Need prop advice

Turning point aluminium hustler props can now be had in a 4 blade. I would have went with one of those over the stainless turbo prop I ordered but they dont have them pitched low enough for my application...

i have a yamaha 225 hp ,i took off a stainless yamaha saltwater series 2 .19 pitch and15 1/4 dia.and replace it with a solas amita3 14.5 dia and a 19 pitch.just to get away from the prop weight taking it in and out of gear.sounds like the lower end was going to blow up.and i only lost 1.5 mph.would like to try a 4 blade

I'm pretty sure I read the saltwater series are designed for larger boats than ours. That might be why you had the problem?

FWIC try the 4 blade it holds the boat on plain so much nicer then a 3 blade also much smoother ride in my opinion I just switched from a 3blade 21p to 4 blade 19p and its a night and day difference I lost 2mph on top speed but id give that up all day for the improvements that ive gotten from the 4 blade

solo

How much rpm did you end up picking up going from a 21" 3 blade to a 19" 4 blade, 150-200? I've read something like, to drop 1" of pitch for the equivalent 4 blade. So an 18" 4 blade should be the same as a 19" 3 blade rpm wise?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yamaha make a stainless prop that is designed for use with the 150. I assume that it uses a hub like the Mercury FloTorq 4 hub which is designed to reduce prop rattle and shift clunk from a heavy prop on a small engine. I use the Flo Torq4 with a Mercury Enertia prop on my Yamaha 150 and it works good.

How much rpm did you end up picking up going from a 21" 3 blade to a 19" 4 blade, 150-200? I've read something like, to drop 1" of pitch for the equivalent 4 blade. So an 18" 4 blade should be the same as a 19" 3 blade rpm wise?

I gained around 300 rpm . I actually tried a 4 blade 21p before I went to the 19 and u could feel that it didn't feel right besides the loss in rpms hard to explain it till ya do it. some peeps say drop 1'' pitch when going to 4 blade and others say 2'' . as someone else said on this thread you can try different props as long a you commit to buying one hope this helps

solo

Thanks for the help guys! After a little looking at props I think I'll pickup a Solas Rubex 3 blade 15 pitch, a Solas 4 blade Rubex 15 pitch and the interchangeable hub. That way I can run them both for a while and really see what works best for my boat. I can always sell one or sell the 19 and 21 I have and keep the extra 15 as my spare. I'm going to pass on the stainless.

good choice on passing the stainless prop

Ya, I think you might be right. I've had a Yamaha mechanic tell me the 150 doesn't like the stainless. A buddy happened across a used 4 blade 15 but a smaller diameter. Thought about just trying it but...I've got the itch. I've been reading up on the Solas props the reviews sound pretty good. Found a pretty good deal, so I just placed my order online for the 2 props and hub.

Got my two props and threw on the 15" diameter 15 pitch 4 blade Solas. Ran to the mouth and back so I need some more testing to see how I like it. Playing more with the trim on the 19p that was on it I was able to hit 39.6 mph at 5100rpm. With the 15p 4 blade she's at 36.5 and 5900rpm. So I lost 3mph and gained 800rpm.. At 4400rpm I used to be a a little over 34 mph I'm now a little over 27mph. I think best fuel economy for a 150hp Yamaha 4 stroke is around 4000 rpm which is wear the 19 was at 28mph. Need to do more testing but thinking to get down to 4k with this prop I'll probably have to see how it planes around 25 ish.

Noticed punching it out of the hole the boat stands on end more, the bow comes up higher and you are blind for a few seconds. I was not expecting that but can work around it. Also, I did not have a lot of trim with the 3 blade 19p but I have even less now. I want to run this one for a bit and then I'll throw the 15"×15p 3 blade on and see how it is. I may end up having to run a 17p 3 blade but whatever it takes to dial it in.

Got my two props and threw on the 15" diameter 15 pitch 4 blade Solas. Ran to the mouth and back so I need some more testing to see how I like it. Playing more with the trim on the 19p that was on it I was able to hit 39.6 mph at 5100rpm. With the 15p 4 blade she's at 36.5 and 5900rpm. So I lost 3mph and gained 800rpm.. At 4400rpm I used to be a a little over 34 mph I'm now a little over 27mph. I think best fuel economy for a 150hp Yamaha 4 stroke is around 4000 rpm which is wear the 19 was at 28mph. Need to do more testing but thinking to get down to 4k with this prop I'll probably have to see how it planes around 25 ish.

Noticed punching it out of the hole the boat stands on end more, the bow comes up higher and you are blind for a few seconds. I was not expecting that but can work around it. Also, I did not have a lot of trim with the 3 blade 19p but I have even less now. I want to run this one for a bit and then I'll throw the 15"×15p 3 blade on and see how it is. I may end up having to run a 17p 3 blade but whatever it takes to dial it in.

What year is your NR? I had a 2004. It had a Reliance Painted prop in the 15" X 17P 3 blade. 44MPH at 5800rpm Mine would bounce around a lot.(porpoise) Ended up extending the hull under the swim step along with trim tabs. I swapped out the F150 to a 30" F250. Propped it with a Four Blade Powertech 15.25" X 17P 46MPH at 5800 rpm Loaded. Check to make sure your motors are at the correct height and then check the props for speed and RPM. If it is set to low the Leg will cause drag in the water; slowing the boat down and lowering your RPM.

If your running a Lowrance Unit with the ep 65 fuel flow monitor I would get 6.5GPH at 4000rpm with the F150. The F250 would get 8.5GPH at 4000. I did a lot of fooling around with the motors to get it right. I would get around 2.5 to 3GPM on Tuna trips with 4 on board.

My New boat is sucking fuel and Cavitating now. I raised the engines up a Hole and The RPM is all over the place. Just ordered a new set of props for it (4Blade 16" X 17P Powertechs) next week I will pull the Boat and lower my engines one Hole and if the props come in I will change them out as well. the 3 Tuna Trips This year so far averaged 100gls Burned. Last year motors set one inch lower I burned 70gls per trip. Cost per trip was $450 Split 6 ways. This year the fuel is $425 then the bait and ice adds another $150. I fish out of Westport.

Mines a 2004. Don't think I can raise the engine at all as I only have a limited amount of trim as is before cavitating. I'm thinking the 17p 3 blade will be where I end up, but I will try the 15p 3 blade first and see where that gets me. It really surprised me how much rpm I gained with the 15p 4 blade. So I'm guessing the 15p 3 blade is going to put me over 6k.

I thought about doing an extension too but had a couple of shops including North River themselves blow me off so just dropped the idea. Have you got any pictures, contact info and price you paid for the work you could pm me? I'd love to see what you did.

15p 4 blade is not tne prop for this boat. If anybody needs one let me know. Next step 15p 3 blade. Anybody got a 17p 3 blade not working out for your boat, it looks that's where I'm heading.

Back