N.S. fish farm rejected: risk to wild salmon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
To quote from the Cohen Commission Recommendations:

If at any time between now and September 30,
2020, the minister of fisheries and oceans
determines that net-pen salmon farms in the
Discovery Islands (fish health sub-zone 3-2)
pose more than a minimal risk of serious
harm to the health of migrating Fraser River
sockeye salmon, he or she should promptly
order that those salmon farms cease
operations.

To quote from the article above:

The federal department said the site would represent a moderate risk to wild salmon. The province said it is the first time Fisheries and Oceans has described a proposed fish farm as representing a moderate risk to wild salmon.

Sounds like on the East Coast DFO see things quite a lot differently than they historically have on our West Coast... hopefully this is a sign that things are changing. Quite a historic announcement I would say.

And BTW pro-fish farm apologists, MODERATE RISK > MINIMAL RISK. Time for the truth to be told.

Have they woke up yet and smelled the dead zones below and near these pens ........ How pathetic the Goverenment old and new still turning away ...... Even from their own scientists ..........

Manage to ZERO. ...... This I Believe is their long term goal.

THE TELEGRAM
Russell Wangersky: The not so wild, wild world of N.L. salmon
Russell Wangersky rwanger@thetelegram.com
Published on September 23, 2017
http://www.thetelegram.com/opinion/...a-not-so-wild--wild-world-of-n-l--salmon.html

just gave this a quick read as I am on my way for a fishing trip..wow...can this be true???
Or is it "false news"
"the research says. “Results indicate that levels of hybridization were higher in smaller populations, hybridization had pre-dated the 2013 escape event, and some hybrids were reproductively viable.
Let that sink in for a moment: the research says one in three fish are hybrids, it’s not just one escape that’s to blame, and the genetic genie is out of the bottle, because the hybrids are themselves reproducing."

Last edited:
ISA virus prompts salmon harvest on Newfoundland's south coast
Provincial fisheries minister Gerry Byrne says no risk to human health
By Terry Roberts, CBC News Posted: Oct 24, 2017
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/isa-salmon-cooke-aquculture-1.4369399

"Byrne said the infection is naturally occurring, is not harmful to humans, and may have been spread from wild salmon in the area."

No mention from the provincial fisheries minister Gerry Byrne that the virus found in these pens may be spread to wild salmon in the area... WTF?

Trying to blame the wild salmon for this... lol. And trying to normalize it. How low will the government and industry stoop? We all have seen how low, but this is a new low for sure, Shows they just don't give a dam.

Thxs for keeping us informed AA,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back