Nanaimo River

Ok lets get a good one goin, what in your guys opion, is the problem with nanaimo river, this river can be one of the islands best rivers, so why is it not? lets hear what ya got to say

I emailed the hatchery asking them why their not enhancing Steelhead in the Nanaimo their reply was the ministry of enviroment would not allow it due to low numbers of wild fish it would disturb the Genetic Diversity now im not a biologist so im not exactly sure what that means but if anyone can shed some light on it feel free

anyone know how many fish the hatchery releases annually, and what species?

i know they do a lot of chum, and i read on this site about them doing pinks but thats all i know.

I work at the hatchery.

Our egg targets each year are as follows:

Fall Chinook - 450,000

Summer Chinook - 250,000

Coho - 127,000 (will be increased to 260,000 next year)

Chum are based on returns. So our targets range from 200,000 to 1,000,000. DFO figured a return of 35,000 this year and we took 500,000

Pinks - We have had pink eggs transplanted from the Quinsam hatchery. We released 130,000 in the spring of 2004 and saw a return of approx. 2500 in the fall of 2005. Last spring we released 600,000 and we are expecting around 10,000 back this year. This year we will be releasing 375,000 and taking our own eggs in the fall, shooting for 1,000,000.

Kev, no comprende as of late, whats's new?? The shop is keepin me goin pretty strong. Headin back to the Gold on Mon. Fly out for a day trip.lol Anywho give me a hollar over the next few. Shop # is 250-244-1011.-dirty

Hey Oglthorpe,

The two hatcheries by us also pump out a few million Chums each. I assume the reason for so many Chums is historical volumes???

I always wondered why the hatcheries didn't switch over to higher Chinook/Coho counts trying to convert the streams to a greater Chinook/Coho content given the economic desirability of those species... The only thing I could come up with was fear of disturbing the natural historical balance....

I'm no expert, but I do know the stream keepers 'fertilize' the streams and rivers with carcasses (to add nutrients for the fry to feed on). I can only assume that large chum #'s in hatchery rivers may be to do the same, as they have little economic value. Maybe Oglthorpe can correct or confirm. I'm probably opening myself up for some criticism, but I do understand genetics, and don't buy into the premise that hatchery fish ruin the genetic diversity of a river. I'd explain why, but its kind of long winded.
Sure would be nice if the Nanaimo and Englishman could have the same hatchery sucess as the Qualicums...more federal funding required.

I'm no expert, but I do know the stream keepers 'fertilize' the streams and rivers with carcasses (to add nutrients for the fry to feed on). I can only assume that large chum #'s in hatchery rivers may be to do the same, as they have little economic value. Maybe Oglthorpe can correct or confirm. I'm probably opening myself up for some criticism, but I do understand genetics, and don't buy into the premise that hatchery fish ruin the genetic diversity of a river. I'd explain why, but its kind of long winded.
Sure would be nice if the Nanaimo and Englishman could have the same hatchery sucess as the Qualicums...more federal funding required.

what were the returns for coho and chinook last year??

I only wish the provincial govt would get their heads outta their rear ends. This system has 3 lg. bodies of water as well as some serious tribs. feeding it. If the Ministry of Env. would only put forth the effort to see where these so called low numbers of "wild fish" are escaping to, maybe a hatchery release in say a lower stretch of river, as to not disturb the "wild escapement". C'mon you political jack asses, quit sweeping a viable and econimically based fishery under the rug. This system has the potential to produce #'s similar to the Stamp.. Why send every Tom, Dick and Frickin Harry to Pt. to capitalize on the dollars and cents that Winter steelhead have to offer. Being said, who say's that the few wild fish are just that.. People do not realize that the Nan. was a major hatchery put and take fishery, going back to the 80's. Shakin my head.-dirty

Couldnt agree with you more dirty i think its all a bunch of political bull**** if the numbers are that low why would they open it to catch and release and what would make them think the stock would rebuild itself NEVER MIND THE OLYMPICS:( ID RATHER CATCH STEEL:D a billion bucks would go along way toward a provincial hatchery program :)

nice job dirty, and ya i tryed to buzz ya the other night,nobody home,but back to the Nanaimo river ,you know , there must be sombody out there that has the money and time to do somthing about this system, or even sombody who wants to form a volenteer group somthing simular to the E.R., they do wounderfull work on that system , but the nanaimo might not work because of access to the entier river(lower section),

quote:---HATCHERIES BAD --better NO fish than hatchery fish!!!

thats just ridiculous, half the local springs i catch are hatchery. Look at campbell river, i read most the springs that return to that area return to the Quinsam river and its hatchery, rather then the Campbell itself.

I will try and answer everybody's comments.

Chums are pumped out in higher numbers for a few reasons. Like you guys stated, they do add nutrients to the system. Rearing habitat also limits fish production, so this doesn't apply to chum as they head right out to the ocean and don't compete with each other in the river.

DFO will not allow an increase in the numbers of coho and chinook production. The main limiting factor for chinook production is that hatchery fish returning should not exceed 50% of the total return, and DFO says we are right at 50%. As for coho, they hang around in the river for a year before they head out, so it comes down to habitat and fry per square meter. (Only a small portion of Nanaimo chinook hold for a year)

We conduct weekly swim enumerations from late August to early November and DFO take these counts to estimate an escapement. This year's return was estimated at 3200 adults, which is up from the past couple of years. Coho are too difficult to enumerate as they return in November and December along with all of the floods. From what we saw, coho returns were down considerably this year.

We would like to enhance steelhead as well, but as stated we are not allowed. Before my time there was a hatchery program. Fish were taken from the Nanaimo, eggs fertilized and hatched at the hatchery, then fry taken down to VI hatchery in duncan, fed to smolt, then released back into the Nanaimo. I would think these fish would be imprinting on the water down in Duncan, confusing them as to where to return.

The Nanaimo River Stewardship Society is contracted by DFO to run the hatchery, so, the 5 of us employed are unfortunately not DFO employees. We have always had lots of community support.

Anybody can stop by and if we aren't too busy, we can show you around and answer any questions.

Brian Banks

Thanks Brian - answered a few questions. Always thought that would be a fun job!!!

quote:Originally posted by Oglthorpe

DFO will not allow an increase in the numbers of coho and chinook production. The main limiting factor for chinook production is that hatchery fish returning should not exceed 50% of the total return, and DFO says we are right at 50%.

OK...but at what point do the numbers get so low, that they change this policy? 50% of nothing is nothing.
The offspring of a hatchery fish are wild...just like I'm a native Canadian even though I'm white.
Take eggs and sperm from enough fish, and genetic diversity will be maintained....actually enhanced as only the healthiest, strongest fish should be used. IMHO

Oglthorpe,of the 3200 returning chinook aprox how many were wild or is there anyway of telling i.e do you clip the hatcheries

DFO dropped the Nanaimo River as an indicator stream about 4 years back. The Cowichan is used as the lower Georgia Straight indicator stream, so their chinook are tagged, not ours. We did tag and clip 200,000 chinook 2 years ago, as the Cowichan hatchery lost their fish that year, and the tags were given to us. So we did see tagged jacks this year, and the odd 5 year old, but the 3's and 4's weren't tagged so we can't even tell how many were hatchery fish. A lot of the targets set by DFO are from presumptions and estimates, otherwise known as "paperfish".

very interesting stuff - I wish they would publish more info for the sport guys so we can understand the logic and reasoning behind the stocking programs.

so there telling you your at you at your peek for hatchery chinook when in fact they dont have a clue what the actually numbers are seems kind of fishy:D you ever try to eat a paper fish their really flat, mind you they dont have many bones

Back