Nautilus battery charger

staying alive

So I bought one of these Nautilus 3 bank battery chargers from crappy tire anyone have an opinion on these before I cut my upholstery and mount it permanent
Good things:
It's supposed to be smarter than me
It's waterproof
I just plug it in when I get home and forget it

Bad things:
When you first plug it in it brings the batteries way up in charge and they hiss like they are mildly boiling
After they charge and bring everything down to a maintenance charge the cooling fan inside the unit keeps running even though its not charging anymore , if its so smart why doesn't it shut its fan off.
That's actually the thing that bugs me the most , now I fixate on it and can hear it whirring all the time when I'm out in the garage
If someone can tell me that's normal then I will get over it and mount permanently

So I bought one of these Nautilus 3 bank battery chargers from crappy tire anyone have an opinion on these before I cut my upholstery and mount it permanent
If someone can tell me that's normal then I will get over it and mount permanently

I bought one about 2 years ago - seemed like a good unit but for the "bad features" you mentioned. The short story is that the unit partially failed (the fan quit) and then totally died after about 18 months of occasional use. I'll be buying a quality marine unit (Guest or similar) this spring.

I bought one about 2 years ago - seemed like a good unit but for the "bad features" you mentioned. The short story is that the unit partially failed (the fan quit) and then totally died after about 18 months of occasional use. I'll be buying a quality marine unit (Guest or similar) this spring.

Didn't want to hear that but thanks FOXSEA for the opinion I think I'll take it back before I cut the upholstery in the back to squeeze it in
Think I will go for the Professional Mariner model from West Marine just don't know if the fan stays on
It's got some good reviews and its actually 50 bucks cheaper

I bought one too a while back and same thing with fan, it kept running and running so I unplugged it when charged and will charge up again when ready to go out.

can't help you with the Nautilus battery charger, but you mentioned Guest chargers.
I've had a Guest 10 amp Charge Pro in my boat for 5 years now and it has functioned perfectly.
I have a shore power circuit aboard the boat (with 1 circuit to the cabin) and a line to the charger).
I keep the circuit plugged in full time at my residence & of course whenever we are at a marina with power.
The system has worked flawlessly. Additionally, I would recommend tinned marine electrical wiring with marine connections... I think its really worth it over the long haul. PS ...I don't know how many times in the past I've had to rewire when I used copper wire etc.... :) ...plus low voltage is tough on instuments.
good luck with your upgrade.

Took the Canadian tire charger out and put in a promariner prosport 12 from west marine it is virtually silent and doesn't get nearly as hot glad I made the switch , now just have to put everything back together and I will be happy

Back