New Mooching Reel, shimano or diawa?

nedarb2

went and did some reel shopping today, and i think unless i hear any objections ove decided on either the shimano 2000 or 4000gt, or the diawa m-one.
What are the differences between the 2000 and 4000 gt, and how does the diawa compare to these two?
Im leaning towards the diawa right now, i have a shimano 2000 but im not overly impressed by it... mind you it needs a good cleaning internally.

Shimano 4000gt has never failed me.. but I maintain them regularly. Easy to get spare parts when someone stepped on one on the boat and cracked the spool .. deep blue out of surry had a spare spool at my door in 2 days and was reasonable on shipping.

I fished Daiwa M-1's for years and have since switched to the Shimano 2000 simply because the drag adjusting knob is shaped better for grip and the drag system is far more adjustable than the newer Daiwa's , I bought a Daiwa M-1 Plus and the drag was lousy , could not set it consistently so it was retired to look at me and remind that it was a piece of **** !

AL

Alley cats dead on. I have an m-1 and its served me well with no maitenence ive hammered it for 4 seasons but it really is a crappy reel. Im gonna go grab a couple of shimanos as they are much better reels smoothers drags and easier to use. I want a islander, trophy ect but not in the cards

aha so shimano it is, thanks guys. any noticeable difference between the 2000 and 4000?

Go with the Shimano. Much better reel than the Diawa in my opinion. The Shimano drag is much better than the crappy Diawa drag. I have never used the 4000GT. I have 2000GT's.

DSCN4812-2-1.jpg

For the extra money go with the 4000 as they are waterproof and the drag lasts way longer when i used to use them for guiding the 4000 would way out last the 2000 for drag.

But I will tell you as they hold a ton of line on them to put dacron on first for backing about a 100 yds then put your mono on. if you put just mono on for one its a waste but more importantly the dacron is a cushion as we have had several of them split in half from the strech from the mono since we put backing on no problem they are a great reel and very tough.

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

quote:Originally posted by searun

Get an Islander.......you will never go back.

for the same price as an islander, you can buy 4- Shimano's !
sorry but after using both, they are just not worth that much $$$
in my opinion.

Hey Craven... that's what everyone without an Islander says LOL!

There's a difference and it is worth it. IMHO.
Shimano over Diawa but Islander trumps them all!

Tips

Very hard to justify the cost when you are retired and on a fixed income , I would also suspect that nedarb2 being a younger person does not have the cash to throw around on luxury items , for those of you that can afford it good on you but the Shimanos will do the job.

AL

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Like i said, just my opinion :D

It is kind of interesting reading the different opinions!

I have not owned a Diawa for over 30 years, so I really can’t comment on how they perform now days. I currently have two Shimano’s and three Penn’s. All good reels and don't think you could go wrong buying either.

But my favorite and “go to reel” is a Penn 325 GTi! It’s like a Timex… It keeps taken a beaten and just keeps on tick’n! I have had it for over 20 years! Most people that touch this setup ends up buying one like it!

I have 2, 30 year old diawa's, all black in colour. These reels were
used at a fishing lodge in River's Inlet before I got them. These reels have caught hundreds of fish each, I finally serviced the drags
for the first time last year. They have never given me any trouble.
perhaps like most things in life... they just don't make them like they used to! Having said that, I am finally poised to buy my first
Islander MR3. Can't wait.

For the last 2 years i have used the Trophy reels the bigger ones like an islander mr3 (knockoff) and must admit very impressed with them had to service them only 2 times and that was adding oil to the cork. I cant imagine how many times they were up and down on the downrigger and playing fish but it was a heck of alot. and best part half the price of an islander.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

I have both the MR-2's and MR-3's on my boat. They are simply the best, but like any reel you have to service the corks regularly with a little oil - especially if you catch a lot of fish. I can understand guys not wanting to spend the cash to get them - it is a major investment. There are a few good knock offs on the market. I've test fished them all and none have compared to the islanders yet. I'm going to test fish a prototype for Normark this season - its about the best I've seen, but it will still need a few changes to perfect it. The biggest flaw most of the knock offs seem to have is they are heavy and the drag's never seem to stand up over time and lots of large fish.

i have the same reels wolf.have had some problems with one wanting to jam up any suggestions.Am i not oiling often enough thanks for any tips

Well the drag on them just oil them at the beginning of the season And then i redo them haveway through OR after a good rain as it seems to effect any reel with a cork in them as I think it has to do with the moisture in the air.
But must say I am really impressed with them with the heavy amount of use they have endured.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Back