Nanaimo River

Interesting how they put such stringent controls in some areas and then not in others.

I would have thought that as long as you're keeping the genetics of a given river "pure", then the argument about the hatcheries messing with diluting the stock is pretty much moot.

An option would be to use the Scotty plastic incubation tray systems. They're pretty straight forward.... get some ripe females and males. Stip the eggs, mix in the milt, load up the trays and then place in the flow of the stream. The eggs are protected, you get a better hatch rate and once they hatch they go out into the stream/river as if they just made their way up through the gravel. Granted, this isn't as good as a hatchery raising the fish in concrete ponds and making sure they are well fed, but they do help. I wonder if the province would have an issue with these?

quote:Originally posted by darmin

so there telling you your at you at your peek for hatchery chinook when in fact they dont have a clue what the actually numbers are seems kind of fishy:D you ever try to eat a paper fish their really flat, mind you they dont have many bones

Yes, it is a little fishy[:p] They base it on past data and assumed hatchery release survivals.

sorry to hijack, but when abouts does the majority of springs return to the Cowichan?

quote:Originally posted by river hunter

So how do you guys figure how many springs return each year to the Nanaimo?How far up are these spring and summer chinook traveling when they enter the Nanaimo?I know they reach second lake.I know they also head up south Nanaimo river.Would a chinook that is well into the river in june,hold till september in the same hole?

There is one estimate using swim enumerations. Another estimate is used from a deadpitch program.

There are three runs of chinook, spring, summer and fall. The springs usually go all the up to Green Creek, near 4th lake. There are only a handful of these that still return. The summer runs will hold in the South Fork junction, then first lake. We get our summer run broodstock when they are heading back down into the river from first lake in early October. Some fish will hold for while in deep, cold pools through the summer.

Oglthorpe, I skimmed thru that report now from what I understand correct me if im wrong coho and steelhead are reared longer in the hatchery then the other species hence cost more money per fish

quote:Originally posted by darmin

Oglthorpe, I skimmed thru that report now from what I understand correct me if im wrong coho and steelhead are reared longer in the hatchery then the other species hence cost more money per fish

Yes, you are right. Coho and steelhead are ideally released as smolts after a full year of feeding at the hatchery.

quote:Originally posted by river hunter

"When they(springs)start heading back down strean outta first..",THey head down stream?you mean on their way to die of course..?
G. creek,that's quite the journey into the high mountains.Is this an insertion point,jus below the bridge there??Same with steelhead too,I guess.
Will we be ever able to retain a chinook in the Nanaimo???

The summer run chinook hold in First Lake before they drop back down into the river to spawn. By Green Creek, I meant the Green Creek Junction. Green Creek itself is too low for chinook in September and October. I don't see them opening the Nanaimo for chinook retention anytime soon, but that is up to the powers that be.

Oglthorpe, Do you guys know how much it cost to rear a smolt Coho or Steelhead to the point where it can be released

Oglthorpe, Do you guys know how much it cost to rear a smolt Coho or Steelhead to the point where it can be released

Sorry, I don't have any numbers, I know I saw an estimate somewhere before but I can't remember what it is. It will vary at different sites, quantity of fish, water temperature and pumping, labor etc.

Using native steelies for a Nanaimo river hatchery program could surely pose no danger? How about 5 to 10 or even 15 thousand less less Coho,Chinook,or preferably chum . Use that extra incubation space for steelies,wich in the long run would generate more money for everybody except steelie stamp buyers.Ie more people paying steelhead conservation surcharge should = more money for hatchery programs,or at least a better christmas party for the people who work for the government lol.

Back