MY SMOKER thanks to ironnoggin

Here is a picture of 3 different types of fish the worst being the white spring...(NOT) next is coho then red spring.

When i did the tuna last year same mixture but only allowed smoker to get to 100 degrees and lower that tuna cooks FAST made the mistake the first time....

Attachments

• 20141218_100533.jpg
    20141218_100533.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 334
I agree looks a little sooty to me. What's up with that wolfy? I would summize that the alder was not seasoned, sending pitch through the fire box. Just wondering?;) eman

Like i said before sugar content when cooked does what??? turns brown ...
definitely not sooty or ashing impossible the way the smoker is built but go ahead think what you want had more people over today and it got inhaled ... if you want come on over ill let you try it ...the glaze also turns brown NOT BLACK ....

try and help people here and this is what happens wow impressive ....

I'd love to give it a try. I've just never seen a color like that. I didn't even realize at first that black stuff was fish. Every interesting...... Maybe you can tell us more as to why it's so black. Are you using some sort of special sugar?

Wolf What are you using for wood for smoking? If its alder or a fruit, remove the bark. Bark gives a bit of a bitter taste, and does colour it a bit. The pure core of the wood is the best.

try and help people here and this is what happens wow impressive ....
Hey Wolf- you always get that-the nature of forums I guess-the majority of people who get what you are demonstrating are thankful for the advice-they may or may not try it but that doesn't matter. I like all the different ideas I get here some I copy outright others I modify-I'm happy if people even try my stuff-if they have a few suggestions I'm ok with that too. Going to give the dry brine method another go-after all I use that method for Indian candy and when you think about it the salt you use is to draw out the water-why would you deliver that ingredient wet?

Abandoned the wet brine 20 + years ago. never went back. Dry brine is ALWAYS the way to go. So much easier and flavourful and it allows you to smoke to whatever level of "cooked" you prefer in about half the time. Wet brined salmon still has too much moisture and it takes a lot of time to hot smoke that moisture out of the fish. When you dry brine, you can go to a very moist lightly cooked fish, or you can dry it out to jerky and the entire process can be done in less than 12 hours.

Hey wolf, my sincerest apologies if I offended you with my comment. Your contributions on here are incomparable. I realize your sense of pride in the products you produce and would never criticize them, as I'm sure no one else was either. It was merely an observation with no offense intended.;) eman

Tried Wolfs recipe and couldn't be happier, no more wet brine for our team. Keep up the good work big guy.
Here's the end result
cheers

I am surprised reading through thread how many people were afraid to use dry brine.... I guess I started off with dry mix so never used the other method The mix I use is similar to most on here of totally reduced the salt over the years.... Made huge difference...

I just got 50lbs of coho smoked at St Jean's and they are a perfect example..There stuff tastes sweet but not salty..... You just don't need that much...

The next ones I am trying to do are the peppercorn candy that ST Jeans does and the cajun hot smoke...

Roy's smoker has inspired me I am thinking of building something similar so I can do a huge batch at one time... But more of a sheet metal enclosure fabbed up....

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys inspired me to do a small batch of candied sockey for christmas day. Honey spiced rum glaze. Crappy cell phone pic

Attachments

• 20141224_113616.jpg
    20141224_113616.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 224
Back