Nanaimo and Area reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Got on the water about 1:00 yesterday afternoon and fished till 5 or so. Fished a couple passes through the Cannery and then over to Whalebone and found a bit of bait there. Picked up one 10-12lbs dragging bottom in 140ft. Nice dark red flesh.
Continued to the waterfall and marked bait in shallow.

What a day to get the wife out, almost too hot and barely a breath of wind. Just the way she likes it.

Hey Kelly I have lots of herring for hali bait just let me know a day or two ahead and I'll thaw and brine some up for ya. Are you around Monday? I'm gonna fish all day before I start back to work. BRS

Hope you werent BSing me today greg haha..... If you give me the video i can take photos off it and post them. Not often you hear of fish that size on the east side!

Hey Kelly no BS the fish were huge and I just sent some pics. We were trolling off French Creek and I hooked in to a monster and it was quite the battle my arm was sore and my thumb started to cramp up. About 15 minutes later it was in the net. I wasn't planning on releasing it till it was laying there about to be bonked and I just looked at Bushy and said I was gonna let him(or her)go. We took some video and some pics with measuring tape then after about a ten minute revival it swam away. My freezer is full of salmon from Winter Harbour so I didn't need any more. About half an hour later Bushy's rod goes crazy and we had a good laugh as we knew he had a big one as well. After it was in the net I looked at him and said well what are you gonna do and he laughed and released it! Two Tyees in half an hour and both swam away to hopefully produce a bunch more. I know fish this big are common on the west coast but for this side it was incredible. We were in 200ft of water and both were close to bottom. Bushy got his on an army truck spoon and mine was on a UV hootchy. I have video as well and I'll try to figure it out there was alot of "holy f#@k" goin on. What a day! I figure mine was around 40lbs and Bushy's was 30-35ish BRS

Good job on the release, if you bonked it there would have been no chance that that fish would spawn, now its not for sure but odds are deff. better on that hog getting home, karma will thank you driller

Monday Hot Rods boated a male 42 pounder off Gabriola, fishing solo. There are some BIG fish on this side at the moment.

Fished the cannery today from 9 to noonish. Two 12's around 930 and then not much after that.
Lots and lots of bait.
Both fish were stuffed with 3 inch herring. Both came from 140ft in 150ft of water.

Gotta love it when bigwavedave is wrong, calling for 15kts and in actual fact barely a ripple this morning.

Skunked at french creek on a 3 hour fish wed morn and skunked on a 3 hour fish at sangster yesterday (lost one). Switched up and caught some lings though up to 20 lbs. Got some cool vid including my buddy landing a big ******* from an inner tube. Next on the list is fighting and landing a big spring from the inner tube!

uvs110813-001.jpg

uvs110813-002.jpg

Haha no he is not naked in this pic. Shorts musta been gettin a price check.

uvs110813-004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Skunked at gerald fishing the low tide. Damn thats 4 in a row on this side.... There are a few fish here and there but its scratchy.

yesterday

With the boat down (bad trim pump motor, now repaired) I haven't been out, but 2 springs 30+ taken off Fingers yesterday, plus a few decent fish taken off Gabriola. Some decent size fish out there at the moment, feasting on small herring.

Released three 6-8 lb springs and a pink. Lost a 15 beside the boat and another big fish i never got a look at. Gerald/Ballenas. Found a few of those really deep (260ft).

Kelly.....you mean you were fishing Nanaimo first, where you got the fish mentioned and then went to Ballenas/Gerald where you saw a couple of fish down deep?

No i fished gerald and ballenas. Caught fish at both. In the last 30 minutes i switched things up and hit two including the biggest fish at 260ft on the rigger.

Hit sangster today. Few fish around. We boated a 10 lber and lots of undersize. On the way home we came across a pod of dolphins. I jumped in with the cam for a swim and got some sick footage. Will post it later.

Out between Clarke Rock and Rocky Point yesterday. Also fished a little out side of Five Fingers.

Lost 4 small feisty-as- hell Chinook at boat around low slack period.

120ft deep in 130ft of water between Neck and Rocky point on 3" metallic green/u/v/ Chrome Kingfisher spoons 6ft. behind Green/ Cracked Ice flashers.

Lost a much bigger one later that was "airborne/ballistic" on a 4" "Mongoose" J-plug. (90ft in 120ft of water). Plug fished solo, no flasher, 40ft.off clip.

Around 6:45 p.m. switched to 3 1/2" green/glow Splatterback spoons 6ft. behind "Boogieman" flashers.

Nailed a 25lb'er and 14lb'er right out front of Rocky Point........one side was 90ft. and the other was 110ft. in 130ft of water.

Also towed a few "jacks" around for awhile without knowing until gear check.

Very few seals around. Actually passed one that was sleeping in the water with it's eyes closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back