MY SMOKER thanks to ironnoggin

Ahh good point. I would think a fridge though would have to be somewhat safe, giving what it's used for, wouldn't want to mess around with that though. My vision would be to gut the inside of it, remove the compressor and refrigeration components, just use the shell and mount some racks in it from a small bbq or something similar, and add an exterior smoker box. Probably couldn't beat it for insulation either. As I vision it and think about it, it seems like more and more work though, probably not cheap when all said and done.
I have made 2 old fridges into smokers with mixed results. The first one was a steel lined fridge (really old one) and it work great for years. ABout 20 years ago I made one out of a newer fridge with a plastic liner. It got too hot on the inside and melted all the liner and destroyed everything inside. That was on the very first time I tried it and in hindsight, Iu am very glad that I never ate anything out of that smoker. Now I use a big chief and have never bothered making another one. When I retire on the island, I'll probably copy Roy's design here.

VERY Great Work Buddy! All Round that is!! ;)

Building a "new" one shortly myself, and am sincerely looking forward to it's first few runs. AFTER fishing season that is! LOL!

Made me downright HUNGRY reading this! Off to the Candy! :cool:

Cheers,
Nog

I live in a rental so don't have the option of permanence. I currently have an old Bradley smoker and love the ability to separate the heat from the smoke feature. Plus the convenience of the pucks. But it is limping along and will soon be in need of replacement. My question to those of you out there who have switched up to the digital models. Is the extra $100 for the digital model worth it?

Hire me ill do it for you, B55

After doing all of this just purchased a chamber vacuum sealer as well, no more **** food saver bags for me. after using this new machine ill never go back the thing ROCKS....

Did 50 lbs of salmon fillets chunks (2 to 3 lbers)the other day had it done in less than an hour....

wolf

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately present and subsequent landlords would object. I can store my Bradley for the winner. But that smoker is absolutely awesome. Truly an artistic work of art.

I don't have the funds for a chamber sealer this year. Needed a stop gap measure so am purchasing a Weston 2300. No more Food Saver with broken seals for me

Ill smoke the fish for you is what im saying!!!!LOL
then seal it too

Beauty! I just have a pathetic little mini-chief so big-time jealous (though good enough that I just smoked up two batches of kokanee, so not complaining!!). My buddy has a big, home-made wooden smoker that's practically a walk-in, but rarely gets fired up unless he gets a moose and a couple deer. He also has a converted hot dog cart that smokes the majority of our salmon. Works great but just not the same as those home-made wooden beauties. Just wait until your smokehouse gets more and more seasoned Wolf, will only get better over time!

Ukee

Do you use some sort of screening process on the smoke going through the pipe to prevent your meat from being covered in ash, or is something that is inevitable and the meat is just cleaned once it has been smoked?

Great smoker,interested in what type ofchamber sealer you purchased.
Hire me ill do it for you, B55

After doing all of this just purchased a chamber vacuum sealer as well, no more **** food saver bags for me. after using this new machine ill never go back the thing ROCKS....

Did 50 lbs of salmon fillets chunks (2 to 3 lbers)the other day had it done in less than an hour....

wolf

I got pics in the "chamber sealer" thread

SMOKING day today over 60 lbs of it and it turned out great had to sample some of it of course.... LOL here is pics of it
got white spring.red spring coho and pinks and must admit the pinks are great GF liked it the best as she said it was mild and flavorful go figure LOL

Attachments

• DSCN3507.jpg
    DSCN3507.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 658
  • DSCN3504.jpg
    DSCN3504.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 657
  • DSCN3505.jpg
    DSCN3505.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 655
YUP i like to use almost every part I can and the collars are sooooo tasty.
All im using is 4 cups of brown sugar 1 cup demera and 1 cup of salt, i put mine in bus boys spread the mixture (heavy) after 1 day its a "wet" brine then I wash it all off and dry for about 5 hours (covered that on the last thread from RS Craven ) then smoked it for over 6 hours at 125F im a nebwbie but getting it down for sure all about the temp control thats for sure

Don't want to steal Wolf's thunder or thread but an alternate wet brine that works well and is not salty, 16 cups water, 2 cups Demerara sugar (brown OK) 2/3 cup salt(non-iodized) 1/2 shot glass of worchestirshire sauce. Does 2 -15 to 18 lb springs or equivalent. Leave in brine 2 full days. Dry on the racks with a fan blowing 4 to 5 hours or overnite. Oil the racks-smoke for 3 hours at the lowest temp you can-100 degrees is nice then slowly raise to 125 degrees until the desired state of dryness ( another 3 to 6 hours depending on thickness) is achieved. I spray a scotch sugar solution or rum sugar solution over the fish at least 3 times during the process.

Attachments

• DSC01127.jpg
    DSC01127.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 616
  • smoked salmon.jpg
    smoked salmon.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 621
Thanks for the recipe's. I did a batch up last night. Wondering though if it is necessary to get the temperature higher toward the end of the smoking. Say 150-170F? Or do you just stay at the 125F. I don't want to dry it out.

Back