New Mooching Reel, shimano or diawa?

Islander...Trophy...Islander ....Trophy. I hate making decisions when it comes to my hobbies.

quote:Originally posted by rb7

Islander...Trophy...Islander ....Trophy. I hate making decisions when it comes to my hobbies.
To heck with it. mind made up. Trophy joins my clan! :D

I found this. I don't know if the sale is still on but if it is, the prices look pretty good.

Trophy XL “Tyee” anodized machined, cap = 25#/350yds 4 stainless ball bearings! Reg: $ 339.99 SUPER SALE: $ 199.99

Trophy XL QR 4.5 lg. arbor anodized, machined cap= 25# 350 yds SALE: Reg: $ 429.99 SUPER SALE: $ 249.99

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/file/080704-4.DOC

DSCN4812-2-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Slabby20

I found this. I don't know if the sale is still on but if it is, the prices look pretty good.

Trophy XL “Tyee” anodized machined, cap = 25#/350yds 4 stainless ball bearings! Reg: $ 339.99 SUPER SALE: $ 199.99

Trophy XL QR 4.5 lg. arbor anodized, machined cap= 25# 350 yds SALE: Reg: $ 429.99 SUPER SALE: $ 249.99

DSCN4812-2-1.jpg
thanks,i'll be chcking them out tommorrow. :)

Thats the one i have been running very good!!!!

quote:Trophy XL QR 4.5 lg. arbor anodized, machined cap= 25# 350 yds SALE: Reg: $ 429.99 SUPER SALE: $ 249.99
BTW that is one hell of a price considering a 4000 is close to a 100

I can say for the last 20 years plus I have been guiding I have had only one fish spool me and I am sure it was a hali up in Thompson sound as it never stopped but a salmon no when you are in 100 ft of water and you got 900 ft of line where is it going??????if it keeps on going then as you said Tom I call guide error on that!!!!

With the drags that these reels have and if you hold it tight that thing has to tire it would be like you carring a pack which weighs a 100lbs a you may go hard and fast for a bit but you are going to get tired quickly same thing

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

quote:Originally posted by chris73

YHBT by rb7.
Dude,if you don't have anything to input into a post,why the heck do you even stick your nose in? I'm not inteferring or changes the subject matter in this post,only asking and giving legit posts to gain some knowledge about which reel to buy so why not let me find out without trying to stir me up?
thanks.

quote:Originally posted by wolf

Thats the one i have been running very good!!!!

quote:Trophy XL QR 4.5 lg. arbor anodized, machined cap= 25# 350 yds SALE: Reg: $ 429.99 SUPER SALE: $ 249.99
BTW that is one hell of a price considering a 4000 is close to a 100

I can say for the last 20 years plus I have been guiding I have had only one fish spool me and I am sure it was a hali up in Thompson sound as it never stopped but a salmon no when you are in 100 ft of water and you got 900 ft of line where is it going??????if it keeps on going then as you said Tom I call guide error on that!!!!

With the drags that these reels have and if you hold it tight that thing has to tire it would be like you carring a pack which weighs a 100lbs a you may go hard and fast for a bit but you are going to get tired quickly same thing

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com
Thank you for your input Wolf.I know it makes no difference to the fish but I also like the look of the Trophy reels compared to the other.

Posted - 01/04/2009 : 18:44:24
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Slabby, those are good prices! I couldn't open the link though. Can you tell me what shop this was for? I will be over in the LML in a week and wouldn't mind picking one up, if possible.

Thanks,
George

Seafood, eat it, then catch more.

Okay... not sure I want to go here, but got to ask? Why do you guys prefer these “knuckle buster” reels over level winds?

They are more challenging and you feel the fight more with the single action. Level winds are ok when you have people who havent fished much as they can just crank em in. Personal preferance i guess

its more of an actual fight and sport of having to play and overcome the fish to get it in, wit those level winds all you have to do is reel up and the drag will just let line out when needed, not to challenging

For me it's the one on one action between you and the fish.

Okay, I have to admit I have never fished with an Islander or Trophy, but I have done a lot of fly fishing. Weren’t these reels basically designed for fly fishing and then adapted for mooching? Also, didn’t Islander modify the MR2 to free spool to be used on a downrigger?

I concede someone who has never played a large salmon usually cranks the reel away when the fish first starts its run! I usually have to tell them they aren’t going to stop it and to just let the fish run and keep the rod tip up! Most learn with the first fish and when that happens, I just smile to myself. But, isn’t the only difference between the two is that the knobs turn on the single action? Hence the term knuckle buster? Both still have drag systems?

I guess one of you guys is going to have to invite me to go fishing so I know what I have been missing all these years! :)

Back