N.S. fish farm rejected: risk to wild salmon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agent, Neither of those links came up for me. Why would Alaska become involved? Their smolt don't pass by fish farms in BC. Unless you are talking about them intercepting the BC and lower 49 adult salmon.
No, our smolts do - and then grow-up into adults that the Alaskans fish - as you suggested. Lines on a map are no barrier. In addition diseases are the gift that keeps on giving. It is truly a "transboundary effect".

Apologies for the broken links. I was rushed to post for the last postings and never got a chance to check to see if the links still worked. Try:
http://www.enr.gov.nt.ca/_live/documents/content/wood_bison_management_strategy.pdf
http://srd.alberta.ca/FishWildlife/...Disease-WoodBison-WoodBuffNatPark-Feb2011.pdf
http://srd.alberta.ca/FishWildlife/...gDisease-WoodBison-ProgressReport-Jun2011.pdf
http://www.wildlifeaccidents.ca/docs/mangaginginfectionriskmitchell.pdf
http://www.mountainecology.org/IBEX7/pdf/disease management.pdf
http://www.enr.gov.nt.ca/_live/documents/content/risk_assessment_bison.pdf
http://media.nwsgc.org/proceedings/NWSGC-2006/Garde risks FINAL.pdf
http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/v...sessment domestic sheep goats Dall sheep NWT"
http://www.enr.gov.nt.ca/_live/documents/content/186_manuscript.pdf
http://www.ccwhc.ca/wildlife_health_topics/risk_analysis/era_step1.php
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/documents/wldhealth/BC_CWD_RiskAssess061008.pdf
http://server2.icav.up.pt/EXPL/CVT-LIV/1400/2012/[11]_Morner et al. 2002.PDF

Last edited by a moderator:
BC Salmon farmers frustrated by misinformation
Canada: More rhetoric is being produced by anti- salmon farming activists in the run-up to a Provincial election in May

Tips en venn Utskriftsvennlig
Odd Grydeland

Just in time to influence some fickle voters, a new video is released, containing the usual collection of clips telling the world that wild salmon in British Columbia and elsewhere is doomed. The most popularly claimed culprit fired back today, with an Opinion piece in the Campbell River-based Courier-Islander newspaper by Mary Ellen Walling, Executive Director of the B.C. Salmon Farmers Association;

Salmon Farmers aren't often asked about our feelings, but lately, we've had a few calls inquiring about just that: "How does it make you feel?" has been the key question from a few reporters recently, regarding the film Salmon Confidential, produced by Twyla Roscovich and featuring the fluid hypothesis of Alexandra Morton.

Our response is one word: frustrated. Frustrated that such misinformation is being circulated, that the filmmakers are intentionally trying to confuse the public, and that such disrespect can be shown to true experts in fish health and environmental management. To state it simply, Salmon Confidential is the film version of a tale that has been spun together using speculation, misinformation and emotional visuals. Many of the allegations repeated in the 'documentary' have been proven wrong multiple times over the past few years, but here they appear again, all clipped together. Here's just two examples of the misinformation included in the film:

CLAIM: The only salmon stocks that are successful are those that do not pass salmon farms.

IN FACT: The example of the Harrison Sockeye (which migrate around the west side of Vancouver Island) has been repeatedly corrected: the fact is that the Harrison run has a different life cycle than other sockeye - they enter the ocean almost immediately after hatching (like pink salmon) rather than rearing in lakes (like most sockeye stocks). They also pass farms which operate on the west side of Vancouver Island. In fact there are other species of Fraser River salmon (pinks, chum) that have increased since salmon farming began in BC.

CLAIM: Infectious Salmon Anemia (ISA) was found in BC salmon and DFO is the only agency unable to find it.

IN FACT: A preliminary screening test came back positive for ISA in a few poor-condition fish submitted for sampling by Ms. Morton. This does not mean that ISA was found - the notes by Dr. Kibenge, included in lab results, express specifically that these preliminary positives do not indicate the presence of ISA. Significant follow-up testing by both regulators and independent laboratories could never replicate the initial findings. Extensive additional testing - including samples from every active salmon farm - found no evidence of ISA. On the other hand, the DFO lab has shown it is quite capable of finding ISA in fish tested on the East Coast of Canada, where the virus occurs naturally.

We have limited space in this column - but there are dozens more examples of misinformation in this film. We hope that by presenting two key examples, viewers will think critically about the other information provided. Ms. Morton and her lawyer were given ample opportunity to present their case at the Cohen Commission of Inquiry into the Decline of the Sockeye Salmon in the Fraser River. After three years, $26 million (€ 20 million), and the testimony of dozens of expert witnesses, Judge Bruce Cohen stated in his final Cohen Commission report "Data presented during this Inquiry did not show that salmon farms were having a significant negative impact on Fraser River sockeye." (Final Report, Volume 3, p. 24, column 2).

It speaks volumes that these filmmakers have to continuously rely on information that is misrepresented, outdated or simply incorrect. It shows the real plain facts aren't enough to weave the story they want to tell to try and influence British Columbians. We have faith that most people will continue to have real, productive conversations about how to ensure salmon farming continues to be the important sector it is on Vancouver Island while ensuring we operate responsibly and sustainably for years to come.
Publisert: 04.04.13 kl 07:00

Quote - "Salmon Confidential is the film version of a tale that has been spun together using speculation, misinformation and emotional visuals"

Yet, all salmon farm records are kept secret. So we just have to 'believe' you, not likely. I think that film was an incredible eye opener. It was very well done.
Your reply is weak at best, but i really dont care to argue with you..........

thanks for this sockeyefry. It's always interesting to hear what the other side are telling themselves.

I'm sure you aleady know that what Walling claims about the ISA results is incorrect. We also already discussed the differences in viral testing methods and the limitations of the PCR test earlier on this thread - something Walling neglected to mention.

I'll look-up more about the Harrison stocks migratory route.

We already discussed the potential resilence (or lack thereof) of stocks that are in abundance verses those with significant conservation challenges - and how sometimes stocks cannot take any more additional population-level impacts.

So Walling's assertion that the filmakers CLAIM: "The only salmon stocks that are successful are those that do not pass salmon farms." is both incorrect AND misleading.

IN FACT: A preliminary screening test came back positive for ISA in a few poor-condition fish submitted for sampling by Ms. Morton. This does not mean that ISA was found - the notes by Dr. Kibenge, included in lab results, express specifically that these preliminary positives do not indicate the presence of ISA. Significant follow-up testing by both regulators and independent laboratories could never replicate the initial findings. Extensive additional testing - including samples from every active salmon farm - found no evidence of ISA. On the other hand, the DFO lab has shown it is quite capable of finding ISA in fish tested on the East Coast of Canada, where the virus occurs naturally.
The bar was set high for the BC salmon to test positive. You had to have a positive PCR test and cultivate the virus in the lab. For the East Coast salmon, a PCR test was all that was needed to confirm ISA.... Wonder how that works?
In fact the east coast salmon were tested positive then destroyed and a cheque was sent from our "dear leader" to compensate for their loss. Later our "dear leader" found that you could continue to keep your ISA positive east coast salmon growing and then, when time was right, dump it on the market so people could enjoy their ISA positive salmon for supper....... The BC salmon feedlot industry must be sweating waiting for the shoe to drop.... This election has got to be the most important election in the history of BC and for our future.

Commission report "Data presented during this Inquiry did not show that salmon farms were having a significant negative impact on Fraser River sockeye."

So if the salmon farmers are in agreement with this statement then you agree that salmon farming has an impact on sockeye, to what degree is unknown.

Good post GLC. Good debunking on the ISA comments by Off-The-Wall.

To add more to SalmonKiller's Post: this is SPECIFICALLY what Justice Cohen said about siting criteria (which I have been harping on):

Justice Cohen, p.22: http://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2012/bcp-pco/CP32-93-2012-3-eng.pdf

In my view, the risk of serious harm that salmon farms pose to Fraser River sockeye along their entire migration route – not just 1 km from the mouth of the river – needs to be considered and reflected in siting criteria.

On the Harrison migration debate:

Tucker et al. (2009) found that 94% of the juvenile sockeye salmon caught off the WCVI in fall were allocated to the Harrison River in the Fraser River drainage - which was the only time of year that Harrison River sockeye salmon were caught; a pattern entirely opposite to other Fraser River origin fish.

http://salmonfarmscience.files.word...tock_specific_migrations_juvenile_sockeye.pdf

Welch et al. concurs:
http://www.watershed-watch.org/word...11/04/David-Welch-PowerPoint-Presentation.pdf

I'd like to know what studies Walling has done to refute these data...

Great debate sockeyefry.

Ok Walling, Gryeland and other spin artists: bring it...

Myself, GLC and many others on this forum aren't waiting for the spin cycle to stop before we hang the BCSFA propaganda shirt (or sh*t) out to dry...

We hope that by presenting two key examples, viewers will think critically about the other information provided. Ms. Morton and her lawyer were given ample opportunity to present their case at the Cohen Commission of Inquiry into the Decline of the Sockeye Salmon in the Fraser River. After three years, $26 million (€ 20 million), and the testimony of dozens of expert witnesses, Judge Bruce Cohen stated in his final Cohen Commission report "Data presented during this Inquiry did not show that salmon farms were having a significant negative impact on Fraser River sockeye." (Final Report, Volume 3, p. 24, column 2).

Really Mary Ellen....Really.... here is the statement that was in the report.
Nice spin...... I'll see your quote and raise you a paragraph.

Data presented during this Inquiry did not show that salmon farms were having a significant negative impact on Fraser River sockeye. However,as noted above, the statistical power of the database(containing fish health data from 2004 to 2010) was too low to rule out significant negative impact. I accept the evidence of Dr. Korman and Dr. Dill that scientists need another 10 years of regulatory data (until at least mid-2020) before they can more confidently identify any relationships that may exist. As well, other than a few studies related to sea lice(mostly in species other than sockeye), DFO has not completed research into the effects of diseases and pathogens from salmon farms on wild Fraser River sockeye. Nor has DFO done any research into the cumulative effects on sockeye of having multiple salmon farms sited on their migration route. In sum, there are insufficient data (almost no data) to evaluate cause and effect relationships, and insufficient data (in terms of a time series of fish health data) to look for correlations between fish farm factors and measures of sockeye health such as productivity. As a result, significant scientific uncertainty remains around the effect of salmon farms on Fraser River sockeye salmon.
Continuing to collect fish health data from salmon farms into 2020 will eventually allow for a more statistically robust assessment of whether fish farms along the sockeye migration route are affecting Fraser River sockeye. However, mitigation measures should not be delayed in the absence of scientific certainty. Much research may be done around farm–sockeye interactions and cause and-effect relationships, which is not dependent on extending the time series of the fish health database. Additionally, in light of the uncertainty, and while DFO takes steps to better account for proximity to Fraser River sockeye in farm siting, it is appropriate to take measures to prevent any likelihood of harm from increasing. For that reason, I recommend no increase to salmon farm production in the Discovery Islands until such time as the impact of salmon farming on Fraser River sockeye can be determined, with some degree of certainty, to be minimal.
In summary, I have concluded that net-pen salmon farming in the Discovery Islands poses a risk of serious harm to Fraser River sockeye through the transfer of diseases and pathogens. The full extent and likelihood of that harm cannot be determined because of scientific unknowns. Precautionary measures should focus on filling the knowledge gaps and enabling DFO to adapt mitigation measures to new scientific information. I recognize that DFO may need some time to fulfill my research recommendations. However, as described above, I am also satisfied that British Columbians will not accept more than a minimal risk of serious harm to Fraser River sockeye from salmon farms. Therefore, it is appropriate to set deadlines to ensure that the uncertainty about the extent and likelihood of harm posed by salmon farms does not languish unaddressed.
In the recommendations that follow, based on the evidence I heard about the state of research and the strength of regulatory data, I have chosen September 30, 2020, as the date by which DFO should be able to assess, adequately, the likelihood of net-pen salmon farms causing serious harm to Fraser River sockeye. If, by that date, DFO cannot confidently say the risk of serious harm is minimal, it should prohibit all net-pen salmon farms from operating in the Discovery Islands. If, before that date, DFO finds farms to pose more than a minimal risk of serious harm to Fraser River sockeye, those farms should be promptly removed.

So they were talking about a fish health database and how the lack of data was holding them back to be able to say the fish farm feedlots were causing harm. Mary Ellen never mentioned that did she.....

Aside from the specific effect on Fraser Sockey and other runs, which is obviously up for debate...the salmon farm industry is sucking our whole ecosystem dry just feeding the lot!!! That is an extreme statement....but so are the facts.

It is no wonder that DFO has no intention of stopping the herring roe fishery, when that is the secret(the public has no clue) food source of the industry that DFO is mandated to protect and enhance. So, of the 6,723.094 tonnes(over the quota by a measly 80 or so TONNES!!) of herring taken in the Georgia Strait, around 1007 Tonnes would be headed to asia in the form of roe and the vast majority of the rest(DFO herring manager told me last week that pretty much all) goes to feed the fish farms. This isn't even counting the food and bait fishery...which also feeds the farms. SO, the large(as wise; needed to guide the young back to traditional spawning grounds) female breeders selectively harvested for the short term gain and the expense of the future generations, and the ecosystem that it feeds. This is kind of like killing all mature mothers and then leaving the teenage moms to raise the next generation.

Another large food source for the salmon farm industry is Eusphasiid(krill). But don't worry there isn't too much taken: "Don't know if this gives you any comfort, but looking at the Eusphasiid IFMP, it is limited to 500 tonnes, with limits on specific sub areas." Quote from UNNAMED fisheries manager. And no, only 500 tonnes does not give me any comfort.

So, aside from the immediate effect on the fry heading out to see, there is a much larger effect on the ecosystem as a whole in that it is removing a great deal of food source for our BC salmon populations, young and old. It is no surprise that salmon populations are suffering when they have little food to rely on when the leave the rivers.

And, how does any Canadian citizen justify the compensation by the Canadian Government, at market value for fish that have to be destroyed because of disease?! That is just plain crazy talk! There are few other industries that make the same amount for their product whether it goes to market or has to be destroyed because of mismanagement. And if mismanagement is not the right word to describe the allowed spread of disease through their 'product' to the point that the entire population has to be destroyed, then give me a better term. Even more deplorable is allowing the companies to actually harvest and serve the infected product to the public.

CORUPT!!

ANOTHER exellent post GLC!! Well done. It's so rewarding having your input on this forum - keepng things above board and informed.

AND thanks Englishman for your posts and kind comments a ways back in the thread.

AndrewP - Interesting post. Are there any references available about the herring usage?

So far - have found 1 reference from Tacon 2004:
http://www.fao.org/docrep/012/i1140e/i1140e04.pdf

"In 2004, the domestic aquaculture sector within the region used 469 500 tonnes of fishmeal (13.3 percent of total fishmeal production within the region) and 237 910 tonnes of fish oil (35.1 percent of total fish oil production within the region), the largest consumers of fishmeal and fish oil being salmonids and marine shrimp."

the rest goes for pet food - I am assuming..

Agentaqua, The only concrete references that I can seem to find out there in easy to find google realm, is for the food and bait and special use herring fishery. I would love to see some actual stats.

I am purely spouting of my mouth(I tend to get a little passionate about this stuff) based on hearsay....

1. the plankton food from a herring resource manager...email signiture(his title is a conflict of interest):

A/Herring Resource Manager | Gestionnaire des ressources - hareng
Fisheries and Aquaculture Management | Gestion des pêches et de l'aquaculture
Fisheries and Oceans Canada | Pêches et Océans Canada

2. The herring roe fishery bi-product hearsay is from a phone call with the manager of a Vancouver Island fish processing plant that just processed a huge herring haul this spring who figured that most if not all of it was going to fish farm food.

just hearsay though....

Actually GLG, that's not the way it happened on the East Cost.

Fish are routinely tested, in NL, fish are sampled every 6 weeks by NLDFA staff. They are PCR'ed for viruses to get a quick indication of the possible presence of a virus. If they get a positive PCR, then the farm is put under a strict quarantine by CFIA, who call the shots from then on regarding the fate of the fish, not the farmer. The quarantine restricts vessel traffic, equipment and personnel movement, and so it should. the samples are sent for virus testing via Cell Line, which takes a minimum of 21 days for a CPE to indicate a real active virus is present. The virus also has to be typed to determine if its strain & virulence. If the Positove PCR is confirmed and the virus is virulent, the fish are destroyed. Compensation is determined by CFIA, not the farmer. Compensation for Gov. ordered livestock occurs not only in fish but also in terrestrial farms as well. If the PCR was false, the quarantine is lifted and the farmer resumes his normal activities which may include harvest.

This is exactly the same porocedure followed in BC. The PCR's were found to be false by subsequent virus testing.

Andrew P.

Not sure about the Herring caught in BC. But the majority of the fish meal used in salmon feeds comes from Peru and Chile. Same place the Chicken feed manufacturers get it.

The "region" in Agents post isn't BC, but the Americas (South and North)

Maybe we should be asking the Alaskans about their "Trans Boundary" effects eh Agent? Can't put that many hatchery fish into the Gulf of Alaska without impacting the survivalbility of the BC wild salmon that also go there?
I would assume this has a mucvh larger population level impact than a few salmon farms.
Notice they put out 1.7 billion and had only 47 million return ????? That's a 2.76% survival rate.

By the numbers: Aquaculture produced 1 in 3 Alaska salmon in 2012
Posted on April 2, 2013 by The Truth About Alaska Salmon

“When state management of Alaska’s salmon fisheries began in 1960, salmon abundance was historically low. In time, it was realized that effective fisheries management alone was not increasing abundance. In response to the historically low commercial salmon fishery harvests and the resulting ecomonic loss from reduced commercial harvest, the State of Alaska initiated a salmon fisheries enhancement program…The intent of the program was to meet the public need in fisheries by conserving wild stock salmon while contributing to the harvest by increasing salmon abundance through enhancement efforts” – 2012 ADF&G Annual Report, page 1

Alaska Department of Fish and Game has now released its annual report of the 2012 ”Fisheries and Enhancement Program”.

The 2012 highlights include;

1.8 billion eggs collected
1.7 billion juveniles salmon released
47 million hatchery-propogated salmon returned (24 million of those were pink salmon from hatcheries in Prince William Sound)
Commercial harvest was 127 million salmon
Hatchery-propogated ( aka “ranched”) salmon accounted for 34% of the 2012 salmon harvest in Alaska
By species. Alaska hatcheries contributed 67% chum, 36% pink, 19% coho, 17% Chinook and 6% sockeye salmon.
In 2013, it is expected that over 65 million hatchery-produced salmon will return.

That's a lot of speculation there Sockeye Fry. Especially the "I would assume this has a mucvh larger population level impact than a few salmon farms."
First - it's not just a FEW salmon farms. Vancouver Island is littered with them and nearly all are cited near the terminus of salmon migration routes (e.g. near rivers or streams in which salmon spawn). I personally feel that it would be hard to find worse places to site these salmon feedlots.

Second - there's a HUGE difference between the interaction of wild salmon with salmon/fry from hatcheries released into the wild and the interaction of wild salmon fry with salmon in feed lots. The major difference is that the feed lots concentrate salmon in a small volume and by doing so not only dramatically increase the rate of pathogen transmission from one fish to another, they provide an environment that is ideal for the production of higher virulence pathogens. E.g. by their very nature, the feed lots (AKA "salmon farms"), remove selective pressure on the pathogen by providing a constant and concentrated source of hosts in which the pathogen can propagate. In nature, there is selective pressure on the pathogen that selects against pathogens that kill their hosts too rapidly or too effectively. In a salmon feedlot, that selective pressure is largely removed.

Third - there are a number of good scientific studies that establish a very solid link between salmon farming and sea lice on fry that migrate past the fish farms. Here's link to what is IMHO the best scientific paper on this subject (it's not free to view the entire article yet).

http://www.esajournals.org/doi/pdf/10.1890/12-0519.1

Figures 3, 4 and 6 in the paper are the most interesting as they show:

A direct correlation between sea lice in the salmon farms and sea lice on juvenile out migrating salmon (figure 3 and 4a)
A decrease in sea lice on out migrating juveniles when the sea lice treatments at the farms are moved to reduce sea lice during the outmigration time frame (figure 4b) and
A huge change in the estimate mortality to juveniles as a result of the change in sea lice treatment protocols.

The part I have put in underlined, bold face is the most interesting part as it shows directly that by changing the sea lice treatments at the farms, one can directly effect the amount of sea lice on the smolts that migrate past them. This looks like pretty conclusive cause and effect data to me. It also demonstrates that there are protocols farms can follow to reduce their impact (protocols that were not previously followed and that are not universally followed at the present). However, it should be noted that sea lice may become resistant to the current treatments so one shouldn't assume that treatment protocol alone will be a long term solution to the problem.

Finally, in 86 posts to this site, you seem only to post to defend fish farms and don't post about recreational fishing in general. So I have to wonder what your agenda is here.

Thanks again for your posts, Sockeyefry. You've been busy. Always appreciate your knowledge and input.

I couldn't find a BC only reference for fish meal/oil use. I'm assuming that the situation in BC is similar to the larger geographic context.

Yes, there is an upper limit of carrying capacity for all salmon in the ocean. Adding more - for some years – could affect growth rates and survival of salmon. What that magic upper limit number is – is anybodies guess. Hard to predict not only retrospectively – but ahead of time in order to plan for and grow ranched fish. The productivity of areas of the ocean change annually. Sea surface temperature, PDO, iron and other nutrients, downwelling/upwelling, climate change – all play an important part and change seasonally, yearly and decade-ally. It's not just Alaska that releases extra salmon, though – Russia and Japan also do this.

Your post about CFIA and it's response is interesting. Not that I disagree about restricting vessel traffic – but has there been any studies about boats transferring disease vectors? Different hull types, disinfection procedures, viral virulence over time and distance, etc? I wonder what would happen if it went to court over CFIA's restriction of navigation? I wonder how/what is the largest transfer risk: pleasure boats, fish transport and fish feed supply vessels, escapees, birds, or processing water? How do you safely transport diseased fish to the processing plants? How is processing water treated? Filtered, held in tanks ashore, heat or chemically treated? Is processing water tested for pathogens in order to test treatment effectiveness?

Excellent post seadna!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back