New Cannabis laws

Yeah, that's what I saw as a drug prosecutor.
When medical marijuana started being large scale and legit, the street price dropped.
Then when Washington State legalized or whatever, the street price really dropped.

Stuff is not hard to grow, just risk and reward.
Now that you can grow at home, I see the price just dropping further.

I asked my nephew about this and he says in his town, from friends 28grams (1 oz) cost $100.

Govt web site says $6.99 a gram for their cheapest.

That’s a little over $195 bucks.

Hmmm pretty obvious the black markets going to be happy.

They need a volume discount option.

I guess I will keep the lights on for now.

I'm interested to see whether this whole thing actually energizes the black market simply because the untaxed supply chain is so extremely well developed, and the perception of risk by customers has to be approaching zero.

This is not like the end of liquor prohibition where the product is bulky and heavy and the illegal supply chain has only been operating for a few years. This is the legalization of a very small, very concealable product with a black market so developed that it's been supplying millions of people for decades. The failure to have retail sales organized ahead of time just compounds the problem.

I'm really curious to see how this plays out. Total fumble on the play at both federal and provincial levels, that's for sure.

I disagree, my circle of family and friends for the most part have expressed in the run up to full legalization that they wouldn't be caught dead buying weed from a "guy" or visiting one of those 'fringe legal' stores. Personally, that is how I feel as well, as someone who just purchased some for the first time since highschool (over 20 years ago).

I don't think the government legalized it to squash the black market, but to take a piece of it.

Taking the time to research and having the trust that what I am buying is what I am getting is what gave me the confidence to make the purchase. I had no desire or motivation to delve into cannabis on the black or grey market.

Moral of the story, I think there are a LOT of Canadians like me that are only really wanting to dip our toes into this world knowing it is legal and not part of the underground economy. The byproduct is a new source of revenue for the government.

Also, I think the government taking it slow and not opening a whole bunch of bricks and mortar is also a smart move. Gauging the level of demand for the products before spending a ton of money on physical retail is just being prudent. In case you haven't been watching to what is happening to bricks and mortar retail recently...

Also, I preferred to order it online and will likely never visit a store even if they open one close to me.

I disagree, my circle of family and friends for the most part have expressed in the run up to full legalization that they wouldn't be caught dead buying weed from a "guy" or visiting one of those 'fringe legal' stores. Personally, that is how I feel as well, as someone who just purchased some for the first time since highschool (over 20 years ago).

I don't think the government legalized it to squash the black market, but to take a piece of it.

Taking the time to research and having the trust that what I am buying is what I am getting is what gave me the confidence to make the purchase. I had no desire or motivation to delve into cannabis on the black or grey market.

Moral of the story, I think there are a LOT of Canadians like me that are only really wanting to dip our toes into this world knowing it is legal and not part of the underground economy. The byproduct is a new source of revenue for the government.

Also, I think the government taking it slow and not opening a whole bunch of bricks and mortar is also a smart move. Gauging the level of demand for the products before spending a ton of money on physical retail is just being prudent. In case you haven't been watching to what is happening to bricks and mortar retail recently...

Also, I preferred to order it online and will likely never visit a store even if they open one close to me.

My thoughts exactly. Easy to cut and run and turn it over to private sellers if demand is low. Just as easy to corner the market if demand is high, so yes i think in a month or so they’ll have concrete numbers and then we will see which way it goes.

And yep I think that the rollout was botched too. Part of that problem is too many fingers in the regulatory pie. Should be the same federal regs in every province. Whether private or govt sales or whatever the plan. No municipalities or provincial governments messing with the program. This way for every citizen of every province, no exceptions. The way it is now is too random from province to province and city to city. Confusing as hell. Worse if your a user probably hahaha.

And then there seems to be no real excuse for any community, province , police force or city council not to be prepared for this. Seriously, if they couldn’t get their act together with the notice they had, they should be looking for something else to do.

Last edited:
Clint r wrote: "Lastly, there is no excuse for any community, province , police force or city council not to be prepared for this. Seriously, if they couldn’t get their act together with the notice they had, they need to find something else to do."

Absolutely right! This was either a botched job or a purposeful con job. Bad either way.

Damien, not everyone is comfortable ordering on line. Our seniors, for example. The existing small dispensaries filled a need that is now sorely lacking.

Report Card:
Trudeau - F
Horgan - F-

weed prices will drop to rock bottom in the next 5 years and soon as some major players like Phillip Morris get involved in mass production. It will end up like cig's where 90% of the cost the consumer pays will be taxes.

It will be nice when the weed beverages start to come out in a year or two. Get high with little to know hang over.

Physical stores ARE COMING. It is prudent to get a sense of what the demand would be before spending money on bricks and mortar, why is that hard to process?

People can continue getting it from their weed man or from an existing dispensary if they aren't 'comfortable' buying online. Patience is a virtue.

As what. the 2nd country in the world to legalize, relax. Let things play out a bit and keep refining the process as we go.

When the latest electronic gadgets sell out the first day, its called a success. It's not reasonable to build up a giant stock pile as well as get production matched to ongoing needs/sales. Over time the producers will catch up, stores will catch up.

Not "hard to process" at all. I might be old but I'm not stupid and do, in fact, understand the concept of 'patience'. "Bricks and mortar" stores (dispensaries) were already here, in place and working well. They are now closed and actually have been raided in Port Alberni so people can not get their weed that way. Did not need to happen like this.

Look what I just picked up at the post office.

Packaged really well, overkill maybe considering there is only 3 grams in there.

Attachments

• 20181023_133358.jpg
    20181023_133358.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
good thing Canada post is shipping considering the massive over packaging.
a small kraft envelope would have been sufficient, but that's the government.

3 x 1 Gram pre rolls. I dont know how to roll and dont have paraphenalia. I wouldnt even know where to start with regards to pipes, bongs etc...

Attachments

• 20181023_134746.jpg
    20181023_134746.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 66
Interesting that I survived long enough to see this kind of conversation being carried-out on a public forum - LEGALLY! WOW! What a concept...

Hahaha no kidding. Now when people say “purple haze” I’m not gonna know what they’re talking about.

Back