New Mooching Reel, shimano or diawa?

The Trophy reels seem really true competitors for the MR's. Unfortunately the store told me that you cannot convert them into left-hand cranking like the MR3 can. Or has anyone done this?

Islanders are nice. I have a whole collection of various reels. My saltwater boat though is outfitted with entirely Fenwick HMX rods and Shimano reels. Much nicer just to go and not have to worry about scratching the pretty gold anodize off of a $700.00 reel. I guided for years with the Shimano reels and they are easily replaced if **** hits the fan.

quote:Originally posted by chris73

The Trophy reels seem really true competitors for the MR's. Unfortunately the store told me that you cannot convert them into left-hand cranking like the MR3 can. Or has anyone done this?
I'm not sure but since it's the BC wholesaler Redl Sports who's had them manufactured in Korea and sold here they should know.

http://www.redlsports.com/

Redl Sports Distributors
7590 Conrad Street
Burnaby British Columbia
Canada V5A 2H7

Phone: 604-420-2323
Fax: 604-420-8176
Email: sales@redlsports.com
Sales desk fax: 604-420-2328

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

The contact at Redls is Robbie Nicholls - he developed the prototype and had it manufactured. He may be a great contact on how to do a conversion to left hand drive.:)

If you are doing a lot of guiding, the Islanders are a god send because you don't have to worry about guest getting birds nests when they forget to palm the reel. The investment is worth it when you see a guest snap off the fish of their life time due to a birds nest when using the Shimano's. [xx(]

Get an Islander. Don't kid yourself, they are much better.....but that does come with a price. I've been using Islanders with mimimal service for at least 10 years. The same two reels have been fabulous and the line capacity is terrific, at least 500 yards if you fill up the spools corredtly, and, the drags are so much better than the others, plus it's a local maunfacturer as well. Why not help the locals over the foreigners, especially in this economy? It's a slam dunk in my opinion.

Who needs 500 yds of line???? LOL do you have that big of fish off the waterfront Porcupine I guess if your chasing seals LOL.
Yes the islander is a nice reel I just cant justify it at that price it is way too expensive if you find one for a great price then go for it but I got the pair of trophies for almost the price of 1 islander and I have used both before and think FOR the price the trophy is very good and has got many a fish on them.

I put 100 yds of backing on it and then it takes 300 yds of line with no problem. and I find the drag better than an islander as the cork on them is way bigger and seem to hold better as in the past I have had the islander "creep" on me one thing I really wished is if the Islander had a louder clicker.

Again just my comments I like them and think they are a a great company.

Good Luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Wolf, your not kidding about that Islander "creep" Drove me nuts hearing the occasional clink while trolling. Seemed like every few minuutes the drag had to be be tightened down . Still a very nice reel but I'd rather keep those for myself and run a knockoff for guests. The trophies are a good looking deal. Price is right for sure. Redl sure is coming to the forefront in cost effective alternatives.

hey, this coming from a lefty. you cant switched either the MR2s or the Trophy reels. Although, you can switch the MR3s. It would be nice if you could switch the trophys but hey they havnt come up with it yet.

"A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work"

sorry, spellin mistake, you CAN NOT switch the reels to lefty only the MR3

"A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work"

HEY boy a true sportsman can adjust LOL You seemed to do ok last summer beside me fishing;););)
Yes highlights totally hear what your saying and with almost no noise from the drag a wack of line can go out before you notice it.
But again for the price you pay for one why dont they fix that????

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Guess I'm getting old, I like my Penns. Good for Salmon and Halibut.

peenreel-251-550.jpg

Take only what you need.

Cracks me up when a guest says he is left or right handed. I always ask how many times a year they get out. The number always seems to be "a few". I figured at that rate it shouldn't much matter what side reel I give them. Unless I am casting a fly ( and prefer a left loaded reel)or working a level wind then switching up to either side should be a given when it comes to a mooching reel . Grab it and start reeling is what I always say. LOL I guess everyone has their preferance though.

Wolf wrote: Who needs 500 yds of line???? LOL do you have that big of fish off the waterfront Porcupine I guess if your chasing seals LOL.

I knew a guide off the waterfront who had a fully loaded Islander MR2 spooled on him by a big spring! He was on his cell phone in the wheel house of his 30 ft Bertram talking business while his guest told him the fish was taking out a lot of line. He just did not believe it until he got out of the cabin, picked up the rod and saw the line break at the spool! LOL

I did hook a BIG hali on the Oak Bay Flats that was running fast with the current. It ran between a guide boat's downriggers and broke me off. Had to put 300 yards of new line on the reel that afternoon. Fortunately, I was still able to keep fishing as I still had 200 yards left on the reel. That's one reason I like the big capacity.

I do have a Penn International #20 which holds more line, but it just doesn't fit well on a mooching reel.

quote:Wolf wrote: Who needs 500 yds of line????

I got spooled out of 300+ yrds up in Telegraph Cove, my lure never even hit the bottom, I had to check the depth sounder after half my spool was gone, it was only 180 ft, and I had out about 450-500 ft!!, when I tried to tighten down the drag a bit, the rod just bent over and it kept pulling, I couldn't even turn the boat in time to chase after it, (well I should say my partner couldn't). It was much like hooking on to a Buick, which I had the luck of doing once on the Craigflower Bridge!!

Take only what you need.

quote:Originally posted by Slabby20

Is this the Trophy Reel you're talking about??

Trophy FB-5
fb5-1.jpg

Slabby
That is a nice looking unit! how much for one? I went on Trophy web site but no prices are indicated. thanks.

I beleive that is a fly series reel. The mooching reel has got a black plastic handles and has not got a machined spool like that one. I'll see if I can find a link.

thanks,highlights. I'm using Shimano 4000 now but would like to get a Trophy to add. :)

Back