Nanaimo Winter 2013/14

Have a friend in town looking for a charter out of Nanaimo for this weekend, most likely Saturday. Suggestions? thx

If anyone offers you a charter right now in nanaimo it is a boat ride and a rough one at that . Windyband no fish imop. Good luck and hopefully you prove me wrong.

just got back from sask, ya i didnt miss the -30... but i managed a 15lb jack, and a few 3-4lb pickerals from under the ice... nice eating... now i need some salmon...

If you don't mind driving to Campbell River, Crabbys Charters is hitting fish regularly up there. Great guy and great boat.

The following from Facebook yesterday

Crabby's Fishing Charters
My guests for the day cancelled.So I went out for the tide change this morning solo and bagged my limit in 45 minutes.Released a few more and checked the crab pots..fresh spring&crab for dinner!

just wondering if anyone has been out fishing thrasher or porlier pass lately?, i might be heading out sometime on the weekend or on tuesday , what do you think would have more luck with catching a fish going to porlier pass or thrasher rock?

Maybe we will see you out there Sculpin. Might be going out on the San Mateo. Prawning and crabbing. Last time we where out we had some good success.

Cheers All ... the fishing has been picking up (as has the bait) but the snow and wind have definitely made
the process more complicated ... fyi ... Invictus Charters does fish all season long out of NANAIMO.... :)

Was out yesterday afternoon for a few hours tonne of bait kickin around on the sounder good sign of things to come hopefully
peny7u4a.jpg
e9erupe8.jpg

Was out crabbing and prawning yesterday. There was some huge patches of bait on the sounder. Thought about pulling out a jig to check to see if there where herring balls but we had to many prawns to clean. Maybe we will have time next weekend.prawns and crab 013.jpgprawns and crab 009.jpg

Hey guys, looks like I'm gunna be boat less for the upcoming season, so if anybody is looking for someone in the nanaimo area to share costs, feel free to send me a message, I've got tons of gear and crab traps if needed as well, cheers.

I went out for a couple hours today. There is bait like crazy but no luck for me. I'm thinking any salmon in the area would be too well fed to catch. Is there any proven tactic for this time of year? I think I've tried and failed for the last 4 years in march.

Is there a general rule for leader length or depths or speeds or flashers? I imagine staying on the bait is good but literally it's hard to avoid out there right now. Is it better to be over, under or just in the bait? There were balls of bait out there thick from 60 feet to 225 feet in a depth of 250 feet of water. I'm thinking, "if I were a salmon, how would i be attacking this?"

Is there a general rule for leader length or depths or speeds or flashers? I imagine staying on the bait is good but literally it's hard to avoid out there right now. Is it better to be over, under or just in the bait? There were balls of bait out there thick from 60 feet to 225 feet in a depth of 250 feet of water. I'm thinking, "if I were a salmon, how would i be attacking this?"

where abouts were the bait balls?

Back