Nanaimo and Area reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Here are some pics. Shot 30 min of vid.

uvs110817-001.jpg

uvs110817-002.jpg

uvs110817-005.jpg

uvs110817-004.jpg

Awesome photos Kelly. I think I have figured it out from reading some of your old posts that you are a swimmer.......explains why you jump out of a perfectly good boat all the time:D. Not everyone gets to experience half the stuff you do. Very cool:cool:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pics Kelly!

Where do you "swim" out of? Am I right that you swim with UBC; I also recall you saying you were a competitive swimmer?

Many years ago I had a scholarship and swam out of U of Manitoba.

Burnsy22:- The "Boogieman" flasher is made by O'ki (Big Shooter).

It is a glow body (whitish sort of), has silver herring-bone prism on one side.

The other side is half gold fish-scale prism and half silver herring-bone prism.

You can get them at most tackle shops.

Great pics, Kelly!

Cool pics Kelly, the video should be awesome too. I'm back at work now and the boat is in the driveway. Maybe we can try that hali thing before you head back or maybe a trip to the river. Let me know. BRS

Finally gave some time to trying a hunch/some info and ran to Sabine Channel Wednesday for sox.
3 hours and all the usual tricks tried. Not a sock to be seen on a hook or on the sounder or on the surface, nor were there any others fishing there so that made it hard to tell if any fish were in the area.
Tried near Sangster for a while and the kid ended up winning a beauty scrap against a 16# spring that was firm and red. Halfway to candy right now!
He had hard time at first since it was on grampa's moocher 2000 and he is used to the freewheel of a Peetz, too funny.
Hit it on a 3" wonder bread with a 7' leader in 80' of water at 73' down. Was trying to scratch up some bottom fish since the kid was bored.
Off to flash up the Bradley.
Smiley.

p.s. good amounts of bigger fish around SC right now

Greg im always down to fish. Just let me know when your thinking.We should definately try for hali.

Darin they were coming within inches. Ill post the vid this weekend when i get some time to make it.

Fished the last two days. 21 lber lastnight and boated 5 smaller springs between 6-13 lbs today. Lost 3 others aswell today. 140-160ft gerald/ballenas.

Haha speaking of old men, i got my dad out for a quick fish lastnight. Released a teener.

French creek is having a fishing derby next weekend for anyone interested. I saw the poster at gone fishing. Im sure you can get tickets at the french creek store aswell as gone fishin. Should be a good time!

Just found this site through a friend - great information and pictures....
Fished off Ballenas yesterday and caught a 14 and two tens....

Fished the fingers this afternoon. Lots of undersized jacks still out there, probably caught around 16. Caught two 8 pound keepers. All the action was between Hudson rocks and pipers lagoon on army truck hootchies and green needlefish hootchies. 70 to 110 feet. A little windy out there, but it calmed by the afternoon.

Yeah I hear ya with the little fish..Same thing as at the cannery on Sunday...Managed one 8lb keeper as well but hit about 10-12 little jack springs as well. Been waiting for a late summer big one to show up but no luck so far.

Landed a few 20s today and lost one in a short low tide fish. My buddy landed a 36lb hog beside me aswell as a few smaller. French creek should be heating up. Off to the port derby.

this may sounds like a very green question but for the splatter back pattern is it primarily green that works off nanaimo or does a green splatter on a chartreuse hoochie work effectively as well

Last edited by a moderator:
went out today from 6-10 by entrance island to rocky point nailed 3 keepers lost another decent one and let some smaller barely legal ones go. fish were 8, 13 and 23 pounds all caught deep on the chovie. only saw one seal out there thinking maybe theres enough feed around to keep them off the boats for the time being any thoughts?

Yipee

Escaped in the boat yesterday and fished off Fingers in beautiful weather. Lots of grilse, small jacks, some bait marked. One good fish made my day, made me forget for a while all the stresses. Small spoon, 41 lb 2 oz male that fought hard, jumped, tore line, and finally consented to join me in the boat. My best fish ever on this side of the Island.

Attachments

• 41pounds.jpg
    41pounds.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 165
Back