need new battery

Hog Tide

one of my boat batteries is pooched.
i need to replace it. just wonderining if i should consider a better battery for running downriggers,prawn puller, electronics,kicker.. i currently use a trojan marine/rv 860 m.c.a...... (starting battery). i got 4 years out of these batteries.
the optimax website says i need 1000 m.c.a. but doesnt specifiy wich type (starting/deep cycle) does anyone use deep cycle or a multi pourpose battery?
i have 1 good starting battery and the other???
thanks

Go to Costco and get 2 new Deep Cycle/Starting Bats. They are great. All you should need. But buy 2. Cost you under $200 for both.

thanks for the tip. kirkland brand?

Yup Kirkland, Energizer etc are all made buy a company called Jonson Energy. The name might be wrong but I am pretty sure I am right. Even if the name is wrong they are all made by the same company what ever the name is. Costco gives a great warranty on them.. Better then anyone else.

Even Walmart bats are made buy them. It think walmart calls them Everstart. But go to CostCo I would in a heart beat now that they are in town.

its a done deal. ive been researching batteries for the last 2 hours,your bang on about the johnson company.cant go wrong with the costco warranty either! will they take the old batteries? core charge?

its a done deal. ive been researching batteries for the last 2 hours,your bang on about the johnson company.cant go wrong with the costco warranty either! will they take the old batteries? core charge?

I could be wrong but I am sure Sculpin and friends will correct me if I am. Core charges are done with on batteries. There is a enviro fee. Dam you can take your old bats to the guy accross from Mad Mans and he wil buy them from you. Drop off at any shop for free.

On my 2nd set of deep cycle Kirklands, each set has lasted 5 years, seems like good value, and they take the old batteries back.
Stosh

not sure if posted yet , I have switched over to two 6 Volt batteries in series ( 2 banks ) , best thing ive ever done,
i run alot of electronics , an overkill sound system lol , Cats A$$ , love it , never worry about killin em out there.

place here in Burnaby , Polar Battery , sometimes have blemish cosmetic defects that work perfectly for under a $ 100 a piece..

gd lk

FD

The Foggy One is absolutely right
6 volt batteries are much higher amperage than 12 volt batteries. Two 6`s in series will out crank a 12 by a LOT. Only problem is you need twice as many batteries and costs go up along with the weight involved.

Ask Stan when he gets home. He has the same motor as you. Maybe you could offer him a deal on his floor while your at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hog Tide: I have a 200 hp Optimax in my boat (2003 model year). I have two batteries: Kirkland Group 27 marine deep cycle/starting I believe, and a Costco "Optima" as my second battery. Both batteries start my Optimax without having to set to both batteries. The previous Kirkland Group 27 battery lasted at least 4 years and my current one is 2 years old, the Optima is 2+ years old.
I could get the exact battery description if rquired.

...Rob

can't see the kirkland batteries on costco website ---------- how about crappy tire they have a AGM deep cycle any opinions

I use the cambodian tire Nautilus 27c-I have 3-basically 2 engine and acces. and a house. I usually buy a new one every second year and rotate the oldest engine or main battery into the house position after a test. They have given great service -usually 6-7 years although by that time I have moved them to a truck-or some place not as critical as starting 15 miles from shore

Back