new scotty downriggers

speydog

Any update on the high speed riggers. Have heard of battery draining issues, for single battery boats.

Larger boats, dual batteries, any issues?

Can you inline a third battery, for riggers only?

I run them and love them actually just bought another yesterday, not sure of any battery issues, jees there only on for about 30 seconds a toss from 150-160 feet, I do have dual batteries on a switch but have never needed to switch it over and have used them for hours of trolling.
but yes I do love them, did I mention I love them.:D

I run them and love them actually just bought another yesterday, not sure of any battery issues, jees there only on for about 30 seconds a toss from 150-160 feet, I do have dual batteries on a switch but have never needed to switch it over and have used them for hours of trolling.
but yes I do love them, did I mention I love them.:D

Quit beating around the bush, tell us how you really feel about them. LOL

Don't have em'.....but have used them a half dozen times this season and they are outstanding!!

from the Scotty website

"For all High Performance Downriggers, the digital line counter is warranted for a period of two years. The warranty period commences upon the date the downrigger is purchased and terminates on the transfer of the product from the original purchaser, or on the death of the original purchaser, whichever comes first."

Cheers All,

I talked to Scotty and they 'guestimate' the life of the electric counter will be +/- 4 years with a replacement setting you back about $40.00. The counter has a sealed battery inside which is what will go and require the replacement.

I also talked to Scotty and they would be willing to do a group purchase on the replacement counters ... so was thinking of purchasing about 100 or so and then could re-sell them at cost...but that would be about 3 + years down the road.

Been using them since spring and think they are very good. I use a 13# ball. No issue with battery but we have a 45 minute run both ways and the kicker puts out too. I am aware of one issue that Scotty has a simple fix for but I have not done it yet. One of the riggers goes down to about 100 feet then it starts to slow down. I fish at 180 – 200 so it takes a while. Doesn’t happen every time but I need to get it fixed. I wasn’t sure if it was either riggers or just one so I marked the rigger with some tape and yup, it’s just one. I also think the rod holders are the best ones they have made yet.
GLG

No-its moulded into the cover now

The new covers dont pivot up now Holmes, they have a slide type lock on either side and when released the whole cover lifts right off.
theres a video review of them on the salt patrol site here, check it out they are pretty cool
http://www.saltpatrol.com/videos

ya I caught those too cant see it lasting 7-10 years, it never shuts off!.
and yes the cover seems easier to loose now, a tether would be a good idea
thanks Holmes. the speed is a definate factor if your fishing by yourself, one less thing to wait on.
Tim

I am aware of one issue that Scotty has a simple fix for but I have not done it yet. One of the riggers goes down to about 100 feet then it starts to slow down. GLG

Hey GLG
whats the fix I can't seem to find any mention of it anywhere, would be nice to know should it happen to me
Thanks Tim

Hey GLG
whats the fix I can't seem to find any mention of it anywhere, would be nice to know should it happen to me
Thanks Tim
I don't know what the fix is, just been told that it's simple.
I tried to adjust the drag on the brake and that did not work.
Will post when I get the "simple fix"
GLG

wonder why the digital counter runs off its own internal battery tho, why doesnt it just run off of the power that runs the riggers motor:confused:...if you have no power to the rigger why would you need power for the counter to know what depth the rigger is at?, for manual operation?..dont make much sense, also, do you have to run the digi counter or can u swap in an old counter?...holmes*

My guess is that you would need an expensive power supply so that the low grade dirty power being provided by the motors would not toast the chips in the counter. Worth it in more expensive electronic components like GPS, Radar, VHF etc. to provide clean power to protect them but not for a cheap counter worth a few bucks.

The question for me is why can’t you swap out the battery rather than replace the whole counter? The only thing I can think of is by sealing it in the unit you decrease corrosion related reliability problems and Scotty will likely make a few dollars on mark up for new counter/battery units.

I am very happy with the High Speed Units but you need to be a lot more careful with them. With the old units if you make a mistake and ram the terminal gear up into the pulley generally things will bounce around but you will usually not drop the ball and terminal gear. With the high power/speed unit it will all break off and drop in the water. Be very careful pressing that little button when the ball is close to the top.

you can bet when mine die I will be doing some surgery,
nothing to lose might as well try
Tim

Just throwing my two bits in, I bought one back in May and run it on my port side. Great machine, I love it. Only issue I've had so far is that if for whatever reason you miss your stop switch and it keeps pulling up, the new riggers pull so hard they snap the 250Lb scotty braid instead of just turning off. Has happened 2x to me now so make sure they never get past the stops and put the stops a ways before you need it to stop cause it takes half a spin to stop.
Repeating that - make sure your cannon ball never hits the arm at full speed the rigger WILL snap your scotty 250lb braided line very quickly and very easily.

On the bright side, no matter how fast I reel even with my MR3's I still can't beat it to the surface with a 15lber on it.
The counters are a thing of beauty and the reset for the counter if the line gets off....ooooh I love that!
The other day I got my downriggers tangled in some nasty tide rip and the old one was cut off. I thought I had lost my starboard cannon ball, but when my port side rigger (new one) hit the surface guess what? Two 15lber's all tangled together! Brilliant!

not sure, might be worth looking into,
hey holmes how heavy are ya??:p
I'll lower ya down and you grab some fish:D

Back