'Must Have' Options for Boat Build?

I find I don't use my transom door much. I'd rather have a side door for loading from the dock.

Definitely put in at least 1, preferably 2 bilge pumps.

Diesel heater, I have a Webasto and can't say anything bad about it.

Forward sloping window, cuddy in the front.

I'd chop my pilothouse a foot or two shorter if it was easy to do. Just enough space for two forward facing seats and 1 seat behind each front seat. Not gonna usually have more than 4 people fishing on a 22 footer. My fishing deck is a bit short.

Absolutely add the steering station in the back or a quality remote control autopilot, either or both will be pricey but you don't want to be the guy stuck in the hot pilot house steering while everyone fishes in the back on a beautiful sunny day.

Here's my 22 footer (+pod)

Attachments

• _20160606_154058.JPG
    _20160606_154058.JPG
    251.7 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Just a small item to add to the many good suggestions, it's regarding music. I prefer to use music from my phone played over a bluetooth speaker, lots less money and hassle than installing speakers, amp and source devices. If you are a Sirius/XM subscriber (I have one in my truck), you can get their app on your phone and use it there without having to install a second receiver on your boat. I also recommend installing a 12V outlet with USB ports, they're about $30. Keep a spare charging cord for your phone on board and you'll never run out of battery again.
15982036_LRG.jpg

inverter, led lighting, I have 1 bilge pump in bow and 2 in stern, extra scotty plugs in the stern, toilet,

Trim tabs and suspension seats and transom door. as for the comments about adding beam that not the important part it's the width of the bottom that counts. Lots of boat have a 6' bottom and a 8' beam the bottom and floor is where u can get the space. If u get a 8'6" beam go with a 8' bottom this will make the sides more vertical and more room inside the boat.
I don't know quite how to explain this but some boats have the side of the boat sloped outwards to that if your toes are touching the side of the boat there is a gap to the gunnel. This means it is harder to lean over the gunnel and in the waves your thighs keep hitting the side. A better solution is your toes go under a shelf and the gunnel side is straight up so that your thigh rests against it when your are standing up straight. This usually means a wider gunnel top. A padded edge is nice but will wear over time.

I don't know quite how to explain this but some boats have the side of the boat sloped outwards to that if your toes are touching the side of the boat there is a gap to the gunnel. This means it is harder to lean over the gunnel and in the waves your thighs keep hitting the side. A better solution is your toes go under a shelf and the gunnel side is straight up so that your thigh rests against it when your are standing up straight. This usually means a wider gunnel top. A padded edge is nice but will wear over time.
Agreed, toe rails are mandatory.
Additionally organization of rods/nets/harpoons/gaffs/etc are paramount.
All items need a place out of the way not just laying on the deck.

This is the one thing I dislike about my boat. Toes touching the edge inside and about 4" from thighs to gunnel. Can be a little freaky leaning over to pull a crab trap in rough water.

Hey there, it sounds like you have thought of most things for this build but I figured I would chime in. I just finished building a 18'6 cope center console with a 8'3 beam last year and the project turned out awesome and figured I would pass along some thoughts.

- Beamy boats are so nice to have. My new boat is the widest boat I have ever run (For a smaller rig) and it just makes it seem huge. Big dance floors mean good party's! As well, a beamy boat may be more costly to push through the water but it creates such stability while moving at slow speeds. When you have multiple passenger's its nice not to have to worry about people staying on one side of the boat.
- Run piping and trays beneath the floor to bring wiring and cables everywhere and make these trays bigger than you think. It is so nice to have a boat with no wires or cables in sight and makes for super easy wash up as you don't have to clean in and around anything.
- You mentioned not installing a bilge pump? A good pump and all the hardware is less than $500 and so easy to install/wire/plumb before you weld in the floors. Drain plugs in boats do fail and without a bilge you are going for a swim or even worse if you spraying foam in the boat it is all going to get wet.

Just some thoughts......

Back