New crab fisherman....... Don't have a clue. All help appreciated

I have 60 feet of lead line, a 2 pound ball on my trap , bait holders and cat food....... is there anywhere close to cow bay that i could set with my gear????

BTW i dont have a puller

-Fisherf

30-80 feet..... sandy/muddy bottom... use white meat such as chicken or turkey backs or pork necks.

Make sure it soaks for a tide change so that the crabs get pushed past it, they won't scurry far looking for the trap.

Try off the gas docks in Mill Bay... but be mindful of the thieves in the area.

My 0.02, Don't use chicken, use fish. I had a couple of traps in ganges on Wednesday, I loaded them up with everything out of my freezer, a salmon carcass(wired to the bottom of the trap will keep crabs interested in longer soaks, so you won't loose as many), a few pieces of Cod, scallops, prawns and chicken wings, when I came back 4 hours later, both traps had about a dozen KEEPER SIZED MALES, everything was gone, except for the chicken and prawns, they literally had 1 little mark, and that was all.

Also, Marinate your bait with Pro-cure, Smelly-Jelly, or other Sardine, herring, etc scents. even if you just toss them with some of that, it will bring crabs.

I use double braid nylon, not crab trap line, it's easier on the hands, I would get 75-100 ft of it, zap strap a couple of 1lb cannon balls to the bottom of your trap, and use a line weight, as shown, attach it as soon as the trap hits bottom. Use small Polyform buoys (scotchman) if you can, they are BY FAR the most visible.

Unless you want little annoying red rock crabs, set the traps in mud or sand. REMEMBER to let all females go, you can tell because they have a "mountain" instead of a "lighthouse" on their bottom side.

There is a pretty interesting book called (how to catch crabs) by Charlie White , well worth it , i agree salmon works much better then chicken. Make sure you get a crab gauge n goodluck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember not to put it in an area of quickly flowing tides, or on too much of a slope, or put in water at the limit of your rope. All of these will lose you your trap.

Thanks for all the help!! I bought 3 new traps and set them in cow bay. 5 dunges in total. 1 big one got away, 2 were too small and we had 2 really nice ones that we kept!!!! My baits were salmon chicken and cat food. Good for our first try.

Thanks for all the help!! I bought 3 new traps and set them in cow bay. 5 dunges in total. 1 big one got away, 2 were too small and we had 2 really nice ones that we kept!!!! My baits were salmon chicken and cat food. Good for our first try.

The advice will cost you one of the crabs!

Jokes...good work!

Interesting the different advice on Chicken and fish as bait. I always hated buying stuff for bait and preferred to use fish heads and guts but I had buddies swear by Chicken for Crab and Cat food for Prawn. I have actually come around after doing some trap by trap comparisons. No if I want to fill a trap it is chicken (plus some fish if I have it).

other crabbing stuff

Try to get your bait in the middle of the trap, never against a side (crabs will pick at it through mesh instead of entering), always make sure bait container cannot move and block doors, I like soft mesh bait containers so the crabs can tear at the bait, releasing more smell, but cannot actually get the bait out and carry it away.

And regarding depth..... the advice provided is good (30-60), but remember to experiment. My best crab spot is less than 10 feet deep.

just wanted to say thank-u for all the help cuz this is my school science project!!! and yes im a 11 year old who is adicted to fishing and figured out a way to crab for my project!!!!. the experaminent is witch bait in a trap will out fish the others.

If you're using floating poly line, tie a lead weight half way up the line so no floating line lies along the surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just wanted to say thank-u for all the help cuz this is my school science project!!! and yes im a 11 year old who is adicted to fishing and figured out a way to crab for my project!!!!. the experaminent is witch bait in a trap will out fish the others.

Are you going to fill us in on what bait works best?

Back