potential new boat purchase 2010 Glastron 249 GS

matt mcd

Hi all,
Looking at a 2010 Glastron 249 GS, has a 5.0L volvo GXi and Sx single prop leg.
wanna use as a pocket cruiser and eventually some fishing.
Being single engine im looking at kicker options mainly for emerg" get back to ramp" use not trolling
was thinking around 20hp , I understand thats big for a 4440lbs(dry) boat? but as mentioned if I need it i dont wanna be doing 2 knts into a tide with a head wind.
Im told i need a long leg(20") to achieve this, what speed could i expect(understand sea state and wind ,tides are huge factors) is 20hp big enough?
also then if i get into trolling would it go slow enough? I ve had Yamaha outboards in the past with good reliability.
Steering from tiller for simplicity?
the Ez steer bars sound problematic?
any general advice welcome thanks

A lot of guys [including me] have a Yamaha 9.9 high thrust on boats as large or larger/heavier than the Glastron. In my case, a 23 Hourston that weighs north of 6500 lbs. As recently as this summer, I had to travel 10+ miles on the kicker, which took about 2 hours - sometimes with the tide and sometimes against. I find that I get to hull speed long before I run out of throttle. Not convinced a 20 hp would add much speed.

An outboard in the 10 to 20 hp range would troll slow enough. If you go higher than 9.9, look for makes where the next size up is the same block [and therefore weight].

Most makers use same block for 8, 9.9 and 15 hp. Hull speed will max out whatever the kicker can deliver. If you get a 15 it might be a bit lower in its rpm range so not sucking fuel as badly as you limp home at 5-6 kn.

Back