Nanaimo and Area reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Escaped in the boat yesterday and fished off Fingers in beautiful weather. Lots of grilse, small jacks, some bait marked. One good fish made my day, made me forget for a while all the stresses. Small spoon, 41 lb 2 oz male that fought hard, jumped, tore line, and finally consented to join me in the boat. My best fish ever on this side of the Island.

Nice fish Jim!!! Congrats.

Any news for Nanaimo/Gab? Heading out with Mi Chica on sun, maybe monday too for some belated product testing. Our focus will be late springs & coho, any chum?? Doubt chum are around, as the test have been sucking for the straights. Gonna be testing a new reel, it looks and feels good out of the box, but repetitive field tests will tel a tale. Hoping it is solid, as it will be a great alt to the top dogs if it is as good as I think it may be.

Obviously the pink reel is an Islander, the other is not.

DHA.

Attachments

• WP_000671.jpg
    WP_000671.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 98
Got out yesterday for a few hours. Dropped the prawn traps off Entrance and trolled around in lock bay for a couple hours. No action for us and all the prawns had eggs in them, but it was sure a nice calm day out there.

Im I reading the regs right? for Prawning in Nanaimo.... Looks to me like its open around Nanaimo but there are certain areas around Thetis?Gab that are closed for 1/2month at the time... inside waters of the ladysmith area mainly....

The water looked great today. Did Mi Chica and DHA get out there?

We had a great day out on the water, near and around the waterfront area of Nanaimo, BC CANADA. It was the perfect setting and a great beginning to a fabulous day of angling for late summer & fall chinook. Our target was primarily late chinook, coho and if we were lucky chum salmon(nope, not lucky on this trip. lol)

We had a tremendous time trolling around the areas known by the local anglers as the "Fingers, Neck Point, Brick Yard & the Humps". We started our day down at the docks by 730AM and finished our long labour of love fishing day back at the dock at 530pm.

Yep, a long arduous day of fishing, coupled with some product testing, our tedious job of hunting down some willing fish paid off ten fold. No keepers on this trip, but it was great company as always fishing with Jim(Mi Chica) on his boat, the MV Mi Chica.

A full day of fishing in Nanaimo waters...compressed into 24 minutes!

Our entire day compressed into under 24 minutes of angling video for your viewing pleasure...

All shots for this video footage were taken using I-KAM Video Glasses. It makes for some interesting footage to say the least, as we never know what we are going to end up with in the focal scenes, because we can't tell what the hell we are shooting when the record button rolls and saves the frames to memory. LOL

Take it for what it is, because it is exactly what ever it is...

Enjoy!

DHA.

[jVQvnSiK1vw] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVQvnSiK1vw

Cool vid DHA. Glad you guys had a nice day out there. I'm hoping to get out in the next couple of days for an evening fish.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Finally got to watch the whole thing. Nice. Glasses seem to work well. What line was on the proto?
Line creep idea interesting. G/G TKO?

Finally got to watch the whole thing. Nice. Glasses seem to work well. What line was on the proto?
Line creep idea interesting. G/G TKO?

Hi-Vis Berkley 30lbs., yes Green Glow will be a standard TKO color on all sizes. Working on a third size during our next fishing season. Tooling is being developed now, the spoon is becoming very popular around many areas of VI. The 3 1/2 CJ Special is coming out in the spring in four of the top tested colors. I am designing the packaging right now.

DHA.

Prawning

Hey guys. New to prawnfishing. Couple of questions, I presume from an earlier post you can't keep prawns with the eggs attached?? Also what are typically the best months to prawn fish?? Also does any know a good area to go close to saltspring, galiano , or mayne island. My parents have a cabin over that way and I want to try to catch prawns over there. Thanks

What a beauty day on the water today. I have never gone solo on the Sculpin before and had a blast out there crabbing, prawning, and touring around out front of Nanaimo. I used to do the solo thing with my previous smaller vessel quite a bit. I managed my limit of crab, zero prawns (that sucked), and even trolled around neck point for a little bit just to try out working the gear and driving by myself. I met seadawg from this site as well and had a good bs session with him. What a great day spent in paradise on Vancouver Island.

Hey Sculpin, said howdy to ya at the ramp when coming in. I was the green sailboat. Sorry didn't notice the boat name until you were pulling out. Anyway, I wasn't fishing, only sailing yesterday, but was both in the neck point and fingers area. The sounder was far more lively and we saw 6 good size jumpers at the fingers so you may want to try that next time. Not sure what species though. probably chum or coho.

Hey Sculpin, said howdy to ya at the ramp when coming in. I was the green sailboat. Sorry didn't notice the boat name until you were pulling out. Anyway, I wasn't fishing, only sailing yesterday, but was both in the neck point and fingers area. The sounder was far more lively and we saw 6 good size jumpers at the fingers so you may want to try that next time. Not sure what species though. probably chum or coho.

Thanks for the post Reel Knotty. Maybe next time we can shoot the ****. Nice sail boat btw.

Cheers,
Sulpin

What a beauty day on the water today. I have never gone solo on the Sculpin before and had a blast out there crabbing, prawning, and touring around out front of Nanaimo. I used to do the solo thing with my previous smaller vessel quite a bit. I managed my limit of crab, zero prawns (that sucked), and even trolled around neck point for a little bit just to try out working the gear and driving by myself. I met seadawg from this site as well and had a good bs session with him. What a great day spent in paradise on Vancouver Island.

That's cool, glad to hear that you got her all back together and finally fishin'! It was great reading that thread where you posted about the make over. Talented! Good on you man.

DHA.

That's cool, glad to hear that you got her all back together and finally fishin'! It was great reading that thread where you posted about the make over. Talented! Good on you man.

DHA.

Thanks man. Glad you read that thread. She is working quite awesome right now. Need to get out more on my home grounds this winter on the East side. You game?

Back