New Mooching Reel, shimano or diawa?

they still have drag systems, but imo its set loose enough so that you have to use your palm as an extra brake to slow the fish and control its runs.

Charlie if we get any fish this summer I will take you out and let you use my Islanders or if you would like to try blackmouth just let me know.
Jack

I had never used a "knucklebuster" until about 20 years ago when my dad and I made our 1st trip to Bamfield. We fished with a guide and he insisted we use his gear. My dad was a very stubborn man and insisted right back that he would only use his own Ambassador reel or he wasn't fishing. He got his way and never tried the single action knucklebuster (his mistake). I used the guides gear and had a blast with it and I'v never used a level wind for springs or Coho since. Charlie, try one on a nice 10'6" rod and you'll love it. You don't know what you're missing.

Has anyone checked with Berry's Bait to see if that sale on the Trophy Reels was still on??

DSCN4812-2-1.jpg

Haha Slabby where was that at, I remeber a similar story with some guests of mine about 20 yrs ago in Bamfield. A father and son too.

My best guiding story of a single action has to be when this guest of mine.. Brian.. tried to stop a 38 pound spring at full run, he actually tried to clamp his hand over the handles and they both went shooting about 20 ft from the boat, I think he busted a finger along with some nice gashes. And to top it all off I got to play the lunker out with my hands!

IMHO I prefer level winds now, When the fish runs towards you with a single action you gotta reel like a madman, and more often then not that is a great way to loose a fish. I'm done with looseing fish that way, thats the only reason I don't use them anymore.

Take only what you need.

quote:Originally posted by catfisher2

Charlie if we get any fish this summer I will take you out and let you use my Islanders or if you would like to try blackmouth just let me know.
Jack

Okay... you're on! I was going to go out today, but went down to the boat and said the *ell with it! I'll try your Islander's, if you try my 320GTi's? I am off on Tuesday's and Wednesday's... let me know!

when the weather mellows and area 11 opens up your on.
jack

when the weather mellows and area 11 opens up your on.
jack

So, I am planning on going fishing with you on Feb 18th, right? Your boat or mine?

I hope one of these days they'll come up with a knuclebuster with a 6:1 retrieval rate.
I better patent this in the morning!
:D:D
cheers

JUST FISHEN'

Charlie
feb 18 it is and we'll use my boat.
jack

Got it... you are using my 320GTi... and I am using your Islander! I am in G8 @ Ole & Charlie's... I'll be on the boat, just come down and wake me up, if I don't show up at your slip! :)

quote:Originally posted by The Fish Assassin

Haha Slabby where was that at, I remeber a similar story with some guests of mine about 20 yrs ago in Bamfield. A father and son too.

We were staying at the Bamfield Inn and I'm pretty sure the guides name was Charlie.

DSCN4812-2-1.jpg

Originally posted by Gypseas

I hope one of these days they'll come up with a knuclebuster with a 6:1 retrieval rate.
cheers

JUST FISHEN'
[/quote

Back in the day and directly from a flyfishing descent, single action drum reels were offered with specific ratios. Otherwise known as "multipliers". .... so Gypseas, don't know about that patent idea LOL. Hey by the way that probably was me going through Colwood a few weeks ago. Just got her back from Sherwood for winterizing.

For those of you with questions about mooching reels, fly reels and all other single action drum reels:

Hey by the way not all drum reels are created equally. Some are purely clicker type and others have great drags. With some , as you tighten down on the drag the retreive also becomes more difficult. Others are always easy to turn over yet take much more strength for the fish to pull line out.

The thrill of a single action drum reel or any centre pin for that matter is the extremes endured during the "fight" It is very much an "on /off" experience. The fish runs and you must let it go while holding your rod tip up. Allow the rod to do the work. It acts as a shock absorber. As the run and head shakes subside, reel down and then hold the spool with either the bottom few fingers of the hand holding the rod ( just under the reel seat) or use your opposite hand to "palm" the underside of the reel itself.Pull up on the rod and then reel in the line you have just gained as you lower your rod to "pump" again. You must lower your rod but not more quickly than the line you are retriving . You always want to reel in as you are dropping your rod. You must do this to ensure adequate tension on the fish. Never just aimlessly "crank" in the weight of the fish.Doing so will result in alot of snapped off fish. If you are not reeling , your hands are off the handles just incase the fish bolts. This is what seperates the experience between the two reel types. In addition,suddenly and most oftenly the fish charges at the boat. You had better reel like you never reeled before or enough slack will get in the line and the fish will throw the hook. With several hundred yards of line out after an initial run this high speed retrieve will make your arms burn to the point of tears. An experienced guide on the Helm and an ardent angler will do what it takes to keep enough tension on the fish. When that fish turns and runs, it's hands of the handles ( to palm again ) or it's a broken line or broken knuckles. Theres nothing like it!
The level wind involves none of this to the inexperienced angler. They are very forgiving between the extremes that the fish doles out. I do still have many level wind reels for use in the drift boat while I am steelheading. This is because of the constant casting and retreiving. A centre pin becomes old when you are trying to locate the fish and speed is imperative between casts. Even then though when a fish is hooked I usually have the drag turned right off and I use my casting thumb to provide the tension on the spool as the lines pays out after a running fish.
Just preferance I guess.

PS, not directed at anyone other than the few with the questions. Hope it helps:)

Originally posted by Gypseas

cheers

JUST FISHEN'
[/quote

Back in the day and directly from a flyfishing descent, single action drum reels were offered with specific ratios. Otherwise known as "multipliers". .... so Gypseas, don't know about that patent idea LOL. Hey by the way that probably was me going through Colwood a few weeks ago. Just got her back from Sherwood for winterizing.

For those of you with questions about mooching reels, fly reels and all other single action drum reels:

Hey by the way not all drum reels are created equally. Some are purely clicker type and others have great drags. With some , as you tighten down on the drag the retreive also becomes more difficult. Others are always easy to turn over yet take much more strength for the fish to pull line out.

The thrill of a single action drum reel or any centre pin for that matter is the extremes endured during the "fight" It is very much an "on /off" experience. The fish runs and you must let it go while holding your rod tip up. Allow the rod to do the work. It acts as a shock absorber. As the run and head shakes subside, reel down and then hold the spool with either the bottom few fingers of the hand holding the rod ( just under the reel seat) or use your opposite hand to "palm" the underside of the reel itself.Pull up on the rod and then reel in the line you have just gained as you lower your rod to "pump" again. You must lower your rod but not more quickly than the line you are retriving . You always want to reel in as you are dropping your rod. You must do this to ensure adequate tension on the fish. Never just aimlessly "crank" in the weight of the fish.Doing so will result in alot of snapped off fish. If you are not reeling , your hands are off the handles just incase the fish bolts. This is what seperates the experience between the two reel types. In addition,suddenly and most oftenly the fish charges at the boat. You had better reel like you never reeled before or enough slack will get in the line and the fish will throw the hook. With several hundred yards of line out after an initial run this high speed retrieve will make your arms burn to the point of tears. An experienced guide on the Helm and an ardent angler will do what it takes to keep enough tension on the fish. When that fish turns and runs, it's hands of the handles ( to palm again ) or it's a broken line or broken knuckles. Theres nothing like it!
The level wind involves none of this to the inexperienced angler. They are very forgiving between the extremes that the fish doles out. I do still have many level wind reels for use in the drift boat while I am steelheading. This is because of the constant casting and retreiving. A centre pin becomes old when you are trying to locate the fish and speed is imperative between casts. Even then though when a fish is hooked I usually have the drag turned right off and I use my casting thumb to provide the tension on the spool as the lines pays out after a running fish.
Just preferance I guess.

PS, not directed at anyone other than the few with the questions. Hope it helps:)

Back