the big ones are. The inlet and mouth of the inlet was again very disappointing 3 trips in a row with us catching only a couple per trip and seeing maybe one out of 10 boats catch one per morning. Not even remotely close to last year. We had no trouble at all getting our limits just inside the surf line each day of unders and overs. We noticed at least 90% of the springs in our 3 trips were females and thought that was odd. Only caught 2 coho so far this year which seems consistant with everyone elses reports. As of tuesday that brutal dark brown algae bloom was still present even when we ventured 14 miles offshore trying to escape it. Didn't try for salmon out there but got a few halibut finally. Anyone else we talked to got pretty much skunked offshore on the highway or at the T recently and it seems everyone is blaming that terrible algae bloom, hopefully that clears up really soon......

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. Its definitely an August fishery. Especially for the inside. End of the first week in August has given me the best results. Right thru till August 31st so long as you follow the Conuma fish into Moutcha Bay. Personally I've had mixed results August LW. Tried both inside and Bajo a few years back with little success. Hardly saw a net. But last year started on Aug 10th and had great results at Camel and Hoiss. Anchovy and bright fish. Returned on Aug 22 for 4 days and never left Moutcha Bay. 30 bucks in fuel tops. Full limits for 3 fishers. All in low twenty's. All on plugs late in the season. No flashers! Will be back this year starting on the 15th. Late August fishing was tricky. Had to find em' on the Lowrance then needed to give them what they wanted. Straight plug at 80 feet most days. Here's hoping some late season hogs show up!

Hi fishers. Talk with the head person of DFO Science for WCVI recently & combine with the Area "F "troll DNA report it is presumed that the Conuma run HAS Well as many other runs are LATE this year. Why ?? Who know for sure BUT it seems Water Temp are driving the the delay. We saw huge catches at the Highway today. Which usually means more fish streaming into the inshore spots Ferrer & Bajo soon. Biggest Chinook today 31lb caught on they "T" Highway, Yesterday 34lb at Salty PT.
Looks like the FISH ARE BACK EVERYWHERE!! Life/ fishing is good!!

Hi fishers. Talk with the head person of DFO Science for WCVI recently & combine with the Area "F "troll DNA report it is presumed that the Conuma run HAS Well as many other runs are LATE this year. Why ?? Who know for sure BUT it seems Water Temp are driving the the delay. We saw huge catches at the Highway today. Which usually means more fish streaming into the inshore spots Ferrer & Bajo soon. Biggest Chinook today 31lb caught on they "T" Highway, Yesterday 34lb at Salty PT.
Looks like the FISH ARE BACK EVERYWHERE!! Life/ fishing is good!!
See you Sunday afternoon John,keep them biting!!!!! Also let .Kathy know sometime around 1 PM for us.John is leaving early Sunday I think.

Just got back from Nootka, fished Tuesday to Friday, it was slow for us, smaller fish in general, largest to the boat was 19lbs. Rained hard on Wednesday, hottest areas were Camel rock to Galiano Bay with some fish taken from Hoiss to Coopte Point at the mouth of Tahsis Inlet. Looks like nicer weather now so hopefully the bite picks up.

Another over the top fishing day on the highway. Not may fish over 30lbs. But lots of Chinooks & Coho. White hoochies with false flasher( never thought I'd Like Falsies) & 6in glow spoons won the day with NO flashers. Limits for most boats with hali after salmon catching right in the the same area. Waters off shore will remain calm at least for a couple of days. So Go out there when its this GOOD! Lots of hatchery marked fish still coming in. Thank You USA!!! Check out http://www.youfish.tv/nootka-sound-esperanza-fishing-report-july-25-2014_b437df037.html

Thanks for the report John. I have not seem a fish on the Bajo Hwy this week. The reef was slow for the last four days as well. We had a bloom the could be the problem. Today things picked up in Nootka and looks like it will continue to get better now that we had our slow period. Inside has been good today with some good bites at Camel and the Wall.

It was a great day for bottom fishing as there was not a breath of wind offshore.

I'm surprised by the number of reports saying it was slow. We got back Wednesday and just killed it on the inside at Nootka. It seems to me there are tons of fish but just have to be in the right spot at the right time. Fish seem to be smaller, similar to last year but more plentiful.

More specifics on our trip. Fished the 19th and Burdwood and caught 10 but only kept 5 in the high teens low 20's. Tons of shakers and jacks forced us to go to hardware. Same spot on Sunday a little slower taking home five. Fished the inside of the light house on Monday and got shut out. Fished camel rock that night and lost one to a seal too. Next morning the backside of Camel rock had a serious bite. Saw at least five doubles within a couple of minutes around 12:30 that afternoon. It was ridiculous, but so were the number of boats. We finished out our limit with a three more in the teens. All in all we had to fight to find fish over 20, but came home with 12 fish between 16-25. Pearl white glow needle hootchie with a red racer flasher out fished all other gear. A herring with UV helmet and no flasher was next. All fish caught in the 40-50' range. Great trip!

After returning from our 3rd trip to Esperanza with limits of 15-25 pounders for 4 of us, we are also wondering where the big ones are. The inlet and mouth of the inlet was again very disappointing 3 trips in a row with us catching only a couple per trip and seeing maybe one out of 10 boats catch one per morning. Not even remotely close to last year. We had no trouble at all getting our limits just inside the surf line each day of unders and overs. We noticed at least 90% of the springs in our 3 trips were females and thought that was odd. Only caught 2 coho so far this year which seems consistant with everyone elses reports. As of tuesday that brutal dark brown algae bloom was still present even when we ventured 14 miles offshore trying to escape it. Didn't try for salmon out there but got a few halibut finally. Anyone else we talked to got pretty much skunked offshore on the highway or at the T recently and it seems everyone is blaming that terrible algae bloom, hopefully that clears up really soon......

We fished Nootka Fri,Sat,Sun. It was slow for us, Got a couple springs inside. Went to bajo and got a halibut and a couple nice lings, one weighed in at 26 pounds. Water was cloudy outside saw no springs caught out there. Sunday it started to turn on inside with most fish we saw being caught on glow lures. If your heading out this week it should only get better. Great trip all together though and look forward to next year.

Hi
Just got back yesterday after three days of tough fishing. I concur with codfather, we were at reef and never picked up one fish although the sounder showed tons. The water was terrible, we tried everything in box but no bites. We did better at ferrier and in thasis inlet. Biggest was 21lb, many rods we spoke to said same that it was slow. It looked as if fishing was picking up yesterday morning as we were leaving critter as we saw lots of hook ups on our way out.
Back again Thurs for seven day trip.

Back