Need help picking a boat from North west aluminum hard top or open

i dont understand the toe rail from the bottom of the boat deck 2.5- 3" from the deck have a shelf running the length of the boat deck ? storage and safety ? Sushi

Nice boat,i'm thinking about getting one built also,have to get rid of the glass boat first though.What length is that one?It looks like the 20' Doug showed me.

Go with those window like they have on the tug, (same as the pics of the hard top).
Same angle as the bow. You never have rain on the windows, that is why all the tugs and commercial boats have windows like that.
Apparently those reverse angled windows are Awesome... and we know it NEVER rains here on the wet coast.

i dont understand the toe rail from the bottom of the boat deck 2.5- 3" from the deck have a shelf running the length of the boat deck ? storage and safety ? Sushi

The main idea of a toe-rail is to provide a place for you to hook your toes under to provide a secure perch on the deck to prevent you from losing footing and going over the side. I suggest a shelf in order to do double duty.

If you look at your second photo from the top, the one that looks toward the stern and shows all the back deck. you can see a small shelf running the length of the deck area down each side. The only problem is that it is too high for a toe rail. The other thing I notice is the permanent step on the right hand side of the photo. Looks to me that it would be in the way while fishing, and could possibly be a danger to anyone taking a spill.

Good luck with your new boat!

go with the hard top and a drop curtain, couldn't he manufacture a wider sliding door that you could keep open? If you are looking for heat go with a diesel buss heater. stay away from propane, you can't keep the condensation off the windows. nice looking boat and good luck

Thanks alumaman! Where do you buy diesel buss heaters ? do they smell? I have decided to go with a hard top with a really wide door , curtain door that rolls up , I would like to be able to steer the boat from a rear steering station too think this would be the best idea!

That is a great boat Captainkirk. I was looking at couple down at the dock here in Nanaimo at lunch time yesterday. One was a great big prawn boat and the other was a smaller 22' cabin model. I have ridden on the "Born to Build" a couple of times as well. It is a beamy 25 footer. They are very well built boats and as you are aware very popular (ie wait time). Like others have posted the wait time is to your benifit really as it allows you to "get it right" the first time.

I really like my cabin for getting out of the weather. Not just rain but wind and spray as well. Winter prawning? What would you rather be sitting under (especially if the cabin has a heater). So like others have posted I would go for the fort on top. Are you getting a side door put in for boarding? I have seen these on a couple of boats at the Seattle boat show and they are slick. Nichols Diversified Industries and Lee Shore Boats I believe were the two I was looking at.

If I were to have one built NW is right there at the top of my list of builders. Good luck with the build and post up some pics when your ready.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks sculpin fot the input ! YES a side door is a must ! i've been in contact with transport Canada about the structural build of the door being over 2 feet and no problem as long as it is water tight , my door needs to be 26" wide a little wider than most. I will also attach a davit system on the gunnel of the boat to help me get into the boat if needed also, and to use for prawning and crabbing !I really like the built in diesel heater idea to im going to add that to my build sheet . where did you see the 22 foot cabin here in Nanaimo ? ill attach a few pictures of the side door too ! could you send me a few pictures of your boat ? my email is captrkirk@shaw.ca thanks
SimsJ-26-0LCwCB50317.jpg

SimsJ-26-0LCwCB5039.jpg

this would be a nice way for me to enter the boat on most docks with a small fold up aluminum ramp!
Ron

That's what I was talking about. Is that a Silverstreak front end loader:D.

The 22 footer is down at the Nanaimo Boat Basin tied up by all the commercial boats. The prawn boat down there must be 32' or longer and has about a 13' beam:eek:! Lots of dance floor on that one lol.

My boat does not have a side door. There are quite a few shots of her on here already but I can email you some anyways.

The fold up ramp for your chair would be really cool. I'd love to see pics of that when it's done. Keep us posted.

Cheers,
John

Yes its a Silver streak landing craft , I was going to have Andy build me a boat this next month 21 foot hard top but his quote was (choke choke ) just over 100,000 for a runabout not a cabin or pilot house , after posting on this on the forum I found that a few members had Doug from Northwest aluminum build them there boats, I inquired and found that Doug really builds a true custom boat ! Can't wait to have the perfect boat of my choice that works for my disability !

Try Trotac in Victoria Ron, Paul and Trevor are pretty good to deal with and they seem to be willing to negotiate if your're spending $$$$$$
Give those two a call.
Dan.

hey thanks Dan! my wife is the manager of the west marine here in Nanaimo i'll give them a try for a heater first ! discount discount discount :) always helps

Well here is the first step , what do you think !
Ron_Kirk_2.jpg

22' long
Ron_Kirk_1.jpg

thanks for all your tips and ideas !
northwest aluminum craft custom 22' hardtop
Ron

Looks to me , you have a winner. Get it done the way you want and enjoy!

How's your build progressing Captainkirk? Are these two boats (hardtop and softop) the same size hulls? Can't wait to see pictures of the finished product. Keep us daydreamers posted.

NWAC makes a great boat. I recently had a Wallas cooktop/heater installed. Can boil water faster than on my home stove. Keeps cabin comfortable in winter. Minimal diesel used and no smell ( with their new venting system).

Back