New Kicker Options

That new Suzuki 9.9 EFI is tough to beat. I just put one on my new to me Seasport. I’ve been through T8’s and Honda BF15’s...all good kickers but they’re a bit fussy—-I had fuel pump issues with the T8 (and it didn’t have through-the-cowl pullstart!) and the Honda had fussy carb jets—-if you didn’t drain the carb religiously you were begging for fuel issues ....

The Suzuki has that EFI—-hopefully I’ll side-step carb issues because there ain’t one....and of course, the 9.9 is built on a head that can be retrofitted to a DF15 or a DF20...nice option if you need more ponies....that mod really seems to work—-just remove the restrictor plate and you’re off to the races.

Plus, it’s a snazzy looking kicker and approx. $1,000 cheaper then a Honda

IMG_20200920_123837.jpg

The dealer I bought my boat off of deals in mercury so of course I went with the 15 hp mercury pro kicker. So far seems a nice little motor. They are EFI which is nice, sure starts nice. One thing I like about the mercury pro kickers is they run a 12 amp alternator. I’m not sure what Sazuki runs but I know Yamaha runs a 6 amp. Sure is nice knowing you have that extra amperage in your system especially this day and age with all the electronics we run out there.

I did run a 9.9 Sazuki badged Johnson on my 2006 Lund. That little engine had a whack of hours on it. Again,, had that boat for 13 seasons and did a lot I mean a lot of trolling with it and that little kicker never ever let me down. Always started well, never quit, never leaked a drop out of it, it was a sound little machine. I think I changed the plugs in it twice in all that time lol. Darn well built assembly as well.

She was as tight the day I sold it as the day I bought it, this is how it looked after 13 years when I put it for sale.
50426071571_5f159227cb_z.jpg

Like Gong Show said, you don't need power tilt until you've had it, then you gotta have it.
Any of the big Brands will be good motors. Most important is purchasing from someone you trust and like to deal with.
I am a fan of Sherwood Marine based on my recent repower and other services over the last couple of years. But you may have someone closer to you that you like as you are further North.
Get separate controls an no tiller. For a kicker that is the way to go and less issues to deal with. (not sure if that is possible with your inboard)
Maybe you need new boat all together SV. May be cheaper in long run if you are going to pod and repower both motors.

If I re-power and pod I will have brand new motors/reliability which is what I am after. I am starting to fish remote areas more, and reliability is big thing.

I really floated idea of replacing inboard motor, and just selling it many times. The problem is even if I sell there is a lot of overpriced crap out there in price range I can afford. So in this case I keep my boat put new motors that I know history of, and wait for a few years till I am totally ready to do major upgrade. The Malibu is a great middle range boat that doesn't require a larger truck, and makes longer towing distances a snap. I am not an offshore fishing guy, so this boat can do almost everything I need right now.

Anyhow derail.... I am shopping around kicker now.

Last edited:
By the time you pod it, buy a new 150 hp and a 9.9 hp
you will be in the $25-30K range.
You have to like your boat( alot) and intend to keep it to make this pay off...
just my opinon

Last edited:
By the time you pod it, buy a new 150 hp and a 9.9 hp
you will be in the $25-30K range.
You have to like your boat( alot) and intend to keep it to make this pay off...
just my opinon

I weighed that out and moving forward. BTW fishing and boating really aren't a money making investment. I think we all know that.

I haven't pulled trigger on kicker yet. Still looking right now. I may sell the one I have as parts motor.

Last edited:
The issue with remote option is that I don't have hydraulic steering in inboard right now. Have the ez steer system with cable steering main.

Last edited:
So, two new motors and a steering system, check.
Almost off season here, so time to spend some of your hard earned filthy lucre.

I've been extremely happy with the tohatsu engines as a dealer. They shaved weight on the EFI models. The carb days are completely over. No warranty issues. Had zero problems. I my self and several guides who are clients have had zero issues as well. If I order parts they come in one day. Cant say that about any other OEM product in the entire marine industry when I comes to marine engines.

If anyone on here wants to know more or to see one in action, PM me and well get you sorted. Happy fishing

I had Yamaha outboards for 22 years and no complaints, but with the new to me boat had to power it and found a low hour Suzuki DF250 and then bought a new DF9.9 BTX with controls and couldn’t be happier
For it’s first season, quiet and reliable

The 20HP is the same motor as the 9.9 and 15...

9.9 and 20 come in extra long remote. 15 only comes in 15 and 20inch. For the money going from 9.9 to 20 it's a matter of 500 bucks. Pretty sweet

Also between suzuki and tohatsu.. both great. I would choose tohatsu based on parts availability. Best parts dept I've seen in the marine engine OEM network. Hands down

Hope this helps. If anyone needs any information on pricing PM me. I will be getting a stock order in mid november. Happy fishing !

The Yamaha gets my vote The T9 I have is 20 years old but about done.
I can pull the carb off clean it out and reinstall in about 15 minutes. I also carry a spare carb that takes about 5 minutes to switch out. Just two bolts I believe. If I had a fuel issue on a efi. Boat would need to get pulled out and off to a. Shop . My research also shows the Suzuki runs rougher is louder and has an issue maintaining throttle control

Carbs can be taken apart, soaked, blown out and put back on for the next trip...at home without a $120 an hr mechanic working on it. EFI? Don't think so. The problem isn't the fuel delivery method its the nature of how we put fuel into a boat and where we get the fuel from. Always going to be some contamination and it will effect both systems without good filters that are maintained.

9.9 and 20 come in extra long remote. 15 only comes in 15 and 20inch. For the money going from 9.9 to 20 it's a matter of 500 bucks. Pretty sweet

Also between suzuki and tohatsu.. both great. I would choose tohatsu based on parts availability. Best parts dept I've seen in the marine engine OEM network. Hands down

Hope this helps. If anyone needs any information on pricing PM me. I will be getting a stock order in mid november. Happy fishing !

Ship, where are you located?

Back